Prayers for the Queen

bigvalboy
This topic is 2083 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a life filled with milestones, a stunning array of awards and accomplishments

Honorary degrees

Franklin received honorary degrees from Harvard University, Princeton University, Yale University, Brown University,University of Pennsylvania, Berklee College of Music, New England Conservatory of Music, the University of Michigan, and in 1985, her voice was declared a Michigan "natural resource".

AND...Franklin was awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters by Wayne State University and an honorary Doctor of Law degree by Bethune-Cookman University

Legacy

220px-Aretha_Franklin_honored_with_the_Presidential_Medal_of_Freedom.jpg

Franklin wipes a tear after being given the Presidential Medal of Freedom on November 9, 2005, at the White House. She is seated between fellow recipients Robert Conquest (left) and Alan Greenspan.

Franklin received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1979, had her voice declared a Michigan "natural resource" in 1985,[124] and became the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.[125]

The National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences awarded her a Grammy Legend Award in 1991, then the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1994. Franklin was a Kennedy Center Honoree in 1994, recipient of the National Medal of Arts in 1999, and was bestowed the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005.[16] She was inducted into the Michigan Rock and Roll Legends Hall of Fame in 2005.[126]

Franklin became the second woman inducted to the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2005. She was the 2008 MusiCares Person of the Year, performing at the Grammys days later. Following news of Franklin's surgery and recovery in February 2011, the Grammys ceremony paid tribute to the singer with a medley of her classics performed by Christina Aguilera, Florence Welch, Jennifer Hudson, Martina McBride, and Yolanda Adams.[127] That same year she was ranked 19th among the Billboard Hot 100 All-Time top artists,[128] and ranked first on the Rolling Stone list of Greatest Singers of All Time.[129] In 2013, she was again ranked first in Rolling Stone magazine's "100 Greatest Singers" list.[130]

Inducted to the GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2012, Franklin was described as "the voice of the civil rights movement, the voice of black America" and a "symbol of black equality".[131][132] Asteroid 249516 Aretha was named in her honor in 2014.[133]

"American history wells up when Aretha sings," President Obama explained in response to her performance of "A Natural Woman" at the 2015 Kennedy Center Honors. "Nobody embodies more fully the connection between the African-American spiritual, the blues, R&B, rock and roll—the way that hardship and sorrow were transformed into something full of beauty and vitality and hope".[134] On June 8, 2017, the City of Detroit honored Franklin's legacy by renaming a portion of Madison Street, between Brush and Witherell Streets, "Aretha Franklin Way".[135]

On January 29, 2018, The Oakland Press′s correspondent Gary Graff confirmed that the American Idol runner-up Jennifer Hudson will take the role to play Franklin in her coming biopic.[136] The news was announced by the film's executive producer Clive Davis, who made public their decision on the choice of actors casting in the film two days before Graff's article was published.

An all-star tribute concert to Franklin, celebrating her music, is scheduled for November 14, 2018, at Madison Square Garden in New York City.[137]

Honorary degrees

Franklin received an honorary degree from Harvard University in 2014,[138] as well as honorary doctorates in music from Princeton University, 2012;[139] Yale University, 2010;[140] Brown University, 2009;[141] University of Pennsylvania, 2007;[142] Berklee College of Music, 2006;[143] New England Conservatory of Music, 1997;[144] and University of Michigan, 1987.[145]

Franklin was awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters by Wayne State University in 1990 and an honorary Doctor of Law degree by Bethune–Cookman University in 1975.[146]

Edited by bigvalboy

The world has lost another great one. Amazing how many friends and family members (even the young ones) I've talked with in the past 48 hours has nothing but good things to say about Aretha and were playing her on their iphones and home sound systems. She truly had a voice that reinforced there is a God. Adding to the melancholic feelings, I watched some of the online videos scenes with President Obama and her. One showed him calling out "Hold on Queen" and rushing across a stage to position a foot stool properly for her. I miss having a President I can be proud of. He's not alone in shedding a tear or more when listening to her.

I remember seeing her just a few years ago at the Chicago Theater. Her voice wasn't all there but being in the same room with such a legend was an honor. She earned her respect and I'm so glad I was able to see her perform before she passed. She's gone physically but her music is timeless and will be forever remembered and enjoyed. R.I.P to the Queen of soul.

Hugs,

Greg

Does anyone remember when Aretha Franklin threw major shade at Taylor Swift? I thought it was so funny. I'm not a huge fan of Taylor Swift, but I do like some of her later pop songs, (none of her country songs). It was during a lightning round interview where she was asked about younger artists. On Alecia Keys and Adele, she approved of them and gave compliments on their vocal talent. When the interviewer mentioned Taylor Swift, she says "Great Gowns, Beautiful Gowns". Snubbing Taylor of any mention of her vocal talent. Anyway here is the link.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/08/remember-that-time-aretha-franklin-shaded-taylor-swift.html

Some Very Wild Stories! Aretha Was A Sex Addict?

Queen of Soul: Aretha Franklin pictured in the late 1960s, when she was at the height of her fame and success. Her hits including Respect had made her a star - but behind the image was a troubled relationship with a notorious Detroit pimp and an appetite for sex, feuds and food which at times threatened to overwhelm her

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2810229/Diva-tantrums-feuds-rivals-insatiable-appetites-food-sex-orgy-loving-preacher-father-secret-life-Queen-Soul-Aretha-Franklin-laid-bare.html

1414434357543_wps_7_NEW_YORK_CIRCA_1961_Singe.jpg