ESTA- How often is too often?

tassojunior
This topic is 1819 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Several friends from the EU visit a lot and they are concerned that too many visits during the 2 year visa waiver ESTA would be too many. There are rumors that people can be denied for too much time in the US. My friends have been here 6 weeks for visits twice the past year. I googled and despite some scare fears, it seems unlimited usually is fine so long as no stay is over 90 days. Some business people come in several times a month and some people stay here 89 days, go out, and return the next day.

What about 6 month visas?

Any experience ?

ps- these guys are really worth keeping in the US as much as possible.

I can’t say about the US, but I have had friends denied entry into the EU

even though they were technically within the legal limits for the duration

and number of days allowed. No doubt they were pushing the limit and

entering and exiting with great frequency, but they were clearly within

the letter of the law. At the end of the day, it’s pretty fucking arbitrary

and it’s up to the individual immigration officer.

Don’t like it? “Feel free to appeal our decision when you get home. In the

mean time, don’t attempt to re-enter the EU for the next 3 months or the ban

will be made permanent.” Harsh but true.

When I young and used to jet-set to Europe on a regular basis (to the point

that the immigration officers and I knew each other), I raised a few eyebrows.

I always told the truth “I’m here to get laid and then I’m going home”. It always

got a laugh and my passport stamped without any more problems.

Several friends...are concerned that too many visits during the 2 year visa waiver ESTA would be too many...rumors that people can be denied for too much time in the US...it seems unlimited usually is fine so long as no stay is over 90 days.

As a very frequent visitor to the US over many years, I’ve never had a problem with the Border Control/Immigration Authorities. I used to have a visa but it was automatically cancelled once the ESTA was introduced.

I have asked the Officers a couple of times in recent years about the number of visits. Each time the response has been that It’s not a problem. Just keep the stay to 89 days - one Officer pointed out that if there was a problem with my return flight/aircraft and it was postponed for 24 hours, that way I’d still comply with the 90 day rule.

The only problem I can foresee with frequent visits/long stays is that the IRS will become interested. (A few years back, I was involved with a handsome young actor. For over a year, I commuted monthly to LA and stayed with him for 2 weeks each time at his place in Century City. I came onto the IRS’s radar and had to answer several questions about where I paid my income taxes (Spain). But having answered satisfactorily, there were no problems on further visits).

Several friends from the EU visit a lot and they are concerned that too many visits during the 2 year visa waiver ESTA would be too many. There are rumors that people can be denied for too much time in the US. My friends have been here 6 weeks for visits twice the past year. I googled and despite some scare fears, it seems unlimited usually is fine so long as no stay is over 90 days. Some business people come in several times a month and some people stay here 89 days, go out, and return the next day.

What about 6 month visas?

Any experience ?

ps- these guys are really worth keeping in the US as much as possible.

There is no definitive nor concrete answer. While the rule of thumb is 90 days within a 180 day period, I’ve learned it is really at the discretion of border control/customs and from where you enter and exit the country. Additionally, what country you are from. I know many boys who have dodged a bullet and received a slap on the wrist but I also know boys who have been fined, detained and deported.