Couples - Would Weight Be An Issue For You?

Avalon
This topic is 2041 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In the recent episode of "The Good Doctor" one of the stories was about a gay married couple. One had been obese and 20 years earlier had weight reduction surgery. This was before he met his husband. He never told his husband. Now there were complications and the surgery needed to be undone. He did not want his husband to find out about the surgery but of course he did.

At the end the husband was looking at a photo of his husband when he was overweight. He asked the doctor whether he could look like that again. The doctor said yes. The husband then said he wished he didn't know that.

If you love someone does it matter?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wonder how the he explained his surgery scars? I've had gall bladder surgery and I have large scar.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you love the person for who they are not what they look like. I’ve been with my husband for 33 years, we’re both balder, grayer, things are about a foot lower, few more scars and we both have gained weight. I feel if you leave because their appearance changed because of weight gain, accident or medical issues you never loved that person.

Edited by Gvtire

In the recent episode of "The Good Doctor" one of the stories was about a gay married couple. One had been obese and 20 years earlier had weight reduction surgery. This was before he met his husband. He never told his husband. Now there were complications and the surgery needed to be undone. He did not want his husband to find out about the surgery but of course he did.

At the end the husband was looking at a photo of his husband when he was overweight. He asked the doctor whether he could look like that again. The doctor said yes. The husband then said he wished he didn't know that.

If you love someone does it matter?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wonder how the he explained his surgery scars? I've had gall bladder surgery and I have large scar.

It was a good episode pointing out how shallow people can be about others and about fat shaming. Even the Asian doctor’s barely feigned disgust that the patient lost weight “the easy way” by having bariatric surgery. And the “husband’s” response about yes possibly his partner might gain his weight back “I wish I didn’t know that...”

All in all sad but very true reactions to those who have had bariatric surgery.

Most abdominal surgery scars are barely noticeable with today’s laparoscopic procedures.

Even with open incisions, they have improved closure methods now, the scars from which are barely visible. From spine surgeries, I have about a six-inch scar down my spine and one of of similar length down the center of my abdomen. You can hardly see them - just a faint line.

It was a good episode pointing out how shallow people can be about others and about fat shaming. Even the Asian doctor’s barely feigned disgust that the patient lost weight “the easy way” by having bariatric surgery. And the “husband’s” response about yes possibly his partner might gain his weight back “I wish I didn’t know that...”

All in all sad but very true reactions to those who have had bariatric surgery.

Out of impulse, the husband said something thoughtless, but that doesn't mean he was hatching a plan to leave his partner, or that he loved him any less. It just meant that it was a change he wasn't comfortable with yet.

Out of impulse, the husband said something thoughtless, but that doesn't mean he was hatching a plan to leave his partner, or that he loved him any less. It just meant that it was a change he wasn't comfortable with yet.

I guess I interpreted it more like he’d rather have not even known....because he didn’t want to deal with it. But I’m sensitive to the subject....so maybe just me.

I guess I interpreted it more like he’d rather have not even known....because he didn’t want to deal with it. But I’m sensitive to the subject....so maybe just me.

But also, the guy had kept the bariatric surgery a secret from his partner. So the partner is having to digest a lot of new knowledge about the guy.

Most abdominal surgery scars are barely noticeable with today’s laparoscopic procedures.

Since the couple had obviously been intimate countless times over many years, I can't imagine how even laparoscopic scars wouldn't be noticed. When I've been in long-term relationships, we have been able to separate love from lust. The agreement has kind of been that if the other partner wants to have occasional 1-time trysts (never with the same person), this wouldn't affect how we felt about each other. I knew a gay couple who'd been together for 20 years. They still lived together and loved each other, but weren't intimate with each other that often in their final 5 years together. Though some might be shocked to hear this, I'm not sure if I could ever get sexually excited by someone who was obese or bald. I apologize if that offends some people, but that's just the way I am. The fact that I might enjoy sex with someone else doesn't mean I don't love my partner as much.

A few doctors are doing a single incision in the belly button. But still, the partner would notice the new dietary restrictions, etc.

20 years ago? And yes, people who've had serious gastric surgery need large quantities of nutritional supplements.

Edited by Unicorn

I've seen both actors before. The one wanting to hide his past was played by Bryce Johnson. I don't know the name of the other actor.

Bryce Johnson sure is a boner-maker...

latest?cb=20160622094614

Of course, on the subject of boner-makers, so is Freddie Highmore, the good doctor himself. What incredible good fortune to be endowed with a face like this...

fh-headshot-faye-thomas.jpg?crop=0px%2C337px%2C4732px%2C2667px&resize=1000%2C563

MV5BZjM2MmQxY2ItN2Q4NC00ZTM2LTk1ZjYtYjE4MTljMzUwZGZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5Mjg0NjU@._V1_SY1000_SX800_AL_.jpg

Guest europeanman

Sorry but I cannot stand fat people. I don't want them anywhere near me. Most of them are fat just because they eat like pigs.

Sorry but I cannot stand fat people. I don't want them anywhere near me. Most of them are fat just because they eat like pigs.

That is cruel! I have / had several overweight female friends and they have shared with me the hell they go through. I even attended several OA meetings with them; they didn't want to go alone.

Dieting is difficult. Other addictions one can go cold turkey - drugs, smoking, alcohol etc. - but one needs food to survive!