6.4 Magnitude Earthquake, Mojave Desert

E.T.Bass
This topic is 1784 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I heard a funny crackling sound in my bedroom wall and stood up to investigate, when the floor beneath me made a sudden quick rolling motion. My spouse, who was lying on the living room sofa, called out, "What the hell was that? Oh....an earthquake." That was all. It was much less dramatic than the much closer Calexico quake several years ago, when I was sitting on the edge of our pool as the whole yard started to roll and the water splashed back and forth as I tried to keep from sliding in.

The "sky is falling" screamers now have the chance to take their frightful focus off the Independence Day festivities (tanks and all) in D.C. and transfer it all to the left coast where the sky really is falling...

Kipp

In South Laguna Beach, felt nothing. At a friend’s house on the beach to watch fireworks at night and everyone was getting text messages, emails and phone calls from out-of-town friends asking if they were OK; that was the first any of us knew about the quake.

My neighbor texted: "We are having an earthquake"

I responded: "No that's my roommate running around the condo"

Neighbor: "OMG for real?

Neighbor: "I about freaked out."

Neighbor: "No the house shook all the way through the stairs."

5 minutes later, Neighbor: "(Neighbor #2) felt it! It WAS and earthquake."

Typical, earthquake felt like a freight train passing by. Big ones feel like the freight train derailing in your room.

And much stronger in San Diego. Went on for a while here.

My brother and his wife live in San Diego. She's a native Californian, my brother has spent most of his life in New England. They're ok, but she did say that he was freaking out a little. Their dog seems to have slept right through it all, lol. All is well for now.

2nd earthquake that strong in matter of days? Scary, hopefully it stays out of populated areas-I remember the footage from the San Francisco quakes-I think it was the Bay bridge that cracked?

More than just cracked ... a 50 section dropped enough that a car teetered over the edge. And the epicenter was 50 miles away, but the underground structure of the region caused local amplifications. A long double-decker section of freeway collapsed on the other side of the bay; normally it would have been bumper-to-bumper with commute hour traffic, but Oakland was playing SF in the world series and a lot of folks went home early to watch the game and traffic was much, much lighter than usual.