Victoria & Abdul

Avalon
This topic is 2118 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've watched it. I though it delightful. Ah the glory days of the Empire. Sigh. Two things. The Queen says that she had almost one billion citizens. I think a better word for the time would have been subjects. The Queen died in the arms of her grandson the Kaiser. That was not seen though he was present in the room in the movie.

Just watched it last night on HBO. I didn't care for it. It was based on a true story, but it to me it came off as pure fiction. Maybe because it was over-dramatized. Of course I did run to wikipedia to catch-up on the historical facts; so watching it wasn't a total waste.

I felt exactly the same way, it didn't grab my interest. Best thing about last night was the amazing bottle of red wine I got at Trader Joe's for $4.

Judi Dench really is good in this. I love the image (which would have been accurate) of the queen seated at the end of the dining table where she is presented the coin. Queen Victoria was an extremely short woman so it is great that you can barely see her as the director shoots down the table towards her. I saw it on DVD (and then watched it again on HBO). I had not realized that Stephen Frears directed it. He always gets a chuckle out of me.

I recently finished a biography of Princess Louise, Victoria and Albert’s daughter who married locally, led a rather bohemian life and lived on into the 1930’s I think. Victoria’s death and the swiftness with which the family dealt with Abdul are briefly covered. They were not compassionate.

I saw the film in the theater when it was in wide release. It seemed to me that it was much more about Victoria's feelings of moving toward an impending death, feeling the aches and pains of old age, and having very little intellectual stimulation within her court at that time in her life. Unlike John Brown, for which there was quite a solid case that a sexual relationship may have existed, her relationship with Abdul was much more about Victoria's curiosity about her commonwealth's ethnic diversity. She seemed to have found someone who exchanged ideas and interacted intellectually with her at a time when she had grown weary of life.

I thought Dame Judi was excellent. Another completely realized characterization among many she has achieved over the years. As for Ali Fazal as Abdul, the actor is so much hotter than the extant pictures I've found of the real Abdul. He was quite good in the role too, in my opinion. I enjoyed the film for what it was and for showing me a part of Victoria's reign I never even realized existed.

TruHart1 :cool:

I saw the film in the theater when it was in wide release. It seemed to me that it was much more about Victoria's feelings of moving toward an impending death, feeling the aches and pains of old age, and having very little intellectual stimulation within her court at that time in her life. Unlike John Brown, for which there was quite a solid case that a sexual relationship may have existed, her relationship with Abdul was much more about Victoria's curiosity about her commonwealth's ethnic diversity. She seemed to have found someone who exchanged ideas and interacted intellectually with her at a time when she had grown weary of life.

I thought Dame Judi was excellent. Another completely realized characterization among many she has achieved over the years. As for Ali Fazal as Abdul, the actor is so much hotter than the extant pictures I've found of the real Abdul. He was quite good in the role too, in my opinion. I enjoyed the film for what it was and for showing me a part of Victoria's reign I never even realized existed.

TruHart1 :cool:

Regarding the real Abdul I thought the other actor looked more like him than Ali Fazal except Abdul was taller.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Fazal

"Fazal keeps his relationship link-ups private and conceal it even from his family."

Interesting!