Singapore Airport Landing Approach

azdr0710
This topic is 1960 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

not really travel planning (as I don't want this relegated to the travel forum!), but only wondering if those here familiar with SIN know which direction a plane arriving there at 8 in the morning usually lands.....to the NE or SW??........is it almost always one way or the other at that time of day?.....I want to know what side of the plane to sit on!....thanks

st_20151221_vnkakair_1930112-page-001.jpg

Edited by azdr0710

Those runway markings are not realistic.

Runways are usually numbered according to their direction, more precisely called runway magnetic bearing or QFU (see Q codes).

Consider a plane flying toward the runway on final approach in a day without any wind. Divide its magnetic heading by 10, round it to the nearest whole number and you'll usually get the runway number. For example, if the magnetic heading is 345° then 345/10=34,5, so the runway number will be 35 which will be a runway used for landings (and takeoffs) to the north.

Opposite ends of the same runway have different numbers, 18 (which represents 180 degrees) apart. A runway with 35 for landings to the north will have runway 17 for landings to the south. Even though these are the same strip of concrete, they are treated as separate runways by pilots and controllers.

If there are two airports near one another with runways at the same angle, sometimes one of the airports will add or subtract one from the runway number to help planes differentiate between the airports.

Occasionally a runway number will change when the magnetic declination angle changes in such amount, making the runway magnetic bearing divided by 10 and rounded to the nearest whole number increase or decrease.

Some runways in areas of large magnetic declination use true instead of magnetic headings for the runway numbers. This is not unusual in northern Canada and Greenland.

When there is more than one parallel runway at an airport, L, R, or C may be appended to the runway number for Left, Right, or Center. These are based on the approach direction, so, for example, the runway 35L would be called 17R from the opposite direction.

thanks, @PapaTony ....my Dad was an airline captain, so I do know that a bit!!.......you and I need to hang out over a beer some day!!......

the runways at SIN are 2L/20R, 2C/20C, and 2R/20L.......the picture above (best I could find for this purpose) is from a 2015 article in The Straits Times and, based on a recent Google Earth picture, the new runway (2R/20L) is finished, but the taxiway connections are still being built.....and Terminal 4 is done.......Terminal 5 not started....

still wondering what the normal/usual approach is at 8AM!....

Edited by azdr0710

Those runway markings are not realistic.

Runways are usually numbered according to their direction, more precisely called runway magnetic bearing or QFU (see Q codes).

Consider a plane flying toward the runway on final approach in a day without any wind. Divide its magnetic heading by 10, round it to the nearest whole number and you'll usually get the runway number. For example, if the magnetic heading is 345° then 345/10=34,5, so the runway number will be 35 which will be a runway used for landings (and takeoffs) to the north.

Opposite ends of the same runway have different numbers, 18 (which represents 180 degrees) apart. A runway with 35 for landings to the north will have runway 17 for landings to the south. Even though these are the same strip of concrete, they are treated as separate runways by pilots and controllers.

If there are two airports near one another with runways at the same angle, sometimes one of the airports will add or subtract one from the runway number to help planes differentiate between the airports.

Occasionally a runway number will change when the magnetic declination angle changes in such amount, making the runway magnetic bearing divided by 10 and rounded to the nearest whole number increase or decrease.

Some runways in areas of large magnetic declination use true instead of magnetic headings for the runway numbers. This is not unusual in northern Canada and Greenland.

When there is more than one parallel runway at an airport, L, R, or C may be appended to the runway number for Left, Right, or Center. These are based on the approach direction, so, for example, the runway 35L would be called 17R from the opposite direction.

OMG! Why did I have to read this while so many air traffic controllers are off duty?

71SUoobp-WL._UX385_.jpg

not really travel planning (as I don't want this relegated to the travel forum!), but only wondering if those here familiar with SIN know which direction a plane arriving there at 8 in the morning usually lands.....to the NE or SW??........is it almost always one way or the other at that time of day?......thanks

st_20151221_vnkakair_1930112-page-001.jpg

Of course, this could only come from a man whose idea of fun includes watching planes in and out of LAX from an In-an-Out Burger parking lot.

;)

Of course, this could only come from a man whose idea of fun includes watching planes in and out of LAX from an In-an-Out Burger parking lot.

;)

And I'm sure he'll be watching QF11 (A380) landing at 0600 on Thursday. Or not. (Not to be confused with the B787 QF15 from Brisbane or the other A380 from Melbourne arriving about the same time. All those red tailfins look the same.)

(In Sydney, 16L/34R is always referred to as 'the third runway' in the normal public.)

thanks, @PapaTony ....my Dad was an airline captain, so I do know that a bit!!.......you and I need to hang out over a beer some day!!......

the runways at SIN are 2L/20R, 2C/20C, and 2R/20L.......the picture above (best I could find for this purpose) is from a 2015 article in The Straits Times and, based on a recent Google Earth picture, the new runway (2R/20L) is finished, but the taxiway connections are still being built.....and Terminal 4 is done.......Terminal 5 not started....

still wondering what the normal/usual approach is at 8AM!....

Sorry, I didn’t pay attention to your query regarding specific landing time. Try here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrastructure_of_Singapore_Changi_Airport

https://www.caas.gov.sg/docs/default-source/pdf/aipsup109-15.pdf

https://www.caas.gov.sg/docs/default-source/pdf/esup-2018-079_seletar-airport---implementation-of-ils-and-ils-approach-procedure-for-runway-21.pdf