Favorite spontaneous meal memory

samhexum
This topic is 2155 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Years ago, some friends and I got tickets to Cap Day at Yankee Stadium. An hour before leaving, I got the idea to make a baked ziti to bring along. :eek::rolleyes::confused::p

I put up a pot of water to boil, quickly drove a few blocks to a supermarket for supplies, then threw it all together in a large foil pan. It was ready just as it was time to go. The pan was piping hot, so I put it on a cutting board, and took it out to the car. I'd bought paper plates & plastic silverwear and brought along a ladle to serve it with.

I was too cheap to pay for parking, so I parked two blocks away, and trudged with this heavy package to the stadium (I use A LOT of cheese in my ziti). This was long enough ago that they actually let me in with it, & off I went... to the upper deck, of course. There were 5 or 6 of us total (we didn't all travel together), and fortunately, we were in the front row, so we had a little ledge to balance the plates on. My friends all laughed when they realized what I'd brought, as did the people around us.

The best part came mid-game. They did the 'guess the attendance' game on the scoreboard, and when the actual figure was posted, a guy behind us said "Great... 50,000 people and they bring ONE pan of ziti!"

Years ago, some friends and I got tickets to Cap Day at Yankee Stadium. An hour before leaving, I got the idea to make a baked ziti to bring along. :eek::rolleyes::confused::p

I put up a pot of water to boil, quickly drove a few blocks to a supermarket for supplies, then threw it all together in a large foil pan. It was ready just as it was time to go. The pan was piping hot, so I put it on a cutting board, and took it out to the car. I'd bought paper plates & plastic silverwear and brought along a ladle to serve it with.

I was too cheap to pay for parking, so I parked two blocks away, and trudged with this heavy package to the stadium (I use A LOT of cheese in my ziti). This was long enough ago that they actually let me in with it, & off I went... to the upper deck, of course. There were 5 or 6 of us total (we didn't all travel together), and fortunately, we were in the front row, so we had a little ledge to balance the plates on. My friends all laughed when they realized what I'd brought, as did the people around us.

The best part came mid-game. They did the 'guess the attendance' game on the scoreboard, and when the actual figure was posted, a guy behind us said "Great... 50,000 people and they bring ONE pan of ziti!"

When you put up a pot of water to boil and then went to the store was there anyone at home? I'd be afraid to leave it alone in case something happened and you were not able to return home timely.

I am always nervous leaving my home when i have anything on. Although there is a grocery store half a block away, i am leary in case something happens to me and house burns down along with my cats.

I'm that way. When I could get out and about I'd take a morning walk to a mom & pop store a couple of blocks away but I'd wouldn't leave anything on.

I had a friend - older Latina, now deceased - who like to light religious candles at home. One time while she was gone her house caught on fire.

I remember a New Years Eve dinner. My housemates and I managed to throw a great dinner together with what we had on hand. This was back when all the stores closed early on New Years Eve. We scared up some Asti wine somewhere and watched the Berlin Philharmonic perform Beethovens Ninth Symphony on TV. I've always remembered it as a paricularly nice time.

Bringing 2 bottles of champagne, proper champagne glasses, and some home made sponge cake to the London gay pride.

Not sure you call that a meal, but that is all the calories we had until the next morning.

Well, if that's all the calories you consumed, it couldn't have been that great a night! :cool::p:rolleyes: