Chop Chop (Phrase)

Avalon
This topic is 2161 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've heard it for years and perceived it to mean "on the double." One of the Asian bartenders at the Asian-owned Web bar in New York used it all the time.

But I see it as a word an Asian can use but not by anyone outside the group. Gays have words and races have words that only members of that particular group can use but not by those outside the group.

But I see it as a word an Asian can use but not by anyone outside the group. Gays have words and races have words that only members of that particular group can use but not by those outside the group.

No, no, a thousand times no. It's not a racially charged word, it's an anglicised version of a Cantonese expression. It's not even associated with it etymological origins any more, it's now a fully assimilated English expression.

No, no, a thousand times no. It's not a racially charged word, it's an anglicised version of a Cantonese expression. It's not even associated with it etymological origins any more, it's now a fully assimilated English expression.

Thanks! I stand corrected.