Anyone Been To The Versailles Palace?

Avalon
This topic is 2145 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louis XIV controlled the unruly French Aristocracy by insisting that only at Versailles could they have access to the King and his Ministers. He then instituted all sorts of arcane protocols and formalities. For example if you wanted to attend Court in the Month of April of a given year you had to wear a coat of pale blue and ribbons in gold, if not properly attired, you were denied access. Those attending court had to spend a fortune to be properly attired, in fact the French Fashion industry is said to have had its beginnings with the Court of Louis XIV. Louis even insisted on uniformity in the attire of the Clergy. The Anglican Priest who taught my confirmation classes explained the the clergy did not always wear the Cassock, Chasuble, and Surplice common to most Catholic and Anglican clergy today until Louis had his tailors enforce order on the French clergy by standardizing the costumes of Priests, Bishops, and Cardinals

Louis XIV controlled the unruly French Aristocracy by insisting that only at Versailles could they have access to the King and his Ministers. He then instituted all sorts of arcane protocols and formalities. For example if you wanted to attend Court in the Month of April of a given year you had to wear a coat of pale blue and ribbons in gold, if not properly attired, you were denied access. Those attending court had to spend a fortune to be properly attired, in fact the French Fashion industry is said to have had its beginnings with the Court of Louis XIV. Louis even insisted on uniformity in the attire of the Clergy. The Anglican Priest who taught my confirmation classes explained the the clergy did not always wear the Cassock, Chasuble, and Surplice common to most Catholic and Anglican clergy today until Louis had his tailors enforce order on the French clergy by standardizing the costumes of Priests, Bishops, and Cardinals

Fascinating! Thank-you! Could you share a source for the pale blue in April? I'd like to read more about that. Did each month have its own color?

Fascinating! Thank-you! Could you share a source for the pale blue in April? I'd like to read more about that. Did each month have its own color?

Sorry Avalon, that is what my History of Fashion Professor described to us in a lecture(45 years ago), and I should have clarified that the color and month were merely an example of what could have been a requirement. My Prof cited Louis’ approach as being one of fashions most direct influences on History.

Sorry Avalon, that is what my History of Fashion Professor described to us in a lecture(45 years ago), and I should have clarified that the color and month were merely an example of what could have been a requirement. My Prof cited Louis’ approach as being one of fashions most direct influences on History.

I understand. Thanks!

I visited during a grand European tour in my early 20’s.

I thought it was wildly overrated.

Perhaps it was a result of years of hearing teacher after

teacher extol it’s virtues in high school. Or maybe it was

just castle and cathedral fatigue. In reality....it was nice...

but far from the epic fantasyland I had come to expect.

The gardens did not, in fact, extend into eternity. The Hall

of Mirrors....was not, in reality, endless.

It’s on my list of places I want to revisit as a mature adult.

was there in about 1982 or so at about age 20.....things I remember: a typically somewhat-grumpy Parisian ticket-seller helping (?) us with train/bus tickets to head out there.....that central front entrance courtyard being very regal and symmetrical.....the Hall of Mirrors being smaller, less bright and colorful, and less wow-inducing than the pictures I'd seen before visiting led me to think it'd be......the view out the back was nice.....glad I got to see it.....a nice escape from central Paris

When I was in the USN and stationed in Naples, Italy (1988-1990) I travelled a LOT, practically going somewhere every weekend even if it was just to Pompeii, Capri, the Amalfi coast, or Rome. On longer weekends we’d head up to Florence and Venice. Coolest city I ever visited was San Gimignano.

At the beginning and end of my four year tour of duty in Italy I took the train around on a long Eurail Pass hitting a few of the major cities - Viennna, Amsterdam, etc., and once spending five days in Paris. While there I spent the entire day at Versailles and enjoyed it immensely, as others have said the gardens probably more so than the palace. The grounds are expansive, the palace quite stunning, especially the famous Hall of Mirrors. All in all is was a grand adventure to be sure.

San Gimignano sounds really great. Have you ever been back?

was there in about 1982 or so at about age 20.....things I remember: a typically somewhat-grumpy Parisian ticket-seller helping (?) us with train/bus tickets to head out there.....that central front entrance courtyard being very regal and symmetrical.....the Hall of Mirrors being smaller, less bright and colorful, and less wow-inducing than the pictures I'd seen before visiting led me to think it'd be......the view out the back was nice.....glad I got to see it.....a nice escape from central Paris

There was some commercial not too long ago - I forget for what - that took place in the Hall of Mirrors. A rope dropped down to a woman from a dome. There is no dome in the Hall of Mirrors. I wonder many watching that commercial caught that error?