If You Can Find A Better Car, Buy It

azdr0710
This topic is 1794 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I remember when in the 1980's Lee Iacocca declined an effort to draft him as a Democrat nominee for President. I continue to feel that was a loss for our country.

The following passage from his 2007 book appears to be a striking foreboding of the present.

On May 17, 2007, Simon & Schuster published Iacocca's book, Where Have All the Leaders Gone?, co-written with Catherine Whitney. In the book, Iacocca writes:

Am I the only guy in this country who's fed up with what's happening? Where the hell is our outrage? We should be screaming bloody murder. We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind, and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car. But instead of getting mad, everyone sits around and nods their heads when the politicians say, "Stay the course." Stay the course? You've got to be kidding. This is America, not the damned Titanic. I'll give you a sound bite: Throw the bums out!

I remember when in the 1980's Lee Iacocca declined an effort to draft him as a Democrat nominee for President. I continue to feel that was a loss for our country.

The following passage from his 2007 book appears to be a striking foreboding of the present.

On May 17, 2007, Simon & Schuster published Iacocca's book, Where Have All the Leaders Gone?, co-written with Catherine Whitney. In the book, Iacocca writes:

Am I the only guy in this country who's fed up with what's happening? Where the hell is our outrage? We should be screaming bloody murder. We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind, and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car. But instead of getting mad, everyone sits around and nods their heads when the politicians say, "Stay the course." Stay the course? You've got to be kidding. This is America, not the damned Titanic. I'll give you a sound bite: Throw the bums out!

Apt words indeed. This is exactly the result of the election of 2016. President Trump is the iconoclast of political dead wood and the breaker of taboo tradition. "Stay the course" was the theme of the Busch, and Obama/Hillary years.

Glorious Fourth,

Kipp

I was a junior banker on Chrysler account at a bank the was a crucial link between Chrysler’s US banks and its European lenders.

President Carter was not a fan of the bailout plan that involved a government guarantee until Coleman Young, mayor of Detroit in the back seat of the presidential limo pointed that all of Chrysler’s 5 manufacturing plants were in central cities or adjacent to a city and that one in 5 black employed workers would become jobless.

There was a multi day bankers meeting at the RenCen hotel in Detroit that ended with luncheon at which Lee Iacocca presented the latest version of the bale out plan. I flew back to NYC in time make to colleague’s bachelor party but left almost immediately with what appeared to be stomach virus. After a very rough night I dragged myself into the office to file a report to the European lenders. I called my contacts at Chrysler to fill in few blanks or verify points in my report. I got thru to none of them. By Monday morning it became evident that what they and I and many other bankers had was food poisoning from that luncheon. If i remember correctly one junior banker on the west coast died of it.

In all the meetings I attended, Lee Iacocca was dynamic forthright and honest. RIP