Hotel health club attire etiquette

JohnGerman
This topic is 2156 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I will be visiting Vegas in a few weeks and will be staying at a big Strip hotel. As I will have a night time flight on the way back, I am thinking about spending the afternoon before my flight in the hotel health club/gym. I have my own monthly gym membership for work-out at home. So I almost never visit a hotel gym/health club to work out when I travel. And this time, I am also not planning to actively exercise there, but rather just want to relax and hang out, as I will have already checked out of my room. And no, I will not be there to "cruise." So my silly question is: should I wear sneakers and gym clothes? Or can I just wear plain street clothes going in and take them off later on? Will there be lockers for me to store my stuff? I basically know nothing about how those big hotel health clubs operate.

If you're just using the spa(and it's usually the same entrance to the spa and the gym, though some hotels have a separate no-fee-for-guests gym that has no locker/shower facilities somewhere else in the building) no need to wear gym clothes. They will give you a locker and robe/sandals/towels and you can stick your clothes there. Many people do exactly what you are doing.

Ii have been in a few Vegas gyms. They have all been quite nice. Locker room. Area to watch tv and hang, usually with TV and some refreshments. I would say you could dress as you please in most of them and there was definitely an area to change and then the facilities which, in the ones I have been in, included a sauna and jacuzzi. It really should be easy enough to look up your hotel on line and find the gym facilities pictured.

I would swing by the place before your day of departure just to make sure they aren't strict about spa being for current guests...you might need to check in to the spa before you check out of the room(you get in and out privileges all day on a pass) to make sure you aren't charged the non-guest rate.

Thanks guys for the info. That's super helpful. Yes, I will definitely check into the spa before my check out. ;) So they will for sure loan me a robe/sandals/towels then? Another big concern is will they have a safe/locker for me to use? I will have my wallet and all the important stuff with me.

Yes the lockers will have locks or a keypad.

The ones I've been to are Mandalay Bay, Luxor, Monte Carlo(now Pak MGM), Caesars, Mirage, Flamingo. I can't imagine any wouldn't have locks.

The lockers aren't usually big enough for suitcases though you may need to check that at the bell desk.

Also you can generally go naked in the jacuzzis even though many have an old sign up saying swim attire required few pay any attention to it(though sometimes when a group of frat bros come in they all wear board shorts and it really kills the vibe..). There is at least one spa though where the jacuzzi area is co-ed so suits are required. I can't remember which it is as I have never been to it.

In the last two months, Ive used the fitness facilities at Aria and Mandalay Bay.

Neither was accessible via a locker room. Aria's overlooks pool... no showers, etc. Nice center, lots of equipment. Covered by resort fee. But if you want shower, locker, etc... need to arrange and pay for spa visit.

After working out, I even asked desk attendant "so I need to go through the halls, in the elevator, sweaty like this? " yep.

Mandalay Bay has a small cardio room adjacent nothing. Around the corner from their spa. Room key access, not much equip but adequate. No locker or changing facilities.

I didnt use the fitness center at Caesar's Palace.

Based on the two I visited, I dont think you need worry about attire. Plan to enter and leave in workout attire. Or pay for spa access

My last days, I hung out at the pool in shorts after checkout. One visit, I changed in a restroom, and one, I changed into jeans on the plane.

LB , Mandalay Bay has ANOTHER gym that is accessible through the spa. It has more equipment and is usually nearly empty. Aria likely does as well. Most of the hotels have a gym you can use for a fee thru the spa and a separate free "cardio center" which is mostly just treadmills and ellipticals and that's it.

Also the spas depending on the time of day/who is in town can be rather cruisy. Mirage isn't particularly well set up for it, but things have happened there...Mandalay Bay is VERY cruisy. But there are times when lots of straight people are around so you really need to read the crowd.

I am not really a public sex kinda guy, but you never know. Hahaha. Seriously speaking, I just need a place that I can hang out comfortably for 2-3 hours in the afternoon before heading to the airport. The extra spa fee is kind of a buzzkill, but it might still be worth it for 30 bucks.

I did that on a trip to San Francisco years ago, my flight was nearly pre-dawn, so I checked out of my hotel, midday, did some sightseeing, then went to the bathhouse in San Jose about 10:00PM and hung out there until it was time (3:00AM or so) to head to the airport.

I did that on a trip to San Francisco years ago, my flight was nearly pre-dawn, so I checked out of my hotel, midday, did some sightseeing, then went to the bathhouse in San Jose about 10:00PM and hung out there until it was time (3:00AM or so) to head to the airport.

You’re far more adventurous than I am! I’m still intimidated by those places. I don’t know why I feel so self-conscious there.

Typical gym etiquette is that if you're in the weight room, you wear workout clothing and proper shoes. No bare feet. No sandals.

If you're hanging in the spa, a towel, bathrobe or less will do. If it's sex-segregated, public nudity is not an issue. In Vegas, you'll come in wearing street clothing and have a locker to store your belongings while you relax.

Several years ago I had a work-related trip to Berlin, Germany. I was surprised that people going to the hotel spa simply left their rooms in the hotel bathrobe and rode the elevator to the spa's floor. It was totally normal to see people in robes in the halls on their way to or from a massage or the sauna. Not the lobby, I think.

A couple of friends are from Germany, they've been here for about five years. They've mentioned occasionally that Germans are much more relaxed about nudity. Their 18-month daughter just got past her "I don't want to wear pants!" phase.

On a completely unrelated tangent, trying to convince an 18-month-old girl to go down the playground slide and have her emphatically reply "Nein!" makes me laugh.