Under current trends, 1 in 2 AA and 1 in 4 Hispanic MSM will get HIV

Walker1
This topic is 2137 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/2016/croi-press-release-risk.html

About two years ago, but interesting stats. They estimate if current trends persist, 1 in 2 MSM African Americans will be diagnosed with HIV and 1 in 4 MSM Hispanics. For whites it is MSM 1 in 11 and overall for the population 1 in 99.

By area, Washington DC has the highest with 1 in 13-all the congress men?

Interesting , I wonder why is the risk so lopsided in the black and Hispanic MSM?

Do they not track Asians?

Edited by Walker1

https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/2016/croi-press-release-risk.html

About two years ago, but interesting stats. They estimate if current trends persist, 1 in 2 African Americans will be diagnosed with HIV and 1 in 4 Hispanics. For whites it is 1 in 11 and overall for the population 1 in 99.

By area, Washington DC has the highest with 1 in 13-all the congress men?

Interesting , I wonder why is the risk so lopsided in the black and Hispanic MSM?

Do they not track Asians?

The different levels of systemic racism in the USA perhaps

I think it was initially a combination of higher rates of IV drug use(or maybe just higher rates of needle sharing) and more people in the closet in those communities. Being closeted tends to lead to higher number of different partners which increases the risk.

The first is a function of poverty, the second is a function of higher rates of church membership.

I think it was initially a combination of higher rates of IV drug use(or maybe just higher rates of needle sharing) and more people in the closet in those communities. Being closeted tends to lead to higher number of different partners which increases the risk.

The first is a function of poverty, the second is a function of higher rates of church membership.

agreed. The greatest epidemiological health impact in the gay community is coming out. Nothing has had greater population-level health impacts than that.

This knowledge has been spouted for way more than 2 years.

It's fucked up that such an unacceptable outcome is not being addressed effectively. Gee, maybe no one gives a fuck if we die. Could that be the reason?

Or maybe no one has come up with effective interventions? I know I don't have an answer for this.

Or maybe no one has come up with effective interventions? I know I don't have an answer for this.

Yeah, I was just stunned when I read the report, 1 in 2 that is 50% of all African Americans who are gay/bi are expected to contract HIV. Hispanic MSM are 25%.

I was just wondering the reason for the disparity? 1 in 2 seems awfully high-lack of condom use, inadequate healthcare for Prep etc , poverty -just awfully high for a 50% chance of getting HIV in their lifetime.

For all gays it is 1 in 6, but within that AA and Hispanic are in the high side and whites 1 in 11 and so I guess it averages out.

For all people 1 in 99. However Washington D.C has a 1 in 13 prevalence of getting HIV.

Interesting odds and stats. Maryland, Georgia , FL and Louisiana all follow behind with close to 1 in 50 of the populace getting HIV. Interesting clusters.

But I wonder if there are any prevention programs targeting AA and Hispanic MSM in particular ?

I think a major reason also is due to the lack of health coverage and facilities in those neighborhoods. Up until just a few years ago Howard Brown an all inclusive healthcare facility only had 2 office to see people. And where you might ask? The fancy pants part of Chicago, Lakeview. Only within the last few years did they expand further south where blacks and Latinos live and into my area a few neighborhoods north of their main facility. Blacks and Latinos usually have higher rates of jobs that do not offer insurance so that's a whole another barrier.

Hugs,

Greg

About two years ago, but interesting stats. They estimate if current trends persist, 1 in 2 African Americans will be diagnosed with HIV and 1 in 4 Hispanics. For whites it is 1 in 11 and overall for the population 1 in 99.

Whoa! In this para you've conflated MSM rates and general population rates, but that became clearer in later posts. The 2, 4 and 11 figures are the key ones, at least to start with, and they are for MSM. 99 is for the general population (i.e. not just MSM). The figures don`t appear to control for other risk factors like injecting drug use, so they point to a need for outreach and public health measures on all risk factors for African-American men, not just sexual health issues.

Whoa! In this para you've conflated MSM rates and general population rates, but that became clearer in later posts. The 2, 4 and 11 figures are the key ones, at least to start with, and they are for MSM. 99 is for the general population (i.e. not just MSM). The figures don`t appear to control for other risk factors like injecting drug use, so they point to a need for outreach and public health measures on all risk factors for African-American men, not just sexual health issues.

Yes, I forgot to put mSM, updated. The CDC link has all the figures split up. Even among straight populations, they are very high for AA.

IV drug injection rates are also provided. Surprising for MSM though it is 1 in 2-that just seems unacceptable.

Yes, I forgot to put mSM, updated. The CDC link has all the figures split up. Even among straight populations, they are very high for AA.

IV drug injection rates are also provided. Surprising for MSM though it is 1 in 2-that just seems unacceptable.

To a certain extent, it's a function of current prevalence in the community as a whole. And with black people having less financial resources on average, it's more likely they may experience gaps in health coverage, go off their meds for intermittent periods, and thus higher risk to transmit.

There could also be a chicken and egg question here - if being gay is less accepted in the black community, fewer are going to answer honestly in a survey in the first place, so the denominator could be understated.