Six in Chicago

m4same
This topic is 1717 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So, you saw Twelve? ;)

It's coming to the American Repertory Theatre in Boston (well, Cambridge) in August. Very interested in seeing it.

hahaha If it is the same as the Chicago production, and I assume it is, listen to the pre-show music. It's clever.

• 2 weeks later...
I was told it is based on the Six Wives of Henry the VIII. Is that true? It seems odd. I just saw the 30 second commercial and there was no age difference, etc. so I wondered if the Six Wives was the concept.

Yes, the concept is the six wives of Henry VIII in concert as current pop stars.

• 1 month later...
hahaha If it is the same as the Chicago production, and I assume it is, listen to the pre-show music. It's clever.

I saw it today in Boston. And yes, the pre-show music is indeed very clever - as is the whole show, IMO. Really fun. Had a great time, and really recommend this show for everyone. You don't even have to know that much about the Tudor history to understand what's going on - they do a great job of explaining the important stuff. But knowing it already does add to the fun. The lyrics are full of wonderful puns and rhymes, and the music is also a fun mixture of various rock styles (the "Haus Of Holbein" number is a scream, lol).

Also fun that the 4-piece band is onstage, spread across the stage, right there with the cast (I have a friend in the Boston band). The bass and guitar players (at least) play the show for memory, as they're right out near the playing space for the actors. And even though they don't truly participate as actors themselves, they are very much part of the show.

So glad I saw this. I may try to go again.

I saw it today in Boston. And yes, the pre-show music is indeed very clever - as is the whole show, IMO. Really fun. Had a great time, and really recommend this show for everyone. You don't even have to know that much about the Tudor history to understand what's going on - they do a great job of explaining the important stuff. But knowing it already does add to the fun. The lyrics are full of wonderful puns and rhymes, and the music is also a fun mixture of various rock styles (the "Haus Of Holbein" number is a scream, lol).

Also fun that the 4-piece band is onstage, spread across the stage, right there with the cast (I have a friend in the Boston band). The bass and guitar players (at least) play the show for memory, as they're right out near the playing space for the actors. And even though they don't truly participate as actors themselves, they are very much part of the show.

I saw it twice and loved it both times. And it was nice seeing so many younger people enjoying a theatrical show.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Well not to be too picky, well it really is too picky but hey...in the preview they sing a song and state they are ex-wives when in fact there are two ex-wives Catherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves, three late wives Anne Boyle Jane Seymour and Katherine Howard and one widow Katherine Parr. But I guess the are two exes three lates and a widow is not as easy to fit into a song a six exes.

Henry VIII was a randy fellow, just wish he had expanded his horizons to include a few male sex partners. I guess one never truly knows what goes on between the sheets of the king.

Edited by purplekow

Well not to be too picky, well it really is too picky but hey...in the preview they sing a song and state they are ex-wives when in fact there are two ex-wives Catherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves, three late wives Anne Boyle Jane Seymour and Catherine Howard and one widow Katherine Parr. But I guess the are two exes three lates and a widow is not as easy to fit into a song a six exes.

Yup, that's picky lol. Technically, as the show takes place in the present (THAT's your suspension of disbelief...), they indeed are all ex-wives.

Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. No matter how they became exes, they all did.

I beg to differ but I would never refer to my late wife as my ex-wife. She was and will always will be my wife. If I were to marry again I would have a wife and a late wife but not ex=wife and though it is probably acceptable I would not refer to anyone as a second wife. However, if we divorced each other I would have no problem with the term ex-wife and I might even use the harsher words to describe her in that circumstance.

I beg to differ but I would never refer to my late wife as my ex-wife. She was and will always will be my wife. If I were to marry again I would have a wife and a late wife but not ex=wife and though it is probably acceptable I would not refer to anyone as a second wife. However, if we divorced each other I would have no problem with the term ex-wife and I might even use the harsher words to describe her in that circumstance.

I agree absolutely, context is everything. When one is talking about a real live person, it would be inappropriate. In the context of a stage performance that seeks to bring to life people who lived 450 years ago I don't think it fails that sensitivity test. If the real women could be brought back together and adjust to 21st century sensibilities (and, for some, to speak English), it would not come as too much of a surprise if they did so themselves.

I agree absolutely, context is everything. When one is talking about a real live person, it would be inappropriate. In the context of a stage performance that seeks to bring to life people who lived 450 years ago I don't think it fails that sensitivity test. If the real women could be brought back together and adjust to 21st century sensibilities (and, for some, to speak English), it would not come as too much of a surprise if they did so themselves.

I understand the concept of disbelief and agree that in the play they may all be ex-wives. My nitpick was the Hentry VIII had only two ex-wives, three late wives and one widow. Still, I have enjoyed reading about Henry in the past and would probably like to see this. IIs Anne of Cleves really homely? Is Catherine of Aragon also his sister-in-law? Is Anne Boylean really a manipulative hussy with men on the side? It would be entertaining to match the characters with what we know of their real life counterparts.