Panhandler price points.

sync
This topic is 2148 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm curious to know if any other forumites have noticed the change in the price point approach of panhandlers. I remember when it was "can you spare some change?," then it became "can you spare a buck?," in the past few months, and again today, it was "can you spare five dollars?". Today, after giving a dollar, I received a dogmatic air of disapproval and not so much as a perfunctory thank you. Going forward my response is going to be "sorry, I can't afford you."

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're aren't too bad where I live. Outside the grocery store I'd frequent once there was a young man stretched out, and rolled up in an electric blanket asleep on the sidewalk. The blanket was plugged into an outside store electric outlet.

Another time outside the store as I entered there was a woman with a young child. The woman had a sign asking for money. Imo that was child exploitation. Inside I asked around how long she had been there. That was the first time they had seen her. I complained and threatened to call the Department of Social Services. I didn't. And the next time I was at the store she wasn't there. When I asked about her I was told that had been her only time there.

There used to be a guy with a dog and sign along one road at a traffic light. He was in a difficult place to beg because he was on the opposite side away from the driver's side. But he's been gone for awhile.

When I have been approached I tell them the address of the local welfare department and of the Catholic church.

Where I am, they've gotten more aggressive in their asks. Once I was outside the office, told the guy asking I left my wallet in the office, and he told me to go get it--that guy's been at it for months and seemingly doesn't remember I'm not giving him anything.

I generally don't give money to anyone but buskers. I keep my conscience in check by giving to the homeless shelter and food bank.

In the mid 90s, while waiting at the light on northbound 1st ave. in Maywood to go west on the Eisenhower, always saw the same woman walking in the road in a tattered jacket and sign asking for money. Fast forward 5 years later, back on that same route, same woman, same walk in between lanes.

Edited by bashful

In the mid 90s, while waiting at the light on northbound 1st ave. to go west on the Eisenhower, always saw the same woman walking in the road in a tattered jacket and sign asking for money. Fast forward 5 years later, back on that same route, same woman, same walk in between lanes.

Remember the guys who would offer to "clean" your windshield?

On a good note. Not a panhandler, but was walking down Michigan Ave. late one night in Chicago in River North. Not many people around. A guy was selling Streetwise, so I decided to buy a copy. Took out my wallet, went to get the money, accidentally dropped a $100 bill. He told me about it. I paid him $20 for the paper.

On a good note. Not a panhandler, but was walking down Michigan Ave. late one night in Chicago in River North. Not many people around. A guy was selling Streetwise, so I decided to buy a copy. Took out my wallet, went to get the money, accidentally dropped a $100 bill. He told me about it. I paid him $20 for the paper.

Several years ago while on a business trip to Chicago I tripped on a subway grate on State Street. My hand was torn up, glasses went in one direction, watch in another, and wallet flew out of my pocket and went in a third direction. A homeless guy helped me up, retrieved my glasses, watch, and wallet, and made sure I could walk over to Walgreens where I could get first aid supplies. I had no money. I got money at Walgreens but didn't see the guy when I walked past. Later in the morning I saw him and gave him some cash (can't remember whether it was $20 or $50). He didn't want to take it, but I insisted.

We have a lot of panhandlers near where I live. I have come to a decision that when anyone asks for money I will offer to buy them a meal right then anywhere near where we are. Of course, I am going on the assumption that if I give them money they are going to use it for non-food/subway things, such as liquor or drugs. A friend and I have constant arguments about my deciding for them how to spend the money. I don't care. A few people have taken me up on my offer, most do not (for whatever reason). The other day a guy called me an asshole and it was the only time that I have actually told a homeless (I am assuming) person to fuck off. It did not feel good.

In those cities that have facilities to keep homeless people warm, and who will feed anyone hungry, giving them money incentivates them to stay in the street which is bad for them, especially bad for their health.

The British givernment had some ads against giving to panhandlers:

BD2_D9753_65_AF_42_E9_9448_B93_A9_E6_CBBA8.jpg

Give to charities that try to house them instead.

I might have said this before, but it bears repeating in this thread. Las Vegas is fortunate enough to have a Catholic Charities that is very dedicated to helping the homeless. CC has very deep pockets because their fund for the homeless always takes in more in donations every month than they can spend. If you are homeless, CC will do just about anything to help you. They will feed you, they will give you groceries from their well-stocked food bank, they will find you temporary shelter, they'll help you get permanent housing, they'll set you up on job interviews, they'll counsel you on how to handle a job interview, they'll get you nice new clothes for those interviews, they'll pay for a makeover at the barber shop/beauty salon, they'll get you into rehab if you have a substance abuse problem ... in sum, they will move heaven and earth to get you off the streets.

The reason they take in more in donations than they spend every month is that they place two conditions on their assistance: 1) you have to get off the drugs/alcohol, and 2) you have to be willing to work. They've found that if a homeless person isn't willing to do those two things, they inevitably end up back on the streets. And in a feature in the local paper, the workers at Catholic Charities said that there are a surprising number of homeless who just aren't willing to work and/or aren't willing to kick their addictions. Ever since I found out about Catholic Charities' work, my view of the homeless, at least here in Las Vegas, has changed. Granted, some of the homeless I come across may not know about Catholic Charities, but whenever a homeless person asks me for money, I direct them to Catholic Charities. I even offer to let them use my phone. By the way, Catholic Charities will pick up a homeless person anywhere in the city and transport them to a temporary shelter. I don't give money to the homeless any more, but I do donate to Catholic Charities, even if its coffers are brimming.

Another way that the homeless situation in Las Vegas might be different from that of other cities is the amount that the homeless make panhandling. An article in the local paper featured a husband and wife who each panhandled two hours a day, seven days a week, so 28 hours total per week between the two of them. They tracked how much they took in a year: over $47K! OK, so maybe they're better at the panhandling thing than most homeless people, but they say that such generosity to the homeless is particular to Las Vegas. It's the mentality that if I give this homeless guy a dollar, I'll hit big on the slots tonight or all my football picks will come out. And I swear, you see some people almost falling out of their cars trying to give homeless people money. I doubt such zeal is merely passionate selflessness.

There are lots of charities for helping the homeless (to which I contribute, among others). Giving directly to panhandlers is unhelpful--damaging, in fact. Our local affiliate here in the SF Bay Area followed some panhandlers and noted them to be driving BMW's and living in nice places. Give generously to your local food bank, Feeding America, Habitat for Humanity, etc. That will actually do some good.

Where I am, they've gotten more aggressive in their asks. Once I was outside the office, told the guy asking I left my wallet in the office, and he told me to go get it--that guy's been at it for months and seemingly doesn't remember I'm not giving him anything.

Honesty is the best policy. If someone asks you for a spare dollar, and you don't want to give, just say "No, sorry."

Honesty is the best policy. If someone asks you for a spare dollar, and you don't want to give, just say "No, sorry."

You're right. That day I actually didn't have the wallet--it was notable to me that he persisted. I've told him no without an excuse several times.

Seems nowadays all you see in San Francisco is fecal matter. Back in the early 2000's, the sign of choice was "Spare Change?". Then about 2004, the signs seemed to change overnight to "Why lie? I want a beer!" Once walking down a Fisherman's Wharf sidewalk, I saw the beer sign in a panhandler's hand as he knelt under a Help Wanted sign in the window of a Johnnie Rocket's restaurant. The window sign read, "Looking for fun loving people for exciting career."

Who's more fun-loving than a guy who admits he likes to drink beer?

In the Oak Lawn area of Dallas (predominantly gay neighborhood) there is a well-known homeless woman who has been dubbed Crazy Mary-Queen of Oak Lawn. The Oak Lawn area has adopted her and looked over her for the past 30 years. In face, a Facebook page has been set up to report on her comings and goings as well as her current needs. Search Facebook for Crazy Mary Quuen of Oak Lawn. Not too long ago she was presumed dead since no one had seen her in a very long time. The local gay newspaper The Dallas Voice even printed an obituary about her. She was subsequently found to be alive. Even the Dallas Morning News ran a story on her. She’s quite an interesting lady.

There is a men's rescue mission here where I live but its religious.

Unfortunately because the government seems to discard people group by group religious groups take over - tho they have always provided such help. They just have to supply more and really can't keep up with the great demand on their own.

Yes. Outside Willis Tower (apologies to Sears Tower fans), a guy (2nd time) started to give his story about needing money for the L because of his pass or something. I looked at him, and reminded him he tried the same thing on me a couple of weeks ago. He turned and walked away.