Walker Advice

Avalon
This topic is 1782 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The type that is taller and you rest your arms in is recommended. Keeps you from bending over which eventually creates more problems. Don't have time to go to Amazon right now. Sunday orgy starts in 10 minutes and I don't even have the food or lube out yet..................

What kind of food is served at an orgy?

You might want to buy a walker with just two wheels in the front to start. That is what I recommend. Simple a and easy first.

But I thought with wheels I might lose control. I don't think wheels would work on carpet but it could slip on the kitchen linoleum. Right now I hold onto furniture and clutch the walls. With walker I thought that I'd pick it up and put it down step-by-step.

I got a rollator type of walker when I had a horrible foot infection. Need it for my balance, kept falling. I walk like I’m drunk. It’s has a seat and basket. Never used it. Guess too much false pride and felt I was/ am to young need one. I guess hunk after Medicare I paid around $30.00 for it

The type that is taller and you rest your arms in is recommended. Keeps you from bending over which eventually creates more problems. Don't have time to go to Amazon right now. Sunday orgy starts in 10 minutes and I don't even have the food or lube out yet..................

And I’m not invited? : (

Some here have advocated that I get a walker. So go to Amazon Prime and tell me which walker you recommend that I get. Thanks!

I’m back to ambulatory but I used a few during my problem.

Unless you’ll be using the walker outside I’d stick with the stand up version, the one without the seat. They go for about $20/30 on Amazon as opposeed to the wheeled versions with a seat that go for about $50/100. Plus until you practice with the brakes on the wheeled version they can get away from you. One with two wheels in front should be ok but you may need a physical therapy pro to fit it to you. That’s important to avoid back pain or other problems. You can put skis or tennis balls on the rear. You can add a basket to carry food for about another $10.

Here’s hoping for your improved mobility.

I’m back to ambulatory but I used a few during my problem.

Unless you’ll be using the walker outside I’d stick with the stand up version, the one without the seat. They go for about $20/30 on Amazon as opposeed to the wheeled versions with a seat that go for about $50/100. Plus until you practice with the brakes on the wheeled version they can get away from you. One with two wheels in front should be ok but you may need a physical therapy pro to fit it to you. That’s important to avoid back pain or other problems. You can put skis or tennis balls on the rear. You can add a basket to carry food for about another $10.

Here’s hoping for your improved mobility.

Thank-you so much!

My maternal grandmother lost both legs (below the knees) to diabetes in her 70s. She got artificial limbs. She used a walker.

I believe you can get mobility/indoor scooters?

My apartment is not big enough for an indoor scooter.

I don't know far an outdoor one could go. The store will I get my mail is three miles away. It might take "forever" to get there.

My apartment is not big enough for an indoor scooter.

I don't know far an outdoor one could go. The store will I get my mail is three miles away. It might take "forever" to get there.

In all seriousness, once you get a walker you can walk to your car and drive to the store, to get your mail, to get your brains f*@%ed out...

The models with seats can act as a convenient tray. Some models have actual trays but most people around me just use the seat.

Your doctor should be a part of this discussion as you condition(s) may have an effect of the recommendations.

Also ask if your state allows non-drivers to have a handicap placard which you can hang when you're the passenger. Handicap placards are not specific to the car; they are specific to the person but you'll need to know the rules. DMV will be able t0 explain.

I'll need one with a tray to bring food from the kitchen.

In all seriousness, once you get a walker you can walk to your car and drive to the store, to get your mail, to get your brains f*@%ed out...

Alas that won't happen. The problem is my legs are very weak; that's why I'm afraid of falling.

My apartment is long and narrow. Bedroom in the back, kitchen in the front. Living room in between. I can't walk from the bedroom to the kitchen; I have to pause and sit in the living room. I put a chair in the kitchen so if I'm microwaving something I can sit and wait.

All the walker will do is to make it so I don't have cling to the furniture and clutch the walls when I walk.

I have several weeks to decide on which walker to get. I have food and meds so I don't plan to call my landlord until maybe 31 October, Wednesday and have him come by on 2 November, Friday with food and mail and I can pay my rent. The walker will come to my rent box.

The models with seats can act as a convenient tray. Some models have actual trays but most people around me just use the seat.

Your doctor should be a part of this discussion as you condition(s) may have an effect of the recommendations.

Also ask if your state allows non-drivers to have a handicap placard which you can hang when you're the passenger. Handicap placards are not specific to the car; they are specific to the person but you'll need to know the rules. DMV will be able t0 explain.

I have had a handicapped placard for almost 20 years. When I got my current car several years ago I got disabled plates but they still send me the placard.

With two wheels all you have to do is let the non-wheels side down, which will happen if it gets away from you. Carpets and Tile should not be a problem. Used this type while in the hospital with no problems on all types of flooring:

31Y0Bn-6KyL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

Folds flat which is easier on everybody. I'm still at the "Using Hands" to balance state but when I get a walker I'll probably go for the one above.

I'm also looking at this one. I can't walk more than a few hundred yards without a rest break. Having a seat to use is very attractive to me. A lot of models fold flat but are bulkier than the one above.

51yPSBnfvXL._AC_US320_QL65_.jpg

I'll may get one of each type. Won't need all the fancy whistles while indoors.

But I thought with wheels I might lose control. I don't think wheels would work on carpet but it could slip on the kitchen linoleum. Right now I hold onto furniture and clutch the walls. With walker I thought that I'd pick it up and put it down step-by-step.

This topic is 1782 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.