American parents invented 1,100 new baby names last year

Avalon
This topic is 2171 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
American parents invented 1,100 new baby names last year

A mom has won Reese’s Outrageous Fan contest for naming her daughter after the popular peanut butter-and-chocolate candy bar.

Renee Cupp, who named her daughter Reese E. Cupp, competed against hundreds of other Reese’s-obsessed hopefuls in the contest – which ran as a social media promotion for the new Outrageous Bars.

The North Carolina mom was a clear stand out for her devotion to Reese’s and took home the $10,000 cash prize and free candy for a year, beating out others who had Reese’s candy tattoos.

Cupp told People that she and her husband came up with idea to name their daughter after the sweet and then ultimately chose it because of their older daughter, Erica, who used to go around asking for Reese’s cups as a child, the publication reported.

Cupp said the couple decided to “take the humor and run with it,” and named their child Reese Eve Cupp — playing off their last name.

“Everyone calls her ‘Rees-ee,’” Cupp told People. “It’s our favorite candy for sure. We have it in the house almost all the time. We have the Half Pound Big Cup in our freezer and the Reese’s spread in our pantry.”

Cupp told People though the candy is pronounced Reese-is, she has always called it Reese-ees and so she kept that while naming her second child.

Fortunately for the couple, 8-year-old Reese is a fan of the name as well.

“She loves her name,” Cupp says. “She always says ‘oh, little Reese Cup. I’m a little Reese Cup.’ She loves everything chocolate.”

I'm not american so i have to ask this question: are these names predominantly in African Americans? .

The short answer to your question is yes, though they’re certainly not all.

I knew a guy who named his kid Espn. Wouldn't ya know it? Spends more time glued to the pro athletes than watching his child. I can't tell you how often other parents would say in disgust "Were you watching your son!?!" as his dad was stuffing his face and still focusing on the sports bets made instead on his phone. Sad.

I knew a guy who named his kid Espn. Wouldn't ya know it? Spends more time glued to the pro athletes than watching his child. I can't tell you how often other parents would say in disgust "Were you watching your son!?!" as his dad was stuffing his face and still focusing on the sports bets made instead on his phone. Sad.

I remember reading years ago that when ESPN first began about a man who spent all his time at the bar watching ESPN regardless of what was airing. He didn't have it at home. His wife divorced him.

But you're still gonna call him on father's day, right? ;):p:D:rolleyes:

But you're still gonna call him on father's day, right? ;):p:D:rolleyes:

Are there sports on that day? After my mother died my father married a woman who was a big big sports fan. My father let me know that I should not visit on Sundays.

Are there sports on that day? After my mother died my father married a woman who was a big big sports fan. My father let me know that I should not visit on Sundays.

She actually hated sports, she just didn't want you in her house. ;):p:D:rolleyes: