Kevin Spacey charges dropped

BgMstr4u
This topic is 1769 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Soooo..... The prosecution’s charges in the Nantucket case against Kevin Spacey have been dismissed.

Are there other cases pending against Spacey? If not, does that mean his career can continue?

Or has this process permanently damaged him? I certainly hope not.

I for one deeply admire his acting. I thought he was beyond superb in L.A. Confidential. His Frank Underwood in House of Cards has to be one of the finest television serial drama characters ever..

House of Cards was garbage without him. I love Wright, but she wasn't getting the quality writing to support the show on her own.

Spacey's stage acting is probably his most impressive: His was the only Iceman Cometh that I didn't fall asleep watching at some point.

His work in the film Glenngary Glen Ross was awesome.

House of Cards was garbage without him. I love Wright, but she wasn't getting the quality writing to support the show on her own.

Thanks, Ben. With him, garbage not so much. How many pedestrian vehicles are saved, redeemed, even classic because of fine acting. So many.....

Soooo..... The prosecution’s charges in the Nantucket case against Kevin Spacey have been dismissed.

Are there other cases pending against Spacey? If not, does that mean his career can continue?

This might be the only criminal case, but dropping this case does not wipe away Anthony Rapp's accusation nor the accusations made by the members of the Old Vic from when he was artistic director there. I don't see him acting again any time soon.

There is no defending, especially in today’s culture, using one’s power (& celebrity carries a degree of power, especially in show business) to prey on the vulnerable. On the other hand, as a culture, have we abandoned the concept of redemption? Certainly time needs to pass first but should Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey and others get a Soviet-style erasure from history or have an opportunity to apologize, maybe make some public amends and be judged on the totality of their lives?

If I knew the answer I’d share it. What do others think?

You bring up a very good subject for conversation and I'm not sure where I would go with your question. So, let's day Bill Cosby, a hero to many, a star to many, a person who gave money to many..OK, so do we give them a pass or "erasure"; if it was my daughter or person I know who had been a part of his sex acts, documented first, nope. I don't care. Spacey, same thing. But then again you have people like Travolta and others who have gotten away for such things for years, what are we to do?

Spacey's stage acting is probably his most impressive: His was the only Iceman Cometh that I didn't fall asleep watching at some point.

We disagree about Eugene O'Neill. Some of his plays are difficult to sit through (Audra McDonald in "Moon for the Misbegotten" in Williamstown) but not "The Iceman Cometh." But, I agree with you far more than disagree.

There is no defending, especially in today’s culture, using one’s power (& celebrity carries a degree of power, especially in show business) to prey on the vulnerable. On the other hand, as a culture, have we abandoned the concept of redemption? Certainly time needs to pass first but should Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey and others get a Soviet-style erasure from history or have an opportunity to apologize, maybe make some public amends and be judged on the totality of their lives?

If I knew the answer I’d share it. What do others think?

The two key points, to me, are "having opportunity to apologize" and "making amends." Unless I missed something, neither Cosby nor Spacey has acknowledged that they have abused others, let alone apologize or make amends. I think to be redeemed one has to at least own up to what they have done. If either one of them had a one-off accusation come forward I might be less ready to condemn them, but it seemed like every day there was a new accusation. Additionally, the incidents did not involve someone changing their minds (which is no excuse, but could potentially introduce the benefit of the doubt).

Cosby seems an order of magnitude worse than Spacey, unless I've missed some of his allegations.

Agreed. I think putting Cosby/Harvey and Kevin Spacey in the same category is pushing it a little.

Agree with both @sniper and @Benjamin_Nicholas.

I'd also add that Spacey implied that being gay had something to do with his behavior when he came out at the same time he made his statement. While still not in the same order of magnitude as Cosby/Harvey, I vote to not let him into the gay club.