Prayers for the Queen

bigvalboy
This topic is 2083 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

One of the True, True, True Legends. Music will never be the same.

First time I heard Respect I was in awe at the power the grit and the voice of Aretha. Never been a fan of her personally and that was reinforced several years but not important here. She was one of the true legends of music and an icon.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Franklin appeared on the cover of TIME in 1968, with a story that commended the “fierce, gritty conviction” of her voice.

“She flexes her rich, cutting voice like a whip; she lashes her listeners —in her words—’to the bone, for deepness,'” TIME noted at the time. “She does not seem to be performing so much as bearing witness to a reality so simple and compelling that she could not possibly fake it.”

50 years ago: June 28, 1968

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1968/1101680628_400.jpg

The world grieves. She could do almost everything.

This had me cry - Let Freedom Ring, Baby!

Do you think we will have a national day of mourning?

If led by Trump it would be meaningless and I hope he steers clear but, better handled by those who truly respected her for her achievements and had the wisdom to look beyond color..

What are the chances of 2 greats dying on the same day?

Aretha Louise Franklin (March 25, 1942 – August 16, 2018)

Elvis Aaron Presley[a] (January 8, 1935 – August 16, 1977)

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/died-august-16th.php and Bela Lugosi!

http://belalugosi.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/bela_wm_events_image2.jpg

Ms. Aretha Franklin

On respect:

A common theme for Aretha has always been the title of one of her most famous songs. “Everybody wants respect,” she told Rolling Stone in 2014. “In their own way, three-year-olds would like respect, and acknowledgment, in their terms.”

In a 2016 Elle piece about “Respect,” an Otis Redding cover that quickly rose to the top of the charts, Franklin told Sheila Weller, “As women, we do have it. We have the power. We are very resourceful. Women absolutely deserve respect. I think women and children and older people are the three least-respected groups in our society.”

The Independent in a 2011 interview. “It’s a lot easier putting it on than taking it off.”

On aging and retirement:

“Always semi-retire, never retire. Who wants to just sit somewhere?” she told the AARP Magazine. I’m a people person. And I love performing. It’s the way it is and the way it’s going to be.”

On staying grounded:

On her 1968 single “Think,” Aretha sang:

People walking around everyday

Playing games, taking score

Trying to make other people lose their minds

Ah, be careful you don’t lose yours.

On overcoming obstacles:

From a 1964 Ebony interview: “It’s the rough side of the mountain that’s the easiest to climb; the smooth side doesn’t have anything for you to hang on to.”

On the transformative power of music:

When Franklin was told in a 2016 Elle interview that songs like “Respect” inspired Harmony Grillo, an advocate for sexually exploited girls, to leave the man who had exploited her, the singer responded, “That makes it all worthwhile, just to know I uplifted another person — I wouldn’t be doing anything else. In terms of helping people understand and know each other a little better, music is universal — universal and transporting.”

On female independence:

From “A Rose Is Still a Rose” (1998):

A rose is still a rose

Baby girl, you’re still a flower

He can leave you and then take you

Make you and then break you

Darlin’, you hold the power.

On appreciating every day:

At her 74th birthday celebration in New York City, Aretha told People, “Every birthday is a gift. Every day is a gift.”