Veterans Day Poppy

Avalon
This topic is 2028 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

They start wearing poppies in the UK and Canada by early November. I have mine when i went home to Toronto last week. In manhattan, the Canadian consulate was giving out poppies earlier this month as well. John McRae who wrote In Flanders Fields was Canadian and his poem is quite lovely and moving. I’m hardly sentimental and did not lose any family during last century’s wars but I am touched by the sacrifice of so many.

They start wearing poppies in the UK and Canada by early November. I have mine when i went home to Toronto last week. In manhattan, the Canadian consulate was giving out poppies earlier this month as well. John McRae who wrote In Flanders Fields was Canadian and his poem is quite lovely and moving. I’m hardly sentimental and did not lose any family during last century’s wars but I am touched by the sacrifice of so many.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Flanders_Fields

It’s worth pasting in its entirety...... fight for freedom from a different age:

In Flanders fields the poppies grow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

I remembered the First World War by visiting Savajevo in 2013. The spot where Austrian Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated is now just a small overpass highway. But, the museum was absolutely wonderful. So glad I went there.

If only he had lived! How different the world would be today!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduke_Franz_Ferdinand_of_Austria

I have a place in my version of the Inferno for his assassin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavrilo_Princip

If only he had lived! How different the world would be today!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduke_Franz_Ferdinand_of_Austria

I have a place in my version of the Inferno for his assassin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavrilo_Princip

Unfortunately, Serbian had a different plan.

Maybe this poppy tradition never lasted long in the states where I live/lived - New England and Pennsylvania.

Anyway, by visiting Bosnia, I saw what happened to that country after the terrible recent war with Serbia. Of course, Sarajevo citizens wanted to tell tourists about the war they lived through. In time, 1914 will return to primary importance.

"America First" Apostle Trump Visits Paris 100 Years after Globalist Wilson.

Obviously, Donald Trump is a huge step down from Woodrew Wilson.

Trump has attacked or dismantled international pacts that reflect Mr. Wilson's dreams and vision.

Is our current president even aware about this weekend's centennial of the end of the First World War.

At least Ronald Reagan had some sense of ceremony. And he relied on staff, cabinet and his wife to brief him.

I understand there is valid counter argument to Wilson, but Trump is grossly ineffective in making that argument.

"America First" Apostle Trump Visits Paris 100 Years after Globalist Wilson.

Obviously, Donald Trump is a huge step down from Woodrew Wilson.

Trump has attacked or dismantled international pacts that reflect Mr. Wilson's dreams and vision.

Is our current president even aware about this weekend's centennial of the end of the First World War.

At least Ronald Reagan had some sense of ceremony. And he relied on staff, cabinet and his wife to brief him.

I understand there is valid counter argument to Wilson, but Trump is grossly ineffective in making that argument.

For some Wilson's Dream is a nightmare! The USA had no business in getting involved in the Great War. His 1916 campaign slogan was "He Kept Us Out Of War". LIAR!! He waited until April 1917 until after the Tsar had abdicated. Mustn't be allied with an Autocracy. FDR had no problem allying with Comrade Stalin.

I remembered the First World War by visiting Savajevo in 2013. The spot where Austrian Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated is now just a small overpass highway. But, the museum was absolutely wonderful. So glad I went there.

I was there in August. The Latin Bridge crosses the fast-flowing Militca. It’s not an overpass. It’s an ancient stone bridge. Gavrilo Princip is reviled in Sarajevo, bit there’s a prominent statue of him in Belgrade. Fascinating part of Europe.

I was there in August. The Latin Bridge crosses the fast-flowing Militca. It’s not an overpass. It’s an ancient stone bridge. Gavrilo Princip is reviled in Sarajevo, bit there’s a prominent statue of him in Belgrade. Fascinating part of Europe.

Did you also visit the museum, which was a high point of my visit to the former Yugoslavia in 2013.

I also liked the city of Mostar, with a very well known bridge, a bit more more Moslem-centered than Sarajevo.

For some Wilson's Dream is a nightmare! The USA had no business in getting involved in the Great War. His 1916 campaign slogan was "He Kept Us Out Of War". LIAR!! He waited until April 1917 until after the Tsar had abdicated. Mustn't be allied with an Autocracy. FDR had no problem allying with Comrade Stalin.

Why did Trump decide not to visit the First World War cemetery today in France? Obama visited Arlington National Cemetery in heavy rain. I know because I was there and also at the Vietnam Memorial

I also liked the city of Mostar, with a very well known bridge, a bit more more Moslem-centered than Sarajevo.

Ah, beautiful Mostar and its charming bridge, where tourists used to (maybe still do?) encounter beautiful young men who, for a few dollars, would jump into the water below for your entertainment.

Concerning Comrade Trump skipping the visit to the WWI cemetery: they said he missed due to "light rain" (even though he often golfs in the rain) - but my theory is that he had a flair up of his BONESPURS which often occurs when he hears the words "combat" or "military service."

One of the most emotionally moving WW1 sites I’ve ever visited is Verdun, in Northern France, the site of an absolutely senseless battle that lasted for months and claimed thousands of casualties. The ground in the forest is still scorched where the bombs fell 100 years ago, and the trench where you can see the tips of the dead soldiers’ bayonets emerging from the ground is heart-wrenching as a monument to human stupidity.

Did you also visit the museum, which was a high point of my visit to the former Yugoslavia in 2013.

I didn’t get to the museum. One day I hiked to the top of Mt. Trebević, the site of the abandoned bobsled and luge from the 1984 Olympics and the next day I rented a mountain bike and rode to the top of Mt. Igman, which was th elnly route open during the Serbian siege of 1992-1995.

Ah, beautiful Mostar and its charming bridge, where tourists used to (maybe still do?) encounter beautiful young men who, for a few dollars, would jump into the water below for your entertainment.

I didn’t get to the museum. One day I hiked to the top of Mt. Trebević, the site of the abandoned bobsled and luge from the 1984 Olympics and the next day I rented a mountain bike and rode to the top of Mt. Igman, which was th elnly route open during the Serbian siege of 1992-1995.

I rented cars in Slovenia and Croatia before returning to Sarajevo. Drove as far as the Austrian-Slovenian border. But, Bosnia was the reason for the trip.