Hospital Check In - New Questions

sam.fitzpatrick
This topic is 2146 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Today I had a scheduled, outpatient procedure at the hospital. During the check in, the gal behind the desk lowered her voice and stated, "In support of gender identification, we have a set of questions we now ask everyone."

Q1: What name do you prefer to go by? (Despite the temptation to respond, 'Winnie the Pooh', I responded, "Either Sam or Samuel is fine."n

Q2: What gender do you identify as? (I think there were more choices beyond male and female, I responded "male" as she was reading choices.)

Q3: Do you identify yourself as transgender, bisexual, prefer not to answer, lesbian or gay, ...(at this point I cut hr off with "gay.")

Although I didn't mind answering the questions, I was surprised they were asked. My designated driver had been admitted to the same hospital chain earlier this year and wasn't asked these questions, so it must be something new.

Interesting regarding sexual identity there was "prefer not to answer".

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Several years ago at my doctor's office I had to fill out a special questionnaire about my ethnicity, race, nationality. There were so many choices.

"sam.fitzpatrick said:
Today I had a scheduled, outpatient procedure at the hospital. During the check in, the gal behind the desk lowered her voice and stated, "In support of gender identification, we have a set of questions we now ask everyone."

Q1: What name do you prefer to go by? (Despite the temptation to respond, 'Winnie the Pooh', I responded, "Either Sam or Samuel is fine."n

Q2: What gender do you identify as? (I think there were more choices beyond male and female, I responded "male" as she was reading choices.)

Q3: Do you identify yourself as transgender, bisexual, prefer not to answer, lesbian or gay, ...(at this point I cut hr off with "gay.")

Although I didn't mind answering the questions, I was surprised they were asked. My designated driver had been admitted to the same hospital chain earlier this year and wasn't asked these questions, so it must be something new.

Maybe she liked what she saw and was asking for herself. ;)

"sam.fitzpatrick said:

Usually all the preliminary questions (do you drink? Etc. ) are on a form that I fill, and I never get to speak to anyone about this standard process. How come she asked in person?

Also, which state is this, if I may ask? (not to know where you live, but where is this now required).

At the Whitman Walker gay health center here in DC they not only started asking those questions but also have badges you can wear showing what gender pronoun you prefer to be referred by in a few languges. Its not just GLBT either.....there are a lot more letters added on to that now.

My doctor's office, affiliated with the local hospital, always has patients fill out a new questionnaire at the beginning of each year. For the last 2 years, they have added questions about sexual activity. I can't remember the exact phasing of the questions, but something along the lines of whether you're sexually active, and whether partners are same or opposite sex. I've always thought that was too intrusive for a questionnaire that would be viewed by who knows how many support staff members. Those details are better left for discussion with the doctor in person. I check not active on the questionnaire.

Political Correctness is going to destroy our civilization.

Some of these overly intrusive questions are required under Obamacare. The questions regarding sexual identity, sexual activity, mental state and others are mandated by law. (At least that’s my understanding.) I surmise that the pronoun preference questions and other such nonsense is the the a result of some diversity program administrator trying to gather data and push forward an agenda at the same time.

Usually all the preliminary questions (do you drink? Etc. ) are on a form that I fill, and I never get to speak to anyone about this standard process. How come she asked in person?

Also, which state is this, if I may ask? (not to know where you live, but where is this now required).

My entire in take process was oral. I had a 10-minute phone interview yesterday. These questions popped up today.

I live in Ohio. I didn't think this is a state law to ask, but rather a question set the hospital group implemented.

Political Correctness is going to destroy our civilization.

Some of these overly intrusive questions are required under Obamacare. The questions regarding sexual identity, sexual activity, mental state and others are mandated by law. (At least that’s my understanding.) I surmise that the pronoun preference questions and other such nonsense is the the a result of some diversity program administrator trying to gather data and push forward an agenda at the same time.

Couldn’t disagree with you more.

Back when the Red Cross first started screening for possible HIV-infected blood, they did not have printed questionnaires about "have you had sex with a man" or "do you share needles", they had the little old lady volunteers asking those questions. Those poor ladies...

I remember giving blood at a company sponsored event, and the volunteers would quietly ask if my blood should be given to others. This was back in the early 80s. I presume it was to filter out those who may have HIV but didn't want to draw attention to themselves by not giving blood.

I don't understand the pronoun thing. If you're talking to me, it's Richard or sir or you (oops, thats' a pronoun) or Mr. Me. If you're using pronouns, then you're talking about me, and I'm not listening.

They might write a report on you, and that is part of your personal medical data, which you have a right to access, so you might read it. Imagine reading “Richard has a minor lung infection and is complaining about chest pains. She also has a history of smoking”.

Years ago I worked at the Ritz-Carlton and we had ladies and gentlemen serving ladies and gentlemen....

I wonder if R-C has had to change this morto as we are in new environment which is more ompassionate to people who are somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between male and female identification.

Now that the effects of the anesthesia have worn off and I have thought about this more, I believe that this is an attempt to do the right thing accommodate those with nonconforming gender identities. I am hopeful that it is early, and they can continue to educate their staff better on how to be more comfortable with the process.