Earworm

Courage
This topic is 1617 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't choose because K-pop is inherently earwormy! But here, have one.

Lost in translation for me. :-) I have a friend who loves Asian stuff, particularly Bollywood and Korean pop and soaps--has even been to award shows in the US. I'm pretty sure she doesn't speak any Indian languages or Korean, but she loves it all the same.

Interesting. It's like French New Wave or something.

The song was composed by both members of the group, Catherine Ringer and Fred Chichin. It is a tribute to Argentine dancer and choreographer Marcia Moretto, who participated in the band's tours before her death from breast cancer in 1981 at the age of 32. With this song, the group enjoyed extensive media coverage; indeed, "the music video for the single [was] a success which result[ed] in repeated and enthusiastic broadcastings on the television, the extravagance of the group express[ing] itself as well in concerts as during its cathodic performances." Philippe Gautier directed the vibrant and widely viewed music video that accompanies the song, and gathered in a global concept representative of the arts of its time, Jean-Paul Gaultier and Thierry Mugler for the costumes and graffiti painters from the Figuration libre movement as well as Xavier Veilhan for the set design. Despite its Spanish title, the lyrics are in French.

Marcia, she dances on satin, on rayon,

On polysyrene expanded around her feet.

Marcia dances with her legs,

Sharp like cleavers,

Two arrows which give ideas,

Sensations,

Marcia, she is thin,

Pretty on the screen, pretty in the town,

Seeing her dancing makes me excited.

Moretto, your mouth is huge,

When you smile and when you laugh,

I laugh as well, you love life so much,

What is then this cold that I sense from you?

But it's the death which assassinated you, Marcia,

It's death which consumes you, Marcia,

It's cancer which you took in your arms,

Now, you are ashen, ashen,

Death, it's an impossible thing,

And even you who is strong like a rocket,

And even you, who is life itself, Marica,

It's death which emanates from you

Marcia danses a little Chinese,

Heat in the movements of her shoulders,

Flat like an Incan hyroglyph.

Of the opera

With her head, she dances very well,

And her face dances with all the rest,

She found a new way,

And she invented it.

It's her, the grasshopper,

The siren of lovesickness,

The dancer in flannel,

Or cardboard

Marcia...

Edited by Unicorn

In France, the song had a long chart trajectory, remaining on the Top 50 charts for 29 weeks. It debuted at #33 on April 27, 1985, and climbed regularly until it peaked at #2 for three consecutive weeks. In all, it spent 17 weeks in the Top Ten.

"Marcia Baïla" is currently the 187th best-selling single of all time in France, with about 800,000 units sold. The song was Rita Mitsouko's first big hit and propelled them to considerable fame.

Here's a not-so-literal English translation, though not quite so accurate a translation, probably more accurate as an interpretation:

Lost in translation for me. :)

Hopefully not literally; I picked a subtitled version over a performance I liked better for that very reason. Musically, they're most influenced by J-rock. Should be interesting when they debut in Japan later this year.

I don't read Hangul and mostly don't understand spoken Korean, but I've picked up a few words and phrases: love, follow, make some noise, yes, you, I, bulletproof, brown, burning up, I am the best.

Now I can't get this song out of my head. I practically couldn't understand a word of what she was singing until I looked up the lyrics. Can you make heads or tails of her without reading the words? They're a real anthem for Borderline Personality Disorder!

Now, here are the lyrics. Without them, she might has well have been singing in Albanian...

Which version do you like better? Strange that this song hit #1 for 3 weeks in the UK, as well as #1 in Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand, but never even got into the top 100 in the US!

After being delayed for two months, "Wuthering Heights" was officially released in early 1978 and entered the top forty in the official singles chart in the United Kingdom at number twenty-seven on 18 February and quickly rose to number one three weeks later dethroning ABBA's "Take a Chance on Me" from the top spot. Bush became the first female artist to have a self-penned number one hit in the UK. The single release unwittingly pitted Bush against another female vocalist also charting with her first UK hit: Debbie Harry with her band Blondie and their single "Denis". Amid much public discussion about the two singers' merits, Bush came out on top, while Blondie stalled at number two. "Wuthering Heights" remained at number one for an entire month until it was replaced at the top by Brian and Michael's celebration of the then-recently deceased artist L. S. Lowry, "Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs". Bush's début single finished the year as the tenth highest-selling and was certified gold by the British Phonographic Industry, denoting sales of over half a million.

Success was not limited to the United Kingdom, as "Wuthering Heights" also hit number one in Ireland and Italy. It reached the top ten in Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland, as well as the top twenty in Austria and West Germany. "Wuthering Heights" proved to be successful in New Zealand, where it spent five weeks at number one and achieved a platinum status, and Australia, where it stayed at the top of the charts for three consecutive weeks and achieved a gold status. It proved to be one of the biggest hits of 1978 in Denmark.

Out on the wiley, windy moors

We'd roll and fall in green

You had a temper like my jealousy

Too hot, too greedy

How could you leave me

When I needed to possess you?

I hated you, I loved you, too

Bad dreams in the night

They told me I was going to lose the fight

Leave behind my wuthering, wuthering

Wuthering Heights

Heathcliff, it's me, I'm Cathy

I've come home, I'm so cold

Let me in through your window

Ooh, it gets dark, it gets lonely

On the other side from you

I pine a lot, I find the lot

Falls through without you

I'm coming back, love

Cruel Heathcliff, my one dream

My only master

Too long I roam in the night

I'm coming back to his side, to put it right

I'm coming home to wuthering, wuthering

Wuthering Heights

Ooh, let me have it

Let me grab your soul away

Ooh, let me have it

Let me grab your soul away

You know it's me, Cathy

Edited by Unicorn

Hopefully not literally;

Followed the subtitles and heard what sound like pop-type hooks, but even in English there's only a few true pop songs I know well. So I'm definitely not the best judge. I find the popularity of K-Pop by English-speaking audiences to be an intriguing and positive thing, especially these days.

One of my friends recently married a Swedish woman and I asked her why the Swedish rock bands we talk about (The Caesars, The Hives, ABBA) write and sing in English. She basically said that was where the money was.

• 1 year later...
I don't really suffer from earworms per se, but almost any song I like can pop into my head at random. Sometimes, if it's one I haven't listened to in a while, I'll go on YouTube and listen to it three, four or 15 times in a row.

I get earworms, but in addition, situations will occur for example in my life, an acquaintance's life, or they'll say something -and it will seem very germane to a song lyric or title. For example recently someone spoke about hiring a lot, and this popped into my mind...

Gman