Visiting A Gay Bathhouse: “It Was A Great First Time"

Avalon
This topic is 2222 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw the first video before, but not the second. He is a very articulate guy, but I too was curious about his "first time". Thanks to the second, we now know he spent the sixties in therapy, so his trip to the bath house was likely in the seventies when they became quite commonplace. However there are many of us who didn't have our "first time" until much, much later as well.

Here is another that covers his parents' reaction to the October 31, 1969 cover of Time magazine. So post-1970 is about right.

Edited by longtime lurker

My first time at the baths was not such an emotional experience, because I had already been out for years. At Xmas vacation in 1966, I was visiting my best friend, who lived in Manhattan. He said, "I visited the Everard Baths the other day, and you must try it." So I went with him, and stayed the full 8 hour limit. From then on I was hooked. A few years later, my partner and I were living in NYC, when his boss announced that that they were moving their office to new quarters on 28th St. When he got there, my partner discovered that they were directly across the street from the Everards. For a couple of years he could see whoever went in and out during the day.

My first time at the baths was not such an emotional experience, because I had already been out for years. At Xmas vacation in 1966, I was visiting my best friend, who lived in Manhattan. He said, "I visited the Everard Baths the other day, and you must try it." So I went with him, and stayed the full 8 hour limit. From then on I was hooked. A few years later, my partner and I were living in NYC, when his boss announced that that they were moving their office to new quarters on 28th St. When he got there, my partner discovered that they were directly across the street from the Everards. For a couple of years he could see whoever went in and out during the day.

I lost a good friend in the fire of 1977...Quite a shock to see the Everard Baths on the morning news...so sad to have lost many friends and relatives...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/doree/the-gay-bathhouse-fire-of-1977?utm_term=.kwnQeWQYd#.ijd1pN1Zl

sub-buzz-15224-1466121937-12.png?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

I lost a good friend in the fire of 1977...Quite a shock to see the Everard Baths on the morning news...so sad to have lost many friends and relatives...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/doree/the-gay-bathhouse-fire-of-1977?utm_term=.kwnQeWQYd#.ijd1pN1Zl

sub-buzz-15224-1466121937-12.png?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

I was in England when the fire occurred, but it was in the news there. I later learned from friends in NYC that someone I knew as a regular had been killed. The place reopened, but it was never really the same after that.