The New Norm? Reactions in the modern era

LaffingBear
This topic is 1946 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As I'm searching the local SF theater website for Hamilton tickets, I see a statement from Hamilton. I missed this news story from this past Friday night.

https://people.com/theater/hamilton-performance-medical-emergency-injuries-san-francisco/

Statement Released By HAMILTON And SHN

The producers of HAMILTON and SHN are reviewing the events that brought an abrupt end to the performance in San Francisco last night and resulted in alarm and confusion for the audience at the SHN Orpheum Theatre. Uncertainty in the auditorium about a medical emergency taking place near the end of the show spread quickly and prompted the upset. Along with SHN, the owners of the Orpheum, we remain dedicated to protecting the safety of our audiences and our own company members in every city where HAMILTON plays.

Is this the new norm? Are we now so conditioned that we believe any disruption is gun violence?

I can't answer your questions readily @LaffingBear but as a foreigner I visit San Francisco regularly.

I saw the news report and if a similar incident occurred in a theatre or concert-hall in SF or NYC when I was present, I would simply not hang around to find out whether the rumour of gun violence was accurate. It's better to be cautious than dead.

...Is this the new norm? Are we now so conditioned that we believe any disruption is gun violence?

Unless management immediately addresses an incident like this, a fire alarm going off in a theater will result in pandemonium, regardless whether people think an active shooter is on a rampage.

In the case of this particular disruption, it is likely that the presumption of gun violence was fueled by the sound of gunfire from the stage production at that precise time:

"WFLA reported that the confusion may have been because the medical emergency came at the same time as a duel scene in the musical in which gunfire can be heard."