Couples - Would Weight Be An Issue For You?

Avalon
This topic is 2036 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

That is cruel! I have / had several overweight female friends and they have shared with me the hell they go through. I even attended several OA meetings with them; they didn't want to go alone.

Dieting is difficult. Other addictions one can go cold turkey - drugs, smoking, alcohol etc. - but one needs food to survive!

Just ignore [uSER=19303]@europeanman[/uSER] he’s a narcissist who enjoys spinning yarns in favor of his self aggrandizing

Yes his remarks are cruel....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest europeanman
That is cruel! I have / had several overweight female friends and they have shared with me the hell they go through. I even attended several OA meetings with them; they didn't want to go alone.

Dieting is difficult. Other addictions one can go cold turkey - drugs, smoking, alcohol etc. - but one needs food to survive!

lol they dont eat to survive but to kill themselves

Guest europeanman
Just ignore [uSER=19303]@europeanman[/uSER] he’s a narcissist who enjoys spinning yarns in favor of his self aggrandizing

Yes his remarks are cruel....

I thought we are adults in this forum. Next time I will not be cruel . I'll sugarcoat reality. :)

It's about making the right healthy choices in food selection :) It is difficult but it can be done.

Sorry but I cannot stand fat people. I don't want them anywhere near me. Most of them are fat just because they eat like pigs.

As someone who has gained a large amount of weight, let’s get a few things straight. People are fat besides eating to much, genetics and body type plays a large role. For others like myself is do to the side effects of steroids and anti-rejection medication. I’ve have hired a personal trainer, workout 5x a week, personal chef, and a nutritionist to deal with this weight gain. Personally I’d rather be fat healthy and have freedom, than being stuck hooked up to a machine 3x a week for 4 hours.

It's about making the right healthy choices in food selection :) It is difficult but it can be done.

Some is due to overindulgence but often it is just do to family history, genes etc.. Some people are tall, some small, some fat, some thin.

I'm a diabetic. I did nothing to make myself one. My mother was a diabetic; it killed her at age 56. Her mother was a diabetic; though she lived into 80s it caused her to have both legs amputated (below the knees).

I had a sister. She was not diabetic. I am. Sometimes it's just the luck of draw.

These overweight female friends I had accepted me for who I am for which I will forever be grateful.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've said this so many times but I'll say it again. You have to judge people as individuals and not a part of some group.

Edited by Avalon

Of course, on the subject of boner-makers, so is Freddie Highmore, the good doctor himself. What incredible good fortune to be endowed with a face like this...

fh-headshot-faye-thomas.jpg?crop=0px%2C337px%2C4732px%2C2667px&resize=1000%2C563

MV5BZjM2MmQxY2ItN2Q4NC00ZTM2LTk1ZjYtYjE4MTljMzUwZGZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5Mjg0NjU@._V1_SY1000_SX800_AL_.jpg

Sadly his character seems to be straight. I was glad the female roommate left and sorry she has returned. I liked that male neighbor he had.

Some is due to overindulgence but often it is just do to family history, genes etc.. Some people are tall, some small, some fat, some thin.

I'm a diabetic. I did nothing to make myself one. My mother was a diabetic; it killed her at age 56. Her mother was a diabetic; though she lived into 80s it caused her to have both legs amputated (below the knees).

As someone who has gained a large amount of weight, let’s get a few things straight. People are fat besides eating to much, genetics and body type plays a large role...

Let me take a guess, Avalon (just a guess, mind you). Perhaps your mother became obese at a younger age than your grandmother? Or your mother, but not your grandmother, was obese? I have been a physician for over 30 years, and the trends I see in my practice are frightening. Young kids with extreme obesity (BMI for age over 99%ile), many already developing type II diabetes, fatty liver, back problems, and knee problems before they even hit adulthood. The rates of obesity have nearly tripled in the last 40 years. Are you guys telling me that our genes and DNA have changed during that time? Are we being inseminated by malevolent aliens, having our genetic material being changed to "fat genes"? Incidentally, there is no need to have one's legs amputated or go on dialysis just because one has diabetes. The ones with the complications are those who don't follow their physicians instructions, don't go to the doctor at all, and/or show up with fake blood sugar records (why on God's earth would anyone do that--just hurting themselves and making themselves look like fools in front of their doctors).

oecd_obesity_2009.png

Guest europeanman
As someone who has gained a large amount of weight, let’s get a few things straight. People are fat besides eating to much, genetics and body type plays a large role. For others like myself is do to the side effects of steroids and anti-rejection medication. I’ve have hired a personal trainer, workout 5x a week, personal chef, and a nutritionist to deal with this weight gain. Personally I’d rather be fat healthy and have freedom, than being stuck hooked up to a machine 3x a week for 4 hours.

Sorry but you just can't be fat and healthy. Do not fool your self.

That’s like saying if you thin your healthy. BTW are talking fat in the in the “gay sense” or the real world sense. The reason I ask I know a lot of gay men who if your waist size is over 31” and your shirt size is larger than a 16 neck/Med your fat borderline obease. Just asking

Edited by Gvtire

img.gif

Things were different over 40 years ago when I was 14 I was told I was borderline diabetic, I have no family history of diabetes . 20 years later I fractured my wrist on 8 places. That’s when I found out I was diabetic. So I pretty much had uncontrolled diabetes for 20 years and the damage was done. I still weighed the same.l as I did in high school 6’1” 189 lbs. When I said body type as a Physician I’m sure through out your career you have seen patients that were the same height and weight with different body types. One could look under weight while another could look overweight.

The reason more days more kids are obease. Their sitting on their asses playing video games instead of being outside doing a physical activity. Also their horrible eating habit. Junk food, fast food, processed food, cheap food. Unfortunately this is the only type some people can only afford.

Let me take a guess, Avalon (just a guess, mind you). Perhaps your mother became obese at a younger age than your grandmother? Or your mother, but not your grandmother, was obese? I have been a physician for over 30 years, and the trends I see in my practice are frightening. Young kids with extreme obesity (BMI for age over 99%ile), many already developing type II diabetes, fatty liver, back problems, and knee problems before they even hit adulthood. The rates of obesity have nearly tripled in the last 40 years. Are you guys telling me that our genes and DNA have changed during that time? Are we being inseminated by malevolent aliens, having our genetic material being changed to "fat genes"? Incidentally, there is no need to have one's legs amputated or go on dialysis just because one has diabetes. The ones with the complications are those who don't follow their physicians instructions, don't go to the doctor at all, and/or show up with fake blood sugar records (why on God's earth would anyone do that--just hurting themselves and making themselves look like fools in front of their doctors).

oecd_obesity_2009.png

Neither my mother nor my grandmother were obese. My mother became a diabetic a few years after I was born (in 1953). I don't know when my grandmother became a diabetic. She lived with us growing up and I remember them both always being diabetic.

My grandmother had both legs amputated (below the knee) in two operations several years apart either side of 1960. She could not have a general anesthetic but only a local. According to my sister during one operation she was speaking to her mother who died in 1955 and to her sister who had died like 50 years earlier. My grandmother got artificial legs and with the use of a walker was able to get around.

I became a diabetic around 2007.

Becoming over weight doesn't happen over night. A gradual letting go over self control may be a problem. I am very careful about what and how much I eat. I weigh 180lbs at 5'10"...the same for the last 40 years. Walking, bike riding, swimming help keep my weight stable. That and not wanting to buy XL clothing.

I'm very fortunate, eating right has be come second-nature. It isn't a question of self-control. I just don't want foods or quantities that are bad for me.

Things were different over 40 years ago when I was 14 I was told I was borderline diabetic, I have no family history of diabetes . 20 years later I fractured my wrist on 8 places. That’s when I found out I was diabetic. So I pretty much had uncontrolled diabetes for 20 years and the damage was done. I still weighed the same.l as I did in high school 6’1” 189 lbs. When I said body type as a Physician I’m sure through out your career you have seen patients that were the same height and weight with different body types. One could look under weight while another could look overweight.

??So who was it that thought that being borderline at the age of 14 didn't warrant any follow-up for 20 years? Did your physician not think it wise to recheck? Or did you just think it was a good idea not to see a doctor for 20 years? BMI works pretty well for most people. True bodybuilders may have a high BMI yet not have much body fat. For those people, waist circumference is a more accurate way to measure, just rarely done in a doctor's office because it's more unwieldy than just weighing the patient. Other than bodybuilders, BMI is a pretty good indication at how overweight or obese a person is.

Actually, that's not exactly true. You might be surprised to learn that sumo wrestlers are really quite healthy. The difference is that their fat is subcutaneous (under the skin) rather than intra-abdominal (in the abdominal cavity). Their metabolic numbers, such as cholesterol, sugars, etc., are quite good, and they don't get fatty liver for the most part. Even with the same abdominal girth, the difference can be seen in CT scans:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJ9JOcMCU4Zm980l8C474E54mV6IrsmlzCgW1ISTruT8stchRIzw

The scan on the left is that of an unhealthy obese person, with the body fat in the abdominal cavity. The sumo wrestler, on the right, has the excessive fat subcutaneously.

??So who was it that thought that being borderline at the age of 14 didn't warrant any follow-up for 20 years? Did your physician not think it wise to recheck? Or did you just think it was a good idea not to see a doctor for 20 years? BMI works pretty well for most people. True bodybuilders may have a high BMI yet not have much body fat. For those people, waist circumference is a more accurate way to measure, just rarely done in a doctor's office because it's more unwieldy than just weighing the patient. Other than bodybuilders, BMI is a pretty good indication at how overweight or obese a person is.

This was back in 75-76 and had no family history of diabetes. Remember they did things much differently back then. Back then it was lay of the sugary stuff for a while and you’ll be fine which is what I was told. Yes looking back we should have questioned or gone to another physician. Today as you know they would also perform A1C test. As far as not going to a doctor for 20 year never was sick enough to need blood work to be done nor did I ever have diabetic symptoms. So how was I know. When I did find out the doctor asked the same thing you are, he said being boarderline is like being a little pregnant. Either you are or your not.

Edited by Gvtire

This was back in 75-76 and had no family history of diabetes. Remember they did things much differently back then. Back then it was lay of the sugary stuff for a while and you’ll be fine which is what I was told. Yes looking back we should have questioned or gone to another physician. The Today as you know they would also perform A1C test. As far as not going to a doctor for 20 year never was sick enough to need blood work to be done nor did I ever have diabetic symptoms. So how was I to know. When I did find out the doctor asked the same thing you are, he said being boarderline is like being a little pregnant. Either you are or your not.

Diabetes care then wasn't that different, albeit more primitive. Instead of testing with a glucose meter, patients tested their urine with test strips. They put people on low-carb ADA (American Diabetes Association) diets. Just like now, there were those who took responsibility, embraced the regimen and remained healthy in spite of the disease and others who didn't and ended up going blind, losing feet, etc, etc.

Diabetes care then wasn't that different, albeit more primitive. Instead of testing with a glucose meter, patients tested their urine with test strips. They put people on low-carb ADA (American Diabetes Association) diets. Just like now, there were those who took responsibility, embraced the regimen and remained healthy in spite of the disease and others who didn't and ended up going blind, losing feet, etc, etc.

I remember my mother testing her urine. She took a shot everyday like I do. My grandmother sometimes took a shot but other times a only a pill. Diabinese?

I remember my mother testing her urine. She took a shot everyday like I do. My grandmother sometimes took a shot but other times a only a pill. Diabinese?

Back then, they didn't have all the oral agents they do now. The only one I can think of was called Orinase. They didn't have recombinant insulin, only pig insulin. There were different types based on how fast it worked: regular, lente, semi-lente and ultra-lente.

If the doctor did not take the time to explain the dangers of being borderline, it is his/her fault as well. Isn't that part of a doctor's job? He was 14 years old with no history of the disease in his family.