Who's your favorite singer?

bnm73
This topic is 2043 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the true test of a singer's musicianship is how well they sing Schubert. Of those that I have heard in person, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau appealed to me the most. In a way, it might seem an odd way to assess a voice but, to me, he "sounded" like someone worth knowing. Among women, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, for much the same reason. Of course they both sang in opera as well but opera shows off a great voice, whereas lieder needs a great singer. Of course most of the names in earlier posts mean nothing to me, so I suppose my choices won't have much resonance with or interest for others but I am putting them out there in the name of good internet forum etiquette!

Great singer: Aretha Franklin. No one else comes close.

My favorite to listen to: Grace Slick

Here are some more great singers.

Park Hyo Shin

He sings cleanly even when he's sobbing, which is a triumph of technique. He and the pianist co-wrote the song, which is about the trajectory of his career and personal life. His best friend committed suicide and at one point he had to declare bankruptcy because of his battles against a music agency with which he was signed.

Sohyang singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon Paul (love that the credits list his name in Korean rather than international style). Attention @purplekow!

Gospel isn't just for Black people, and it's possible to sing it without pretending to be Black (thinking of Adele and Janis Joplin).

Seo Moon Tak

Koreans love singing competitions like this.

Ha Hyun Woo

I'm using a reaction video because there is no video on YouTube of the full performance. Btw, Fox is debuting, or has already debuted, a show based on the one shown.

Great singer: Aretha Franklin. No one else comes close.

My favorite to listen to: Grace Slick

Here are some more great singers.

Park Hyo Shin

He sings cleanly even when he's sobbing, which is a triumph of technique. He and the pianist co-wrote the song, which is about the trajectory of his career and personal life. His best friend committed suicide and at one point he had to declare bankruptcy because of his battles against a music agency with which he was signed.

Sohyang singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon Paul (love that the credits list his name in Korean rather than international style). Attention @purplekow!

Gospel isn't just for Black people, and it's possible to sing it without pretending to be Black (thinking of Adele and Janis Joplin).

Seo Moon Tak

Koreans love singing competitions like this.

Ha Hyun Woo

I'm using a reaction video because there is no video on YouTube of the full performance. Btw, Fox is debuting, or has already debuted, a show based on the one shown.

A great rendition. Thanks

I believe the true test of a singer's musicianship is how well they sing Schubert. Of those that I have heard in person, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau appealed to me the most. In a way, it might seem an odd way to assess a voice but, to me, he "sounded" like someone worth knowing. Among women, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, for much the same reason. Of course they both sang in opera as well but opera shows off a great voice, whereas lieder needs a great singer. Of course most of the names in earlier posts mean nothing to me, so I suppose my choices won't have much resonance with or interest for others but I am putting them out there in the name of good internet forum etiquette!

I think you make very cogent points here about singers who specialize in Lieder or Art song, @alkan but, as you observed, this thread has tended toward listing renowned singers of classic popular song, rather than classical or operatic singers. In future, you may want to begin a uniquely new thread under the Comedy & Tragedy sub-heading, Opera, which you may name something like, "Who's your favorite Lieder singer?" Then those interested in discussing great classical singers (my favorite ladies besides Mme. Schwartzkopf are Arleen Auger and Jessye Norman!) may respond and discuss this fascinating topic.

TruHart1 :cool:

Your comment about Fischer-Dieskau sounding like "someone worth knowing" reminded me of a story a friend told me about running into Walter Legge, accompanied by a quiet woman whom my friend described as looking like a particularly dowdy Hausfrau, in a railway station. It wasn't until he and Legge had been conversing for several minutes that he suddenly realized the woman was Schwarzkopf.