Chewy.com

purplekow
This topic is 2141 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I started ordering my dogs' food from Chewy.com and initially I was very pleased. Lately, I have been getting cans of food which have been bent, much more so than a little ding. Chewy is cheaper than the retail, but in the retail store, dinged cans can be as much as 50% off, so with a large percentage of the cans I am receiving, I am paying more with Chewy than with retail. I usually order 10 cases per month and I would say that more than 2 cases could be made up from the dinged cans.

Anyone else not enjoying their Chewy cans?

I use chewy.com and allivet.com for a couple supplements that I can't find at my local Pet Supplies Plus, otherwise I'm fiercely loyal to that store. They're locally based, the people there are incredibly helpful and always recognize my dog (and me, as an afterthought :-) ) when I visit. Our first visit there to pick out food for her right after I'd got her, the guy helping us knew a lot about the food, was almost unconsciously petting her the whole time he was talking to us, and mentioned at one point "She seems like a really happy dog, you're doing a good job with her." The cynical side of me thinks that could be a line they teach them in employee orientation :-P, but I do my best to look to them first for anything I need.

I use chewy.com and allivet.com for a couple supplements that I can't find at my local Pet Supplies Plus, otherwise I'm fiercely loyal to that store. They're locally based, the people there are incredibly helpful and always recognize my dog (and me, as an afterthought :) ) when I visit. Our first visit there to pick out food for her right after I'd got her, the guy helping us knew a lot about the food, was almost unconsciously petting her the whole time he was talking to us, and mentioned at one point "She seems like a really happy dog, you're doing a good job with her." The cynical side of me thinks that could be a line they teach them in employee orientation :p, but I do my best to look to them first for anything I need.

I'm glad to see that Pet Supplies Plus has upped their game. When they first opened in Chicago (1990's) their stores were a bit of a mess.

@purplekow, I've not used Chewy because their prices on dry cat food were higher than PetSmart and a regional SW/Intermoutain chain called Pet Club. However, I used Amazon in the past and was pleased with the condition of the products I received.

Does your dog give a shit if the can's bent?

Kevin Slater

My dog does not care, but I am paying a premium price for a product which I could get cheaper if I chose to use dented cans. I do not feel that the food is as safe in a damaged can and so I do not buy products of that type. The number of dented cans has increaed so much that I am not going to use Chewy any longer and was asking if others had the same experience. So that's my answer to your snarky question.

Edited by purplekow

I got dented cans from chewy.com once. I took photos of them and emailed them to to their customer service department along with my receipt. They immediately sent an entire new box of new, undented cans for free.

The sad part is, much as I want to keep my business in the local stores, chewy has the best prices on the prescription foods my dog has to eat. I save quite a bit of money going through them, which is their business model - but I still frequent my local store for treats and goodies.

My dog does not care, but I am paying a premium price for a product which I could get cheaper if I chose to use dented cans. I do not feel that the food is as safe in a damaged can and so I do not buy products of that type. The number of dented cans has increaed so much that I am not going to use Chewy any longer and was asking if others had the same experience. So that's my answer to your snarky question.

Have you complained to Chewy? Their customer service is OUTSTANDING. I'd bet if you mentioned it, they would ship you more cans and call you to be sure the new cans arrived undamaged.

Chewy replaced the local wholesale pet supply in the San Fernando Valley for me. Chewy's prices were competitive with the wholesaler and much lower that the PETCO, PETSMART, and the world famous Rusty's Discount Pet Store. With free shipping, one-day service from their warehouse in Las Vegas, I'll stick with Chewy.

Some friends use Amazon, but their supplies ship from Hebron KY. Long hot trip in the summer.

I had not bothered with a complaint until you guys recommended it and you were right. They were quick with a positive response and a refund of $50 and asked if there were more than the 20 I mentioned in the last order they would just need to know how many. I called it even but did send a reply that I would be keeping track of the dented cans and if it became excessive I would write again. All three cans I used today were dented, but not beyond use. One was difficult to open because of the dent. Still they did not looked damaged enough to have had the food go bad, so no complaint with these.

There are dangers with deformed cans, but denting in itself isn't one of them. Evidence of bulging certainly is. I would see this as an issue of cost. If you can buy dented cans more cheaply elsewhere, factor that into your decision of whether to buy by mail order. Do a test on the next consignment, count the number of undamaged cans and the number of dented cans and work out how much you would pay buying that many of each locally. If that calculation puts mail order ahead, just take it, and limit your customer service calls to times when they exceed the average number of damaged cans. (Don't disregard the fact that by complaining you are giving them feedback on their shipping company, if they change shipping arrangements that could push up the price.)