Do you pay attention to farm raised vs wild caught seafood?

FrankR
This topic is 2062 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Do I pay attention? Yes.

Do I have hard and fast rules as to what I consume? No.

I prefer the taste of some wild caught fish. But I won't rule out all farm-raised... not all farms are wicked. And we're going to need to keep up a demand for responsibly farmed fish, or it wont be there, and the oceans will be fished-out.

There are also some perfectly acceptable farmed or man-assisted species.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioaccumulation is a motherfucker in marine ecoystems.

Also a motherfucker: bycatch

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bioaccumulation

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bycatch

/“radical” enviro thoughts

My work allows me to donate to charity through payroll deduction. I’ve been donating to the Natural Resource Defense Council for years - was told that makes me an ‘enviromental radical’. This is me, wearing the label with pride. :D

I must doing something wrong. I find the taste and texture of previously frozen fish hideous.

Unpack from however you bought it. Don’t rinse it before freezing. Vacuum pack or ziploc bag squeezing all the air out. Defrost overnight in fridge. Should be pretty good? I freeze fish all the time, just grilled a piece of ahi last night that had been frozen about 3 months

Unpack from however you bought it. Don’t rinse it before freezing. Vacuum pack or ziploc bag squeezing all the air out. Defrost overnight in fridge. Should be pretty good? I freeze fish all the time, just grilled a piece of ahi last night that had been frozen about 3 months

Defrosting gurantees that the raw fish will be mushy and that it will turn to flavorless rubber when cooked. I have read about cooking direct from frozen. I want to try that.

Yes!

If you have ever been to/smelled a fish farm you would go for Wild Caught everyday of the week and 3 times on Sunday!!!!!!

I visited a catfish farm once. I didn't smell anything unusual. Driving by a feedlot doesn't seem to put people off from beef.

If you think you can discern the difference, think again.

A New York Times story (published on April 10, 2005) certainly is a cautionary tale. For those of you who didn’t see it, the Times sent a reporter to buy wild salmon at eight stores in the city. Some of the fish sold for as much as $29 per pound. The Times then had the salmon tested and learned that six of the eight pieces of fish purchased were farmed, not wild.

You are not wrong! :D