World AIDS Day, December 1

Barry
This topic is 6378 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>Bristol-Myers Squibb is donating $1 for each person who visits

>their

>website

...but only up to $100,000. I know it's better than nothing and all charity is good, but don't you think these Big Pharma companies could afford to give back just a bit more, with the millions they're raking in?

>Most of us could give more than we do.

But most of us aren't pharmaceutical corporations raking in millions of dollars. Medicare D, anyone?

>Rick, come on, see the

>cup half full, I know you can do it.

LOL I said all charity is good and it's better than nothing! Now...if the glass is half full, what is it half full of? }(

>So we shouldn't grab every penny of that?

>

>You're saying we should turn it down?

No, where did I say that? I just think that they charge an awful lot (the HIV med they advertise on the site, according to what I googled, costs $700/month per person) and get tax breaks for research & development, etc. Then there's Medicare D. I just wondered aloud if they could be giving more. I guess I will never question anything again on here! Everything is good and I love Bristol-Myers Squibb. :)

B-M Squibb earned $338 million dollars in just the last three months alone. That's profit. So in the scheme of things, $100,000 is a pittance.

That doesn't mean it is a bad thing to go to their website and "light a candle." But it does help them with their charade of concern when they could be doing really significant things on World Aids Day. And really, what effort does it take for us web surfers to click on their site? Not much. It might make you feel good though

But remember, no real candles get lit here. In the meantime, Bristol-Myers Squibb just made another few million dollars. A few more people died...

My choice for World AIDS Day will be to remember my friends who are dead, donate to a real AIDS charity, and write my congressman encouraging her not to gut funding for the Ryan White AIDS programs as it looks like they are going to do.

>B-M Squibb earned $338 million dollars in just the last three

>months alone. That's profit. So in the scheme of things,

>$100,000 is a pittance.

>That doesn't mean it is a bad thing to go to their website and

>"light a candle." But it does help them with their charade of

>concern when they could be doing really significant things on

>World Aids Day. And really, what effort does it take for us

>web surfers to click on their site? Not much. It might make

>you feel good though

>But remember, no real candles get lit here. In the meantime,

>Bristol-Myers Squibb just made another few million dollars. A

>few more people died...

>My choice for World AIDS Day will be to remember my friends

>who are dead, donate to a real AIDS charity, and write my

>congressman encouraging her not to gut funding for the Ryan

>White AIDS programs as it looks like they are going to do.

Lucky, you are all right. Your suggestions are indeed "spot on" as the Aussies say! :-)

Dan Knight 2005

Some people here act like Bristol-Meyer Squibb is some evil individual person. It's a publically held open stock companny with over a million people who own shares in the corporation either individually, through an investment group, or through their retirement and IRA plans. All profits are divided among the shareholders.

I own stock in several drug companies through a mutual fund and they average approximately an 11% per anum return over the past 10 years. Good, but certainly not great.

If you really think drug companies are making huge profits on a per share basis, pick up the phone. They all have toll free numbers

that you can use to directly buy their stock with no broker or other fees.

You would have made a lot more money investing in financial services companies over the last 10 years. With so many more investors and groups using the big financial companies for direct investing, mergers, etc these financial giants have been paying great dividends

and seeing their stock prices soar.

Plus while the pharmaceutical companies and the energy companies

get bad press for simply making a good profit, the financial services giants do much better with no bad press.

Start reading the WSJ daily to get a good idea over a period of time

which of these companies you like and then get a prospectus from several of them. There's money to be made.

Archived