Did You Trick-Or-Treat When Young?

Avalon
This topic is 2032 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My mother being a diabetic was quite concerned about what I ate. Candy was a big no no.

I only remember as a boy going out once and my father accompanied me. And I only remember going to one house, an elderly couple. I don't remember if I ate any of the candy but I doubt that I did.

One time we went to visit my paternal grandmother. She gave me a candy bar. Once back in the car on the way home my mother took it and gave it to my father.

Yes I went out but it would have been in the late 1940's and early 1950". I lived in South Central Los Angeles and the neighborhood was very safe in those days. The one thing most of us didn't want was commercial candy. At that time people were not concerned about razor blades in apples or poison in homemade products. My mother always made popcorn ball which she wrapped in wax paper some of our neighbors made rice crispy squares, cookies, fudge, and divinity. A little elderly, couple who lived on the corner, always invited us in and served warm spiced apple cider. Life was a lot simpler in those days. Our costumes, for examples, were always homemade.

Edited by Epigonos

Yes, and Halloween led to my early education downfall. I was illegally going to a great school in a district I didn't live in, many miles from where the home I lived in was. A kid I went to school with came to my home to trick-or-treat, which I couldn't blame since my upper middle class neighborhood kicked ass with good candy. His mom asked if that was my house, and I spilled the beans. Turns out everything came crashing down at once, as my mother was operating a scam business, so in a very short time we went from flying high to living in a ghetto slum pretty much overnight. :eek: :oops: :(

Yes, and Halloween led to my early education downfall. I was illegally going to a great school in a district I didn't live in, many miles from where the home I lived in was. A kid I went to school with came to my home to trick-or-treat, which I couldn't blame since my upper middle class neighborhood kicked ass with good candy. His mom asked if that was my house, and I spilled the beans. Turns out everything came crashing down at once, as my mother was operating a scam business, so in a very short time we went from flying high to living in a ghetto slum pretty much overnight. :eek: :oops: :(

I don't get it. You lived in an upper middle class neighborhood but chose to go to a school many miles away in a poorer neighborhood? Did I miss something?

The school I went to was in a ritzy spoiled kid area, not anywhere close in proximity to where I lived or where I ended up. The worst part of ghetto school was public bus transportation didn't exist due to budget cuts, so I walked 5 and a half miles to and from school every day. The plus I guess is that when people think you're poor, they don't waste time mugging you!

The school I went to was in a ritzy spoiled kid area, not anywhere close in proximity to where I lived or where I ended up. The worst part of ghetto school was public bus transportation didn't exist due to budget cuts, so I walked 5 and a half miles to and from school every day. The plus I guess is that when people think you're poor, they don't waste time mugging you!

5 and a half miles to school and back! You're lucky you lived in southern California and not a cold climate or you'd be sharing that you walked 5 and a half miles to your school in the snow, uphill both ways!!! o_O;) Sorry @Smurof, I could not resist! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

TruHart1 :cool:

Yes, loved it. Most of the neighbors stayed home (that was the time that few mothers worked) and were so nice when they answered the door. It was so great when you got home and you emptied the contents of your plastic pumpkins and began to separate what you would eat or not. My friends and I would trade if there was stuff we just did not like and would not eat. I am so happy that at least for us kids there was no sense of danger in doing it. I would imagine it is very different nowadays.