Has a guy you hired ever written to you from jail?

Gadfly22
This topic is 2107 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A prison commissary or canteen is a store within a correctional facility, from which inmates may purchase products such as hygiene items, snacks, writing instruments, etc. Spices, including those packaged with instant ramen noodles, are a popular item due to the often bland nature of prison food. Typically inmates are not allowed to possess cash; instead, they make purchases through an account with funds from money contributed by friends, family members, etc., or earned as wages."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_commissary

"A prison commissary or canteen is a store within a correctional facility, from which inmates may purchase products such as hygiene items, snacks, writing instruments, etc. Spices, including those packaged with instant ramen noodles, are a popular item due to the often bland nature of prison food. Typically inmates are not allowed to possess cash; instead, they make purchases through an account with funds from money contributed by friends, family members, etc., or earned as wages."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_commissary

Thank-you for sharing that.

If someone has an addiction to a hardcore drug like meth or heroin they're no longer in control of their mind and bodies. Locking them up is sometimes just enough to get them out of the cycle. I've heard many rehab stories where prison was attributed to saving their lives.

Yep, the guy that I used hire was always a good time but very hyper almost ADD

found out from visiting him in jail that he was arrested for possession of meth and trespassing on a construction site

He definitely detoxed while incarcerated but I believe sadly when he was released he jumped parole and drove to Florida and probably relapsed

Hey this is exactly what my guy told me - they keep the $$ in an account for you and you can use the it to to buy stuff like soap, shampoo, stationary, stamps, snacks and probably even some things that don't start with the letter 's' ;). I feel a little better now. Oh by the way he told me one other thing that's not mentioned in the article - the state DOC takes 50% of whatever money is sent to an inmate as some sort of administrative fee :eek:, up to the first $600. After that they get to keep it all.

Yep, the guy that I used hire was always a good time but very hyper almost ADD

found out from visiting him in jail that he was arrested for possession of meth and trespassing on a construction site

He definitely detoxed while incarcerated but I believe sadly when he was released he jumped parole and drove to Florida and probably relapsed

For sone reason I've met allot of addicts who were diagnosed with ADD. Prescribing them Ritalin and what not is probably a great gate way to the drug world.

Yes. Oy. Run.

I heard from the mother of a repeat trick asking me to write to her then incarcerated offspringand put some cigarette money in his jail canteen account - I was moving and thought it a good time to bring things to a conclusion. I saw him about 4 years later coming out of a department store with his GF and their baby --- He ran up and gave me a hug and asked for my new ph# -- He was still living with his mother --- NEXT!!

I received a letter from prison addressed to a previous resident of my apartment. I debated over opening it but decided to do it in case he was threatening her and thus me.

The guy was in prison for killing one man and ordering the murder of another, who survived the attempt. He has found the previous resident in a pen pal program but had waited several years to write to her. He described himself as a good, honest guy who is respectful of women.

I received a letter from prison addressed to a previous resident of my apartment. I debated over opening it but decided to do it in case he was threatening her and thus me.

The guy was in prison for killing one man and ordering the murder of another, who survived the attempt. He has found the previous resident in a pen pal program but had waited several years to write to her. He described himself as a good, honest guy who is respectful of women.

Maybe he just kills men!:p:cool:

I knew the guy was in some trouble because he asked me for a character reference a few months back, but when I didn't hear back I thought everything was ok. Apparently not, though in his letter he said the reference did help get him a lighter sentence.

I'm curious about this part. Your letter, presumably addressed to the judge or DA, got your friend a lighter sentence? I know little about this, but I would have thought that character witnesses need to testify under oath.

I'm curious about this part. Your letter, presumably addressed to the judge or DA, got your friend a lighter sentence? I know little about this, but I would have thought that character witnesses need to testify under oath.

Depends on the jurisdiction and type of case. I was asked and agreed to submit such a letter in a civil matter in Federal court. My friend ended up serving 6 months at home wearing an ankle monitor. He was also disbarred.

Guest europeanman
details, man!.....DETAILS!......(about the Dubai arrest part)

nothing worth mentioning. he was at the airport and a police dog sniffed some remains of coke in his pocket.

I don't know much about this either. I sent (e-mailed actually) the letter to his attorney (and cc'd him - that's how he knew my address) who presumably showed it to the DA/judge or whomever. He told me at the time that his lawyer may contact me, which I naturally thought meant testifying as some sort of character witness. The prospect of that did not thrill me given the true nature of our relationship but it turns out she never did get in touch. He may have told me the letter helped just to make me feel better. I'll probably never know for sure. BTW I checked online and the money order I sent him was cashed so we'll see if I ever hear back from him.

I don't know much about this either. I sent (e-mailed actually) the letter to his attorney (and cc'd him - that's how he knew my address) who presumably showed it to the DA/judge or whomever. He told me at the time that his lawyer may contact me, which I naturally thought meant testifying as some sort of character witness. The prospect of that did not thrill me given the true nature of our relationship but it turns out she never did get in touch. He may have told me the letter helped just to make me feel better. I'll probably never know for sure. BTW I checked online and the money order I sent him was cashed so we'll see if I ever hear back from him.

Dont sell yourself short! ;) I am aware of circumstances where a character witness can be very helpful. Especially when the individual providing the reference is in an acknowledged profession (think Attorney or Certified Public Accountant) or is an executive with a large or well know organisation.

It is an attestation, but is not under oath. You may be asked later to repeat it under oath. It should also be understood that these are only helpful if you have known the individual for an extended period of time and can explain the context of your relationship. :)

Dont sell yourself short!

Well ok if you say so :oops:

It is an attestation, but is not under oath. You may be asked later to repeat it under oath.

I doubt that. All this happened in Dec last year. He began his sentence in June. Are there character witnesses at parole hearings?

It should also be understood that these are only helpful if you have known the individual for an extended period of time and can explain the context of your relationship.

We met on backpage your honor! :)