Young man needs help

kevininsa
This topic is 1776 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The privilege in this post is just dripping off, and pretty damn satisfying... ooooooooof

A wealthy white male who was “not given anything”

Ha!

Why, black or Asian or Latin origin people can have money too. Yes that gives you a safety net as opposed to a child of a single parent on drugs or who abandoned their kid or a kid in foster care. But still it looks like they didn't give any money sans basic support and he figured out how to do it right up till masters?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just reeks of the “pick yourself up by your bootstraps” mentality that fails to acknowledge his societal privilege as a conventionally attractive, cis, white, wealthy-enough male who (probably) had access to the right schools and extracurricular opportunities and some amount of family support and knowledge about the college process.

That’s what I mean, if it’s unclear I will try to explain. Benji can correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t know everything about his upbringing, but I was just going based on his parents being able to afford putting him through a (probably) expensive school.

Why, black or Asian or Latin origin people can have money too. Yes that gives you a safety net as opposed to a child of a single parent on drugs or who abandoned their kid or a kid in foster care. But still it looks like they didn't give any money sans basic support and he figured out how to do it right up till masters?

It just reeks of the “pick yourself up by your bootstraps” mentality that fails to acknowledge his societal privilege as a conventionally attractive, cis, white, wealthy-enough male who (probably) had access to the right schools and extracurricular opportunities and some amount of family support and knowledge about the college process.

That’s what I mean, if it’s unclear I will try to explain. Benji can correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t know everything about his upbringing, but I was just going based on his parents being able to afford putting him through a (probably) expensive school.

But the problem with your point is that that is not the kind of person this thread is about. It's about a kid from a financially secure family who feels entitled to handouts into his adulthood. If Benjamin (or I or anyone else) had posted similar comments in a thread about a poor former foster youth who was using GoFundMe to try to attend college, your critique would be warranted. Here -- not so much.

But the problem with your point is that that is not the kind of person this thread is about. It's about a kid from a financially secure family who feels entitled to handouts into his adulthood. If Benjamin (or I or anyone else) had posted similar comments in a thread about a poor former foster youth who was using GoFundMe to try to attend college, your critique would be warranted. Here -- not so much.

Absolutely correct. Benjamin wasn't saying that he didn't benefit from privilege. He was saying that given whatever else his background afforded him, his parents didn't add to that by funding his college.