Waldorf Salad

Avalon
This topic is 1956 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK here we go again with the damn Deviled Egg think. I don't know if they are old lady food or not, however, there are two things I do know: 1.) I hate the damn things and 2.) I make three dozen (72 pieces) of the damn things for the Palm Springs Weekend Sunday Pool Party and they are all consumed

See my grandmother was right; everybody loves them!

So it sounds like your diet is limited to 10 or 12 of the most commonplace foods.

Right. Lots of protein. No carbs. Right now I'm having an apple.

I do like simple salads - lettuce, cherry tomatoes, diced onions, shredded cheese, lite Italian dressing. But some of those items don't keep very long.

This morning I had turkey bacon. And later left over steak from yesterday. I cooked both in the microwave. For tomorrow I took a package of hamburger out of the freezer to defrost.

Right. Lots of protein. No carbs. Right now I'm having an apple.

I do like simple salads - lettuce, cherry tomatoes, diced onions, shredded cheese, lite Italian dressing. But some of those items don't keep very long.

This morning I had turkey bacon. And later left over steak from yesterday. I cooked both in the microwave. For tomorrow I took a package of hamburger out of the freezer to defrost.

An apple

When I was growing up we used raisins not green grapes! Apples, raisins, celery & walnuts.

I don't remember if we used raisins or not.

• 2 months later...

I agree. To me it always looked like an act of desperation for anything to put on the table.

I ordered one once out of curiosity. The waiter came back and said, "Sorry we're fresh out of..............Waldorf".

Standard holiday fare at out house when I was a kid.

My mother loved it and made it about once a month when I was a kid.

Growing up, it was a staple on the Thanksgiving table every year.

I gave up mayo 20 yrs ago. Used to LOVE it...

1692837.gif

I gave up mayo 20 yrs ago. Used to LOVE it...

You can get soy mayo that’s not bad. Whole Foods uses it in some of their prepared salads and I can’t really tell the difference. You can also substitute plain Greek yogurt.

I did some googling to find the original recipe and there are hundreds, all claiming to be it.

The NYTimes version may be it. Very simple, just apples celery mayo salt and pepper, on a bed of lettuce.