Have You Ever Had To Watch Your Language In Front Of Straight People?

Avalon
This topic is 2141 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Of course. I try to consider their unfortunate ‘narrow-mindedness’ when I come across it. That being said, I will also admit to sometimes being very deliberate about pushing the boundaries of their comfort zone...it’s good for ‘em. A little discomfort can be character building, don’t you think?? :D

I always did as I grew up (cousins were forever talking about fags) and it became a habit unless I was among friends. As the world has changed and become freer so have I. I realize that I will never be 100% free of those limitations but it is good to see that those younger than me have less and those younger than them have even less.

But a straight male worker then gave me the "limp wrist".

I understand that situations, both private and public are infinitely different for everyone, and as such, I would never judge your reactions, but I would hope that you said something.

I stopped that nonsense 40 years ago...In 09 or so, (it's amazing how quickly time goes by) I had a boss who tried that BS. He tried to insult my sexuality and ethnicity. I sued, I won, I retired...

I understand that situations, both private and public are infinitely different for everyone, and as such, I would never judge your reactions, but I would hope that you said something.

I stopped that nonsense 40 years ago...In 09 or so, (it's amazing how quickly time goes by) I had a boss who tried that BS. He tried to insult my sexuality and ethnicity. I sued, I won, I retired...

I said nothing; just brushed it off.

I remember once at work many years ago I used the word "delightful". I forget the context now. But a straight male worker then gave me the "limp wrist".

I thought you would talk about a more interesting type of language (e.g. "and then he dripped his delicious precum like a leaky faucet as I nuzzled my face under his balls and licked my way to his asshole"). I do watch that sort of language around most straight people.

I was recently out to my group of friends, and one of them & I had gone to one of those mazes cut into cornfields. We were lost, trying to figure out where we were, and my friend kept saying "I know we're just rimming the border of the maze". I finally had to ask him to stop, and asked him to google what the word meant. I don't think he was ready to hear that from me yet.

In a news panel show a couple of years ago one of the panellists referred to a good outcome in some political context as a 'happy ending', to the considerable mirth of the rest of the panel and much of the audience. She had no idea what was funny about what she had said. Not so much a gay issue but an example of a less than universally known meaning for innocent sounding words.

In a news panel show a couple of years ago one of the panellists referred to a good outcome in some political context as a 'happy ending', to the considerable mirth of the rest of the panel and much of the audience. She had no idea what was funny about what she had said. Not so much a gay issue but an example of a less than universally known meaning for innocent sounding words.

I forget the context now but in one episode of "The Office" I remember Michael Scott talked about "golden showers" ;-)))

I remember once at work many years ago I used the word "delightful". I forget the context now. But a straight male worker then gave me the "limp wrist".

I have been out since I am 19yo --- I have a deep booming baritone voice -- I have been fired for being Gay and told I was the most qualified applicant but they don't hire Gays ---- I smiled and said thanks - but I have met staff and I would not be the first . . .

At my old job in a mostly male warehouse I had to watching my phrasing but since I was considered the intellectual a very dry uttering of charming was hardly an indicator. I heard rumors I was a snob and secretly married with a sugar mama as nobody knew anything about my personal life.