Ever Hear Of A Human & Canine Restaurant?

Avalon
This topic is 2133 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I hadn't before. In the recent episode of Gordon Ramsay's restaurant make-over show it was a place in Wichita, Kansas. People can bring their dogs in and they can eat too.

Service animals aside I'd have thought that the local health department would not permit animals in a restaurant.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a lot of searching for dog-friendly restaurants, and have gotten to the point where it's a big factor in my decision on where to eat. Allowing dogs on outside patios is somewhat common in Michigan, although it's technically illegal. There's a bill in the Michigan legislature to officially make it legal (if not required). I know of very few restaurants where dogs are allowed inside, none in Michigan that I know of. Norm's in Seattle is the most famous one I've heard of: https://www.normseatery.com/ Even they acknowledge (from the "dogs rules" section of their site) "For the most part, we can get away with our furry friends (dogs only) coming into Norm’s without the Health Department giving us a hard time. "

https://www.bringfido.com/ is a great resource for finding dog friendly restaurants, hotels, etc.

My first night in Salzburg I was seated in the dining room of a 5 star hotel/castle. Large table of 6-8pp next to me had two pretty good sized German shepherds under the table! Didn’t bother me at all...the dogs were extremely well mannered.

That wasn’t the only time Austria/Germany I saw dogs in fine dining restaurants.

I like dogs. I've never had one because they require more care and attention than I'm willing to provide. And I can't see how it can be good for the dog to leave it alone in a cage all day while its owner is at work and to get out twice a day for a short walk. I wouldn't find it objectionable to see well behaved dogs in restaurants.

There is a certain type of dog owner, that I associate with California, who assumes that their dog is welcome anywhere and they bring their dog along without even thinking to ask if it's ok.

Local big-chain home improvement/hardware stores Loews and Home Depot encourage bringing dogs, Loews has a sign on their door saying they're welcome. My local smaller hardware store also allows dogs, and I've noticed the guy in the paint department who's kind of a dick is noticeably friendlier when I bring my dog.

There is a certain type of dog owner, that I associate with California, who assumes that their dog is welcome anywhere and they bring their dog along without even thinking to ask if it's ok.

I lean that way. I don't bring my dog to friend's houses without asking, but it's rare that I don't ask when invited. I wouldn't do it in a restaurant without checking. But I've brought my dog into stores (always leashed); I'll leave if they object, but I've been surprised more than once about who objects and who doesn't. My dog is pretty well-behaved, good with people, and not a barker at all.

I lean that way. I don't bring my dog to friend's houses without asking, but it's rare that I don't ask when invited. I wouldn't do it in a restaurant without checking. But I've brought my dog into stores (always leashed); I'll leave if they object, but I've been surprised more than once about who objects and who doesn't. My dog is pretty well-behaved, good with people, and not a barker at all.

I would be happy to have a guest bring a well-behaved dog along - if they had checked with me first. I have two cats, so the dog might end up with a scratched nose.

Definitely a dog guy and a right-to-privacy guy but this reminds me of a saying I've seen a lot around northern Europe snarking on the negative birthrate. Translated:

Your Great-Grandmother: 12 Kids

Your Grandmother: 6 Kids

Your Grandmother: 2 Kids

You: Abortion and a Dog

Deine Urgroßmutter: 12 Kinder

Deine Großmutter: 6 Kinder

Deine Großmutter: 2 Kinder

Sie: Abtreibung und ein Hund

ChfNnQbU8AAvZj3.jpg

At least they're raising that baby All-American; morbidly obese and spoiled rotten.

And, I guess, the Americanized version of that thought:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQowti0r0IPYz6pAcEA-CbAVZFVqBPrlQNecPhtIL_JWvueLXYG

Edited by tassojunior

Definitely a dog guy and a right-to-privacy guy but this reminds me of a saying I've seen a lot around northern Europe snarking on the negative birthrate. Translated:

Your Great-Grandmother: 12 Kids

Your Grandmother: 6 Kids

Your Grandmother: 2 Kids

You: Abortion and a Dog

Deine Urgroßmutter: 12 Kinder

Deine Großmutter: 6 Kinder

Deine Großmutter: 2 Kinder

Sie: Abtreibung und ein Hund

ChfNnQbU8AAvZj3.jpg

At least they're raising that baby All-American; morbidly obese and spoiled rotten.

A pet peeve of mine is when humans treat a pet like a human and call it a member of the family.

I'd rather dine with dogs than small children or infants.

I don't mind a crying child because I'm not the one who has to go home with it and put up with it 24/7. Besides it might be karma for when the parents were infants.:p

A pet peeve of mine is when humans treat a pet like a human and call it a member of the family.

I absolutely consider my dog a member of the family....100%. In our friendly split 4 years ago I gave custody of our pug to my ex but I pay all vet bills etc and send treats and toys from Amazon. Fitting easily under an airplane seat, Bruno went with us to Ft. Lauderdale and Key West a half dozen times, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone (he chased an elk), Seattle, San Francisco, Huntington Beach, New York, New Hampshire, etc. They discriminate terribly against furry guys going to Hawaii.

Edited by tassojunior

My mother had a dog, a cairn terrier, that she often took with her and when I went along it was my job to watch the dog. I remember one time in a department store my mother went her way and I and the dog went our way. I wasn't paying much attention to the dog, she was on a leash. I was looking at something but then when I looked down I saw that the dog had urinated on the floor; there was a yellow puddle. We made a hasty exit from the store.

I remember once when I was walking the dog and saw a large dog was approaching. I thought my mom's dog would want to fight so I stooped down to pick her up but to my amazement she met me half-way up in the air!

I absolutely consider my dog a member of the family....100%. In our friendly split 4 years ago I gave custody of our pug to my ex but I pay all vet bills etc and send treats and toys from Amazon. Fitting easily under an airplane seat, Bruno went with us to Ft. Lauderdale and Key West a half dozen times, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Seattle, San Francisco, Huntington Beach, New York, New Hampshire, etc. They discriminate against furry guys going to Hawaii.

When I was a boy I got a dachshund, black smooth hair. A family friend got her sister. For several years the sister sent my dog a Christmas card. ;-)))

428b3523053243659ced8fa95aad4169?1492959624

Bruno calls me on video calls. Usually when he needs $.

A lot of people now use their home security cams to watch and talk to their dogs at home. Since human kids are out of style, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the primary use of home cams now; Checking in and talking to your dog.

The big thing in home cams is the interactive dog-treat dispenser. You can talk to your dog and dispense a treat remotely. Many brands make it. One:

https://shopus.furbo.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwy_XaBRAWEiwApfjKHoWAAUmNRgeaNfhKR_VUZu175UVztHwbMBepVyJUaK0wLZ038DUN8RoCmGYQAvD_BwE

Furbo Dog Camera

See, talk, and toss treats to your dog even when you’re not home.

Real-time Barking Alerts

When our dogs bark, it could mean something's wrong at home. Furbo Dog Camera sends you an alert so you can immediately check in on them.

Smart Dog Alerts

Know exactly what your dog is up to at home alone. Using AI-powered dog recognition, Furbo can detect and notify you of important dog-related events.

(translation: This invasion of privacy could be pointed at a sofa to bust a dog too).

Designed for Dogs

Unlike a basic pet cam, Furbo is made just for dogs. Working closely with vets and dog trainers, Furbo is designed to help train, comfort, and reward dogs when they're home alone.

How Does Furbo Work?

Furbo is an interactive smart dog camera that lets you see, talk, and toss treats to your dog from anywhere.

furbo-banner-desktop-22.png?2414286421982244986

dog_furbo-min_0508f818-15b0-4abb-859c-9005c57f4a02.png?2811070828359634353

Edited by tassojunior

OK what should I do? I’m sitting alone in a crowded restaurant in the middle of my meal when the hostess seats at the next table a lady and her service dog. I’m deathly allergic to most dogs and all cats. I’ve had to flee dinner parties when I couldn’t breathe only to learn that my hosts were stashing their new puppy dachshund in the basement. There’s no table for either of us to move to. Should I ask the hostess to make her wait? If that’s not possible should I have to pay for a meal I can’t complete?

Should I resign myself to forever dinning on take out or delivery? Is my hereditary disability to be forever trumped by her psychological one? I wonder?

It's your problem not the dog's. You're still thinking in a human-centric way.

Seriously, this issue comes up on planes a lot and it should be up to the restaurant owner to ask patrons if they have a problem. On airlines they usually don't but will reseat a passenger with an allergy who's next to a dog. A restaurant should be more pro-active.

Did they offer you a human bag?

OK what should I do? I’m sitting alone in a crowded restaurant in the middle of my meal when the hostess seats at the next table a lady and her service dog. I’m deathly allergic to most dogs and all cats. I’ve had to flee dinner parties when I couldn’t breathe only to learn that my hosts were stashing their new puppy dachshund in the basement. There’s no table for either of us to move to. Should I ask the hostess to make her wait? If that’s not possible should I have to pay for a meal I can’t complete?

Should I resign myself to forever dinning on take out or delivery? Is my hereditary disability to be forever trumped by her psychological one? I wonder?

Maybe you should explain your situation to the hostess when you first enter the establishment? Of course these days the rights of the person with the animal will trump your health rights.

Personally I think you should get the meal free and have it bagged up to go.

I was surprised to see people being seated with their pet dogs in Paris but the worst was when people with a dog the size of a horse sat down in the outside cafe of a restaurant in Cape Town, South Africa. The restaurant actually had to move a table to accommodate the dog.

You have a problem with customers of size? :cool: