Five alternative terms you can use instead of LGBT

Avalon
This topic is 2122 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully I won’t get in trouble with the powers that be...if so I’m happy to delete this post.

But I love being a “faggot”.

It’s dirty, tough, uncomfortable and beautiful all at once.....just like me.

Yes, it’s not inclusive of the 99 other “LMNOP’s....and I really don’t care.

I never really saw the point of lumping us all together in an alphabet marathon anyways.

Edited by nycman

Gay.

Like others here, I'm not so sure about "queer," especially as I tend to think it's taken on a political edge over time.

I can't stand all the acronyms. I understand that's very un-PC of me, and that various groups may feel I'm disrespecting them, but I'll say it again. I can't stand the acronyms.

And while we're there, I'm very sorry, but I can't do the gender pronouns thing either. Just can't. I'm ok if you want me to refer to you as the opposite gender or as neither, but I'd rather someone just tells me that, rather than spouting a list of pronouns after their name. It feels very impersonal and pretentious to me, and it makes me feel like I'm back in an elementary school English class. There must be a better way.

When did it become LGBT rather than GLBT?

Last time I was corrected it was GLBTI or GLBTBNB to include Intersex or Binary/Non-Binary, not sure they've decided which yet. And whether G or L comes first I don't want to take sides on. So I stick with Queer because it's more PC than thou if it comes to that. It's what our oppressors called us and nobody is going to tell me that because I'm a homosexual man I have to be happy all the time. I feel queer not gay.

Edited by tassojunior

alternative terms you can use instead of LGBT

That is interesting the majority so far have voted for "Queer." I like Queer also, maybe because I am used to it.

I've always liked the word queer. It means strange, and I know I'm strange. I like being strange.

I describe myself as gay

Fag. Oh and I have no time to spell out the full alphabet. LGBT is more than enough.

The last I was told it's at least up to LGBTBNB but I think that misses a couple.

1645809.gif

This. Can't we just keep it simple?

I mean, people barely got used to VHS before DVDs took over. Now, we're told it 4k. Let's give the consumer a little more time to adapt.

I'm queer but not gay, which even on a generous interpretation only covers same-sex attraction.

Also gay originally applied to men only and expanded. We already use "men" generically, and "he" is used as a universal pronoun. Sorry, I'm not willing to go along with a male-associated term as a community descriptor for people who aren't heterosexual or cisgender.

It's fine to use more specific descriptors for yourself, but it's not fine to make them blanket terms. Besides, some of us prefer not to have to explain exactly what we are, as in trans, nonbinary or bisexual/pansexual, especially since I've been involved in metaphorical shouting matches over whether there is any difference between pansexual and bisexual. I think pansexual is clearer and that bisexual didn't originally mean the same thing (and for some still doesn't), but fewer people know what it means. Use of the term queer solves that problem.

Edited by quoththeraven

LGBTBNB, those first 4, and using the F-word sound crazy to me. Queer is sort of acceptable but still pushing it for my taste. But what do I know I always thought it should be LGBPA : les, gay, bi, pan, and asexual. HIT: hermaphrodites, intersexed, and trans people for the most part face totally different struggles .

Not as different as you think.

I believe the politically correct term is LGBTQ now. Don't forget the Q.

I gets horribly complicated. There are endless variations of names for transsexual people. What is a 'cis girl'? What is a 'pansexual demigirl'?

Just be GAY.

Actually queer is the inclusive choice, and the choice of the younger generation. Also the term for the associated academic field, queer studies.

Food for thought: the Seoul Pride parade is officially called the Seoul Queer Culture Festival. In English. The most common term used in South Korea is sexual minorities. And homosexuality/queerness is more frowned on in North Korea than South Korea.

Actually queer is the inclusive choice, and the choice of the younger generation. Also the term for the associated academic field, queer studies.

Food for thought: the Seoul Pride parade is officially called the Seoul Queer Culture Festival. In English. The most common term used in South Korea is sexual minorities. And homosexuality/queerness is more frowned on in North Korea than South Korea.

I watched that yesterday! I thought about posting it but didn't.

A Canadian reminiscing about the differences between South Korea now and when he moved there ten years ago cited the widespread belief that there were no gay/queer people there at the time he arrived versus 40% support for same-sex marriage now.

Also relevant: the second and third songs released by openly gay singer Holland. He's not the first, but he's the first to make his sexuality central to his art. I've heard rumors that he's now signed to a music agency (he released his first song on his own) that is giving him help and support behind the scenes.

(Yes, that's a ten-second long kiss starting at about 2:30. And the video implies it's all a dream.)

The next video is a continuation of the first.