"Getting One's Ears Lowered"

Avalon
This topic is 2030 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I thought everyone knew that expression meaning to get a haircut but I was watching the recent episode of "The Neighborhood" and some didn't.

I can't remember the last time I heard it. Its not surprising that some wouldn't recognize it. Also, it was only used by a certain type of guy. I never once heard my father say it.

I loved to go to the barbershop with my father. The barbershop charged more for kids on Saturday. So he would wake me up early on a weekday, we would go to a diner for coffee (cocoa for me) and doughnuts, then to the barbershop. The shop was owned by a good-looking Italian guy named Carl and he had his equally sexy younger brothers, Tony and Sammy working there too. I had little-boy crushes on all three of them. Sometimes we were the first customers. The men would all sit there smoking and chatting while I got my hair cut.

It's a very fond memory.

I loved to go to the barbershop with my father. The barbershop charged more for kids on Saturday. So he would wake me up early on a weekday, we would go to a diner for coffee (cocoa for me) and doughnuts, then to the barbershop. The shop was owned by a good-looking Italian guy named Carl and he had his equally sexy younger brothers, Tony and Sammy working there too. I had little-boy crushes on all three of them. Sometimes we were the first customers. The men would all sit there smoking and chatting while I got my hair cut.

It's a very fond memory.

Thank-you for sharing that memory.

My father used that expression; that's where I learned it.

Me too, exactly. My father, born 1915, an Anglo Quebecois.

Optically, one's ears looked bigger and positioned lower on one's head following a fresh classic fade cut.

Sadly, the illusion sometimes fails to deliver, re: longer member following a crotch trim.

As an aside in grade school there was a boy who only had one ear. There was a hole on the side of his head where the ear would be. And his hair was cut like a normal haircut back then. The hair was trimmed around the hole like if there had been an ear.