Maggie Smith, International Treasure

LoveNDino
This topic is 2137 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My appreciation of Maggie Smith as increased as she has aged. I've never been a great fan of her very early work. One of my absolutely favorite films that she did is a little known 1972 work entitled "Love and Pain and the Whole Damn Thing" with Timothy Bottoms. I find it absolutely charming and usually watch it two or three times a year

Two things I had to break out loud and laugh about in the clip. First, where she describes being stuck in a trailer in the snow waiting to be called with Miriam Margolyes. I would have paid anything to be there. Second, where she is talking about the fact that there are so few good parts written for older actresses and when there are Judi [Dench] has always got there first . . . Jude always has her "paws" on them first.

Second, where she is talking about the fact that there are so few good parts written for older actresses and when there are Judi [Dench] has always got there first . . . Jude always has her "paws" on them first

Similar to when Tina Fey & Amy Poehler hosted the Oscars, and said "There are plenty of parts for older actresses named Meryl Streep".

Last night Masterpiece re-ran the first episode of Downton Abbey, I didn't realize the famous "What is a weekend" line was in that first episode.

I watched Gosford Park yesterday for the umpteenth time and I never noticed that detail. Written by Julian Fellowes, who'd go on to create Downton Abbey.

I've watched many times as well, including with commentary by Altman.

And this is the first time I've noticed the gay undertones in Bob Balaban & Ryan Phillipe's relationship, when Bob asks Ryan "Will I see you tonight?" on the night Ryan's taking the "warm milk" to Kristin Scott Thomas's room.

I also listened to the Fellowes commentary and he noted that the Ivor Novello character was supposed to be gay. I did not see anything in the film itself that intimated that unless it was his very connection with the Balaban character. The other thing that I thought had gay undertones is when the duties of who was going to dress the various visitors to the house. The Jeremy Swift character (I believe - he was the butler to Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey) says that he assumed that he would be the dresser to Novello and the Richard Grant character says something like, "I'm sure you did. You no doubt would like to see him in his underdrawers."

Edited by TruthBTold

OK, some final thoughts (I promise!) I watched the film again and then listened to the Altman commentary. He reiterated Fellowes' allegation but more forcefully that Novello was gay. When you listen to one of the major songs of Gosford Park it is sung by the Ivor Novello character and is one that Novello had actually written. It is beautiful. It sort of reminded me of a sadder Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Altman stated that he believed that it was meant to allude to Novello's homosexuality. At any rate, the song is sung live by the actor Jeremy Northam who also plays the piano. Several Novello songs appear in the film. This is Ivor Novello:

220px-Ivor_Novello.jpg

OK, some final thoughts (I promise!) I watched the film again and then listened to the Altman commentary. He reiterated Fellowes' allegation but more forcefully that Novello was gay. When you listen to one of the major songs of Gosford Park it is sung by the Ivor Novello character and is one that Novello had actually written. It is beautiful. It sort of reminded me of a sadder Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Altman stated that he believed that it was meant to allude to Novello's homosexuality. At any rate, the song is sung live by the actor Jeremy Northam who also plays the piano. Several Novello songs appear in the film. This is Ivor Novello:

220px-Ivor_Novello.jpg

Would be fun to play this movie with a group. Novello and his Hollywood friend are both gay and Ryan Phillipe plays the friend's paid companion.

I became interested in Novello because of this movie and learned that he was gay. When he passed, his partner had to remain in the background during the formalities. Can you imagine that? His Land of Might-Have-Been sadly became even more apropos.

I understand that Ivor Novello is quite a big deal in the UK to this day. He wrote so many famous songs. Altman gained a lot of cred with me for his comments about Novello being gay and how that circumstance of life is reflected in the closing reprise of his song.

[MEDIA=vimeo]196170857[/MEDIA]

Edited by E.T.Bass

Would be fun to play this movie with a group. Novello and his Hollywood friend are both gay and Ryan Phillipe plays the friend's paid companion.

I became interested in Novello because of this movie and learned that he was gay. When he passed, his partner had to remain in the background during the formalities. Can you imagine that? His Land of Might-Have-Been sadly became even more apropos.

I understand that Ivor Novello is quite a big deal in the UK to this day. He wrote so many famous songs. Altman gained a lot of cred with me for his comments about Novello being gay and how that circumstance of life is reflected in the closing reprise of his song.

[MEDIA=vimeo]196170857[/MEDIA]

As a matter of fact I believe Britain gives out a major honor/award in Novello's name. Of course, gay people are never taught about him. P.S. Thanks for including the clip. It really is a lovely song.