What did I hear?

sam.fitzpatrick
This topic is 2024 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I got into my car for my drive home from work last night, the radio picked up the middle of an ad from the American Red Cross seeking donations. What I heard was, "to donate to California wildfires, please visit xxx.org or call toll free to (800) xxx-xxxx. Your support is needed. To donate to California wildfires, please visit xxx.org or call toll free to (800) xxx-xxxx." (Yes, the sentence was repeated.)

All I could think was, "Those fires are burning just fine without my financial support."

This morning I heard the full commercial and the part I missed mentioned how the funds will be used to support the victims of the fires, but the ending of the commercial did in fact ask for donations for "California wildfires" and not "California wildfire relief" or some other phrase representing how they are really using the funds.

When I got into my car for my drive home from work last night, the radio picked up the middle of an ad from the American Red Cross seeking donations. What I heard was, "to donate to California wildfires, please visit xxx.org or call toll free to (800) xxx-xxxx. Your support is needed. To donate to California wildfires, please visit xxx.org or call toll free to (800) xxx-xxxx." (Yes, the sentence was repeated.)

All I could think was, "Those fires are burning just fine without my financial support."

This morning I heard the full commercial and the part I missed mentioned how the funds will be used to support the victims of the fires, but the ending of the commercial did in fact ask for donations for "California wildfires" and not "California wildfire relief" or some other phrase representing how they are really using the funds.

A while ago we had a major event "for Autism" including a march, a half-marathon, and a park festival. I normally wouldn't split hairs, but literally every promotional poster, social media ad, t-shirt, or giveaway made it look like they wanted autism to be enriched and to flourish.

drifting a bit off topic here, but does anybody think the American Cancer Society, the Muscular Dystrophy Society, the American Heart Association et al really hope to go out of business??.....cynical, I know, but there is something to think about here

Edited by azdr0710

drifting a bit off topic here, but does anybody think the American Cancer Society, the Muscular Dystrophy Society, the American Heart Association et al really hope to go out of business??.....cynical, I know, but there is something to think about here

Not so fast. When caring for my dad, at a hospice nurse ‘s suggestion, I got some quick help from my local American Cancer Society chapter like a loaner wheelchair and bed side commode.

These days I make conscious efforts to dilute my ire because I really feel the toll of the stresses, but it ain't easy. Our government feels justified in squandering millions for troop movements, fortification materials, and containment housing in preparation for a bogus invasion, but for its citizen victims of the apocalyptic California fires, not so much. There are probably factors beyond my scope, but I just can't buy it.

Government furnished and air-conditioned containment tents:

2812.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=a167b7d44d3f61b1a540af40fa550f61

California fires tent city:

636777317602670566-Paradise-community-rallies-in-support-after-Camp-Fire-.jpg?quality=10

My only question is how much of the money donated is actually going to the victims of Camp Fire and the Woolsey Fire versus their overhead and administrative costs.

Having served on a board of a non-profit, I know that many times specifically donated funds for something like this rarely go to administrative expenses, as an organization like the Red Cross already has the administrative expenses covered from its general fund. Overhead expenses, such as transporting relief supplies, are still incurred, but reduced through donations from businesses of the services and individuals and religious groups volunteering to provide the man-hours needed to deliver the relief.

My only question is how much of the money donated is actually going to the victims of Camp Fire and the Woolsey Fire versus their overhead and administrative costs.

Good question, one that we all might want to ask when sending our personal funds to help.

Charity Navigator Website attempts to rate how worthy each charity is at fulfilling their mission.

For example, American Red Cross is rated 3 star while California Community Foundation is rated 4 star.

Do your own diligence. There may be other sources for guidance besides these.

Good question, one that we all might want to ask when sending our personal funds to help.

Charity Navigator Website attempts to rate how worthy each charity is at fulfilling their mission.

For example, American Red Cross is rated 3 star while California Community Foundation is rated 4 star.

Do your own diligence. There may be other sources for guidance besides these.

Thanks for posting the link to Charity Navigator. Another resource is GuideStar. Their information can appear to be a bit daunting, but it is comprehensive.