Skin Care

Guest europeanman
This topic is 2050 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest europeanman

My first thread: Do you guys take care of your skin? Do you follow a skin care routine? Do you use drug store products or cosmeceuticals? Do you go to a dermatologist for peels, botox, fillers, RF etc?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Serious Skincare products. They're effective, non greasy, & easily get them on autoship & for a much lower price from HSN. Their glycolic cleanse & retinol line are the best. Planning on trying some of their newer products soon.

Healthy eating & adequate water consumption will always do more for the skin than any product out there, of course.

Guest europeanman
I use Serious Skincare products. They're effective, non greasy, & easily get them on autoship & for a much lower price from HSN. Their glycolic cleanse & retinol line are the best. Planning on trying some of their newer products soon.

Healthy eating & adequate water consumption will always do more for the skin than any product out there, of course.

Thank you. I never heard the brand before, probably because I am in Europe, but they look good. I am also a big fan of glycolic acid and retinoids. They are serious science backed, ingredients, no bs!

Thank you. I never heard the brand before, probably because I am in Europe, but they look good. I am also a big fan of glycolic acid and retinoids. They are serious science backed, ingredients, no bs!

Maybe they sell the brand @ home shopping channels in Europe like they do here. Check the ones you know if you ever want to try it.

The owner of the brand is married to Sylvester Stallone :p

Guest europeanman
Maybe they sell the brand @ home shopping channels in Europe like they do here. Check the ones you know if you ever want to try it.

The owner of the brand is married to Sylvester Stallone :p

Thank you, but I am overwhelmed with brands. Neostrata, Jan Marini, Skinceuticals... I do not want to shop one more. Actually I stopped spending on expensive products and I do frequent treatments with my dermatologist instead.

Guest europeanman
Well if your going for the best products that aren’t that expensive look for Korean brands. Korean beauty products are light years ahead of our own beauty products

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/opinion/sunday/korean-beauty-products-america.html

I gave up on expensive OTC products. I only use a cheap cleanser and a moisturising serum from Neutrogena. The workhorse of my regimen is prescription Tretinoin. And I do a glycolic peel once a month and a touch up on my fillers and botox every 6 months.

I'm going to start taking better care of it. My partner sees an aesthetician monthly for a serious facial and he uses products that he gets through her-Lira is the brand.

I went to her last week for a facial, and I enjoyed it, and my skin looks great. I actually fell asleep on the table. She has a vaguely eastern European accent and I was able to imagine that I was at a spa in Baden Baden or Dubrovnik or some such place.

I gave up on expensive OTC products. I only use a cheap cleanser and a moisturising serum from Neutrogena. The workhorse of my regimen is prescription Tretinoin. And I do a glycolic peel once a month and a touch up on my fillers and botox every 6 months.

I started judicious use of Botox and fillers a few years ago. I’ve been using facial and body moisturizers for many years. I mix a dab of MAC coverup lotion with Kiehl’s 35 spf for my morning treatment and have a whole before bed routine if I’m no too exhausted. Fortunately, I have good skin with virtually no blemishes and have been wearing sunglasses daily, so minimal wrinkling around the eyes. Also a good moisturizer under the eyes really helps.

I’ll have to check into the Korean products.

Also, I now only shampoo my hair every three days. I wish I’d done that my whole life.

I started judicious use of Botox and fillers a few years ago. I’ve been using facial and body moisturizers for many years. I mix a dab of MAC coverup lotion with Kiehl’s 35 spf for my morning treatment and have a whole before bed routine if I’m no too exhausted. Fortunately, I have good skin with virtually no blemishes and have been wearing sunglasses daily, so minimal wrinkling around the eyes. Also a good moisturizer under the eyes really helps.

Also, I now only shampoo my hair every three days. I wish I’d done that my whole life.

When I was growing up, nobody shampooed every day. It was a once-a-week thing.

Guest europeanman
I'm going to start taking better care of it. My partner sees an aesthetician monthly for a serious facial and he uses products that he gets through her-Lira is the brand.

I went to her last week for a facial, and I enjoyed it, and my skin looks great. I actually fell asleep on the table. She has a vaguely eastern European accent and I was able to imagine that I was at a spa in Baden Baden or Dubrovnik or some such place.

I stay away from aestheticians. I go to a Plastic Surgeon for botox, fillers peels and some other non invasive procedures. I am not sure what you mean by facial, but if it is massage and moisturising etc, it feels good but it does nothing for the skin. And the purpose of the exercise is not to feel good but to look good.

I stay away from aestheticians. I go to a Plastic Surgeon for botox, fillers peels and some other non invasive procedures. I am not sure what you mean by facial, but if it is massage and moisturising etc, it feels good but it does nothing for the skin. And the purpose of the exercise is not to feel good but to look good.

Well of course you go to an MD for botox, fillers, etc. I would definitely keep my distance from an aesthetician who offered such services. But for a pleasant relaxing experience that improves the skins appearance, why would I spend the kind of money an MD charges?

I like to use a paste made out of baking soda and water for my face. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then wash it off when it feels tight. I'll sometimes rub on some tea tree oil as well. As for shampoo, I was my hair with baking soda once or twice a week and rinse it daily with hot water.

Guest europeanman
Well of course you go to an MD for botox, fillers, etc. I would definitely keep my distance from an aesthetician who offered such services. But for a pleasant relaxing experience that improves the skins appearance, why would I spend the kind of money an MD charges?

In my opinion, because you get zero actual results from an aesthetician. The improvement you see is temporary and will fade the next day or so. Just my view...

Guest europeanman
There was something about Perricones products that my skin didn't like. I actually got blisters from his products.

I used them years ago. I think they are overpriced and borderline scam. But on the other hand, as @Stormy says, you get a nice glow from the vit c thay contain.

Guest europeanman
I like to use a paste made out of baking soda and water for my face. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then wash it off when it feels tight. I'll sometimes rub on some tea tree oil as well. As for shampoo, I was my hair with baking soda once or twice a week and rinse it daily with hot water.

Be careful with that. Baking soda is alkaline. Skin is acidic.

My main way of taking care of my skin is sun screen with an SPF factor of 50 throughout the year. Even outside of summer and on cloudy days. It really makes a difference.

I use a facial moisturizer from the Lush brand of shops (don't know if they have those in the US) after a shower. Used to use their body butter too but it's soooo expensive and didn't see a difference.

My skin is actually much softer if I just thoroughly scrub it once a week with a loofa (spelling?).

My main way of taking care of my skin is sun screen with an SPF factor of 50 throughout the year. Even outside of summer and on cloudy days. It really makes a difference.

I use a facial moisturizer from the Lush brand of shops (don't know if they have those in the US) after a shower. Used to use their body butter too but it's soooo expensive and didn't see a difference.

My skin is actually much softer if I just thoroughly scrub it once a week with a loofa (spelling?).

There's no faster way to improve the appearance of your skin. I get exfoliating gloves at Walgreen's and go over my entire body a couple times in a week. Makes your skin look smooth and healthy.

I live in the desert, so I have to use moisturizer to keep my skin reasonably soft and smooth. Since I also spend a lot of time outdoors in the sun, I use sun screen on exposed body parts (and put on a hat) before I go outside. At my age, using something else to try to make me look younger isn't worth the effort.

Here are just a few Korean Brands you may want to look into: https://www.dailydot.com/bazaar/korean-skincare-brands/

...use moisturizer to keep my skin reasonably soft and smooth...use sun screen... (and put on [insert: wide brimmed] hat).... At my age, using something else to try to make me look younger isn't worth the effort.

Totally agree!!

As you get older your skin gets thinner. There's also a reduction in elasticity and natural oils.

For a skin rash that was getting worse my dermatologist told me to keep it simple:

- Shower when you need to. Showers remove natural protective oils. Showers are usually not necessary every day. If you feel grungy take a shower. Use water temperatures on the lower side of your comfort level. High water temperatures are counterproductive to skin care.

- While still wet, and still in the shower stall, wipe a body oil on yourself. It doesn’t have to be fancy. Simpler the better to avoid allergic reactions. From the list of oils he recommended I chose Neutrogena Body Oil (or the generic store brand on the shelf next to it). It’s readily available, inexpensive and been in use (tested) for many years. Most massage oils would probably work too.

- It’s important to give the water wet oil time to soak into your skin. So while you’re waiting for that to happen take a shower squeegee and wipe down the shower stall. Be careful since the floor will be slick from oily water!

- Use a towel to pat (not rub) off any remaining oily water. Rotate towels often - that’s vital if you have any rash, zits or other indications of skin injury.

In a couple of weeks my skin rash was gone. I continue to use the above regimen.