Streisand on Michael Jackson

bigjoey
This topic is 1875 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Streisand issued this statement a little while ago:

To be crystal clear, there is no situation where it is o.k. for the innocence of children to be take advantage of by anyone.

New York Times

Streisand's response is both a very human one and an immoral one.

At the risk of making myself unpopular here, it isn't all that different from letting James Levine continue to take advantage of students until he was about to retire because he was such an artistic boon to the Met. Granted, his victims weren't as young, but many of them were still underage, and comments similar to Striesand's were made about them on this very forum when they went public.

Streisand issued this statement a little while ago:

To be crystal clear, there is no situation where it is o.k. for the innocence of children to be take advantage of by anyone.

New York Times

Didn't she just say it didn't kill them... and they're ok because they're married (to women) and have children?

She should just apologized and accept she said something awful.

This reminds me of Whoopi Goldberg (of all people) weighing in on the Roman Polanski rape situation.

All I could think of was "Why are we paying attention to this person??"

In the case of Roman Polanski, one could say that the victim, who is now an adult, was opposed to extradition and jail time, and her wishes should be paramount. (I assume she wasn't pressured into it by Polanski or his supporters.) One could also say it didn't make sense to let this lie fallow for many years and then take an interest in extraditing. But to try to minimize or excuse drugging and raping a thirteen year old is pretty extraordinary and hard to see as anything but callous.

Another comment from Steisand that I missed earlier:

I didn't mean to dismiss those boys experience in any way. Like all survivors of sexual assault they will have to carry it with them for the rest of their lives.

I feel deep remourse and I hope that James and Wade know that I truly respect them for speaking the truth.

Comment: Out of touch in Malibu and Beverly Hills and anywhere else she lives

Another comment from Steisand that I missed earlier:

I didn't mean to dismiss those boys experience in any way. Like all survivors of sexual assault they will have to carry it with them for the rest of their lives.

I feel deep remourse and I hope that James and Wade know that I truly respect them for speaking the truth.

Comment: Out of touch in Malibu and Beverly Hills and anywhere else she lives

Let's assume she changed her mind...

Agreed. What she described was their resilient response to a bad situation they couldn’t control. Good for them. However, from personal experience - despite being a father, a grandfather, and a husband - there are implications to these men from what happened to them decades ago.

I’m ultimately quite confused as to what point she was trying to make with her statement(s) and it seems like she just dug the hole deeper...I don’t think she did change her mind. Personally, I believe she just tried to contain the backlash disingenuously.

Have you ever thought about doing something?

She shouldn't have offered any statement to begin with since Michael Jackson's conduct (or alleged conduct) had nothing to do with her. One of my favorite statements from a famous musician (it was many years ago so I cannot recall if it was Rickie Lee Jones, but I think it was) was something along the lines of, "I don't talk about other people," when asked an obviously leading question about another musician. Why Barbra thought she had to give any opinion at all about Michael Jackson is beyond me, but what she did say initially was quite dismissive, even if she didn't intend it that way.

Agreed. What she described was their resilient response to a bad situation they couldn’t control. Good for them. However, from personal experience - despite being a father, a grandfather, and a husband - there are implications to these men from what happened to them decades ago.

I’m ultimately quite confused as to what point she was trying to make with her statement(s) and it seems like she just dug the hole deeper...I don’t think she did change her mind. Personally, I believe she just tried to contain the backlash disingenuously.

I wish you had doubled down on the possible life-changing "implications" rather than slammed Streisand. You made an excellent point and never took it to the next step.

Many people had always been critical of Streisand.

Edited by WilliamM

If you’re referring to pursuit of the rapist, unfortunately, it was not possible with strangers. Consider it more like the scene from Deliverance than like Neverland...

So disappointing. We're you not referring to the memories and nightmare dreams they had for the rest of their lives up to now?