Bread In A Can

Avalon
This topic is 1963 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I first ate that over 50 years Ago, my mother used to serve it with baked beans

P.S. it’s good backup on a long sailboat cruise

Little Tommy Tucker

Little Tommy Tucker sings for his supper,

What shall we give him? Brown bread and butter.

How shall he cut it without a knife?

How shall he marry without a wife?

Apparently "Tommy Tucker" was a colloquialism for an orphan. And with an orphan's low status starting out, it might be difficult to find a wife.

Gman

I guess it's because my Dad is from Boston, but I'm surprised that people didn't know about this! Beans and hot dogs, with the brown bread, is, I think his favorite meal. We had it often when I was growing up.

We LOVED hot dogs and beans growing up. No brown bread, though.

I guess it's because my Dad is from Boston, but I'm surprised that people didn't know about this! Beans and hot dogs, with the brown bread, is, I think his favorite meal. We had it often when I was growing up.

When I was a kid my grandmother made hot dogs & beans. After boiling the hot dogs she would slice the hot dogs into small pieces and mix them in with the beans. NO bread of any kind. I put ketchup on top of mine.

~Boomer~

Dense, moist, and made from natural ingredients, B&M's brown bread is a solid ready-to-eat representative of the classic New England dish. Some folks enjoy eating the bread sliced up as-is at room temperature, but you can also warm it in the microwave or toaster oven. It's good topped with butter, cream cheese, or jam.Aug 15, 2018...

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://newengland.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/canned-bread-650x650.jpg&imgrefurl=https://newengland.com/today/food/new-england-made/bm-brown-bread-in-a-can/&h=650&w=650&tbnid=LIqhJEqTFGXSWM:&q=bread+in+a+can&tbnh=160&tbnw=160&usg=AI4_-kQP3sFPhJ8Qkm5xFoVplDxksAha7Q&vet=12ahUKEwiY6unex-jfAhWprFkKHcW6BUAQ9QEwAHoECAcQBg..i&docid=9m3_hPMiW1mgkM&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiY6unex-jfAhWprFkKHcW6BUAQ9QEwAHoECAcQBg

We used to have it in the school cafeteria in grade school. They would serve it as little sandwiches made with butter alongside beans and franks. We liked it so much that we got our mother to buy it occasionally. I got nostalgic for it a few years ago and found a recipe for it. It is steamed like a Christmas pudding.

When I was a kid my grandmother made hot dogs & beans. After boiling the hot dogs she would slice the hot dogs into small pieces and mix them in with the beans. NO bread of any kind. I put ketchup on top of mine.

~Boomer~

You just reminded me of something funny. When my dad made hot dogs and beans for my brother ad me as lunch or as an after school snack, he would cut the hot dogs up like your grandmother did. He was typically pretty depressed, but when he was making a snack for us he had a smile from ear to ear. I think he derived a great deal of joy by doing things for his boys.

When served as dinner, the hot dogs remained whole.

Thank you for bringing back that memory.

I'm not a cook. Back in the day I'd cut up several hot dogs and put them in water to boil. Once the water was boiling I'd mix in potato buds and stir it up. Plus add some butter and salt (substitute) and pepper. Depending how much I made I'd have several meals. When I was ready to eat I'd often put some cottage with it.

I'm not a cook. Back in the day I'd cut up several hot dogs and put them in water to boil. Once the water was boiling I'd mix in potato buds and stir it up. Plus add some butter and salt (substitute) and pepper. Depending how much I made I'd have several meals. When I was ready to eat I'd often put some cottage with it.

One of my college roommates used to boil hotdogs and then use the same pot and water to cook the macaroni for Kraft mac and cheese. I thought it was kind of nasty to have all that grease from the "meat" soaking into the pasta. We were engineering students cooking in a dorm room with one (illegal) hot plate. He admired the efficiency. I went out and bought a second saucepan at a thrift store, and would use one of those immersion coils to get a second pot of water started while the first was cooking on the hot plate. The joys of living cheaply. My friend just bought a countertop convection oven for his college-age child's dorm room. He also bought her a $300 vintage deco bar cart.

Mom used to buy the B&M brown bread as a special treat, rarely. Premade packaged foods were comparatively pricey, and offended her depression-era sensibilities.

Edited by Nvr2Thick

One of my college roommates used to boil hotdogs and then use the same pot and water to cook the macaroni for Kraft mac and cheese. I thought it was kind of nasty to have all that grease from the "meat" soaking into the pasta. We were engineering students cooking in a dorm room with one (illegal) hot plate. He admired the efficiency. I went out and bought a second saucepan at a thrift store, and would use one of those immersion coils to get a second pot of water started while the first was cooking on the hot plate. The joys of living cheaply. My friend just bought a countertop convection oven for his college-age child's dorm room. He also bought her a $300 vintage deco bar cart.

Mom used to buy the B&M brown bread as a special treat, rarely. Premade packaged foods were comparatively pricey, and offended her depression-era sensibilities.

Hot dogs are nothing but grease.

This stuff will kill you. Loaded with sugar.

Ingredients: WATER, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR*, MOLASSES, DEXTROSE, RYE FLOUR*, WHEY*, DEGERMINATED YELLOW CORN MEAL, BAKING SODA, BUTTERMILK*, SALT, CORN OIL.

Yeah, as a result of this post I wanted to hunt down some B&M Brown Bread for nostalgia's sake, but when I looked up the ingredients and nutrition information it became clear it goes on the diabetics' "avoid" list.

This stuff will kill you. Loaded with sugar.

Ingredients: WATER, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR*, MOLASSES, DEXTROSE, RYE FLOUR*, WHEY*, DEGERMINATED YELLOW CORN MEAL, BAKING SODA, BUTTERMILK*, SALT, CORN OIL.

Keep the doom and gloom to your “sugar kills” thread ?