Is this what’s expected of interns these days?

Kman
This topic is 2211 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A physical therapy student has completed her rotation here at my facility this week, it’s a lot work and she did great. I was kind of waiting for a ‘thank you’ note for her supervisor cause it seems like a lot of students seem to forget that part. Not only did she send a thank you note to her direct supervisor and myself but a gift for everyone on the therapy team. Super generous and she is a student and thus broke so now I might have to offer her a job haha.

Anyway there are a lot of PT jobs available in this area so not a lot of need to try to impress. But I wonder in other competitive job markets does an intern or potential employee need to shower their potential employer with gifts just to be noticed?

Edited by Kman

I've not heard of such a thing. May be she is just a nice, generous person.

How valuable the gift she gave? A small token gift is a nice gesture and is typically within ethics codes (every company I've worked for set the limit at $25)

exactly like I said before many interns even forget a simple thank you card.

The exact gift was two 18 packs of those coffee pods...so I’m guessing it’s not much more than $20.

That would be precluded under the Code of Ethics and Conduct that I annually affirm and sign off on.

Very true. But do interns still try to give gifts to try to get a leg up?

exactly like I said before many interns even forget a simple thank you card.

The exact gift was two 18 packs of those coffee pods...so I’m guessing it’s not much more than $20.

Yeah, no ethics violation, at least not under any policy I've read.

Very true. But do interns still try to give gifts to try to get a leg up?

First I've heard of this.

I encounter interns occasionally and have never heard of one giving a gift.

My observation is that interns are treated like slave labor - paid very little and worked really hard (at least in the financial sector) - but the hope is to get a foot in the door of a prestigious firm.

I’d feel pretty uncomfortable receiving a gift from an intern in addition to the ethics concerns noted above.