United Airlines price hike?

marylander1940
This topic is 2024 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Are those average fares for the entire year, or simply point-in-time reflections? I find that fares to the places I visit most frequently change significantly quite frequently. Right now, the cost of a roundtrip flight between San Francisco and Palm Springs is about the lowest it's been since I started visiting there several years ago (about $140). A flight between SF and Puerto Vallarta is also close to the lowest it's been since I started visiting there more than a decade ago, under $300 for a restricted coach seat and about $350 for a regular coach seat. For a few years not that long ago, the fare was typically at least $400 to $450.

And you thought deregulation was going to be a good thing. LOL.

Oil goes up. Fares go up. Jet fuel is a pain in the ass.

Bottom line, we should be paying more to go from coast-to-coast. And we wonder why service, employee morale and equipment are so crappy.

Agreed but the best managed airlines have well run hedging operations that buy (or perhaps sell) fuel at a fixed price for future delivery. Of course that doesn't keep them for using higher fuel costs as the reason for hiking fares.

Are those average fares for the entire year, or simply point-in-time reflections? I find that fares to the places I visit most frequently change significantly quite frequently. Right now, the cost of a roundtrip flight between San Francisco and Palm Springs is about the lowest it's been since I started visiting there several years ago (about $140). A flight between SF and Puerto Vallarta is also close to the lowest it's been since I started visiting there more than a decade ago, under $300 for a restricted coach seat and about $350 for a regular coach seat. For a few years not that long ago, the fare was typically at least $400 to $450.

yes, so far those are the fare for next year.

before he was able to book good prices 3 to 4 weeks ahead, not anymore now that's the price if you buy 1, 2, 3 months.

lucky you about going to Puerto Vallarta!

Edited by marylander1940

Deregulation = Good. Fares halved afterwards.

Airline Oligopolies=Bad. Price-fixing prevalent.

There's some competition price-wise from Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant and even Alaska in some markets but generally the big guys resist. Example: at BWI Southwest tried a price war with Spirit matching their prices but gave up and went back to fares triple Spirit's.

Also airlines are moving to dynamic pricing like almost everything else. Some flights a seat's $500, some flights it's $50.

yes, so far those are the fare for next year.

before he was able to book good prices 3 to 4 weeks ahead, not anymore now that's the price if you buy 1, 2, 3 months.

lucky you about going to Puerto Vallarta!

There are no fares for “next year” they fluctuate by the hour and depend on what fare buckets are available. Not cabin but the basis of the fare, if discounted coach is all gone you’ll see a price for full fare coach, but then they may release more discounted seats. Lather, rinse, repeat. Any fare comparison that’s a a moment in time is worthless.