Phone # matter?

LaffingBear
This topic is 1933 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Admittedly odd thing to fixate on.

As I'm researching for an upcoming trip, I find I'm ruling-out a couple of guys I find interesting, but with oddly-commercial phone numbers.

For example, two equally interesting guys. One advertises XXX-555-7654. The other advertises XXX-555-1000. (Hypothetical numbers, of course)

Unfounded, I know. And I suppose it could be coincidence. But there's something about the 1000 number that triggers a cautionary reaction for me.

Any telecommunications experts out there with thoughts on this? How likely is it that an individual can secure such a mainstream, commercially-desirable phone number?

As I'm researching for an upcoming trip, I find I'm ruling-out a couple of guys I find interesting, but with oddly-commercial phone numbers.

For example, two equally interesting guys. One advertises XXX-555-7654. The other advertises XXX-555-1000. (Hypothetical numbers, of course)

Unfounded, I know. And I suppose it could be coincidence. But there's something about the 1000 number that triggers a cautionary reaction for me.

Any telecommunications experts out there with thoughts on this? How likely is it that an individual can secure such a mainstream, commercially-desirable phone number?

It is not difficult at all. Back in the day, all area codes had "1" or "0" as the second digit, prefixes (the three digits after the area code) could not be the same as any area code, and "1000," "2000," etc numbers were reserved for large businesses that had switchboards. These days, they are all just numbers.

I think you are stressing over nothing. As everyone and their momma have a cell phone (possibly multiple) and the land lines still in existence, the combination of numbers are more limited than ever. So any number that at one time delineated a particular business or service... well most no longer do as @rvwnsd has suggested. A number is just a number.

I have a commercially desirable number too. Back when I bought my first cell phone, I had a tech issue that went unsolved for months while my carrier gave me the runaround. When I finally got a high level exec on the line, he told me I needed a new number. He gave me a good number for my trouble.

That said, I can see why you’d wonder if it was forwarding to another number and why. I I’d definitely stay on your toes if you contact that guy.