General Pulaski was an Intersex

tassojunior
This topic is 1858 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Out of curiosity.

Is it more correct to say “was an intersex” or “was intersex” or “was intersexed?”

"An intersex" is incorrect, as "intersex" is an adjective, not a noun. As for choosing between intersex or intersexed, I don't know, but if the progression of the term transgender is any indication, "intersex" is the more current and acceptable usage.

"An intersex" is incorrect, as "intersex" is an adjective, not a noun. As for choosing between intersex or intersexed, I don't know, but if the progression of the term transgender is any indication, "intersex" is the more current and acceptable usage.

Does this mean LGBTQ will soon be LGBIQ?

Does this mean LGBTQ will soon be LGBIQ?

No, there's already a LGBTQIA acronym, which is why a lot of people, especially younger people, have started using "queer" as a catchall description for everyone who's not heteronormative.

I realize that's considered a hurtful slur by some people, but the moment the name for the scholarly endeavor of studying non-normative sexuality became queer studies, the argument against using the term as a catchall lost its power. If queerness is what the academy studies, then how can it be all that offensive to use the term for oneself? Everything else is either cumbersome or exclusionary.