Condoms That Change Color In Contact with STD Win Tech Award

hypothetically
This topic is 1792 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

teens-sex-parents.jpg

Three British teens—two 14-year-olds and one 13-year-old—have proposed an idea for a new type of condom that could detect sexually transmitted diseases amongst intimate partners. The Washington Post reports:

There would be antibodies on the condom that would interact with the antigens of STDs, causing the condom to change colors depending on the disease…For instance, if the condom were exposed to chlamydia, it might glow green — or yellow for herpes, purple for human papilloma virus and blue for syphilis.

The proposal won the trio the top prize in the U.K.’s TeenTech Awards, and they have already reportedly been approached by condom companies. The idea, however, is not without its imperfections...

Read full article here.

Awesome invention!!!

Unfortunately, this could possibly deter more people from using condoms altogether.

A lot of casual sex is based on dishonesty (or at least lack of full disclosure or concern the the health of their partners).

I sincerely hope that the opposite happens and more people will use the condoms for their own awareness as well. More people can get treated for STDs, and the infection rates (which are currently on the rise), can decrease.

So they didn't actually invent it, they just thought of it? I mean, isn't that kind of like saying, "I invented a flying belt" and getting a prize because that would be cool?

Wait, you had the latitude to come up with any great idea at all to make your point, and the best you could do is a flying belt?

Kevin Slater