Cinco De Mayo (5th Of May)

Avalon
This topic is 2214 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

That's a shame. I'm sure you've adjusted to that reality (as I have to my gluten free existence), but alas, if I couldn't have sugar either...well, I just don't know.

I've been a diabetic for over 10 years. My mother had it; it killed her at age 56. Her mother had and although she lived into her 80s it cost her both legs (amputated below the knees, several years apart).

My doctor told me not to eat bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and cereal. Also corn, peas, oranges, grapes which I liked. When I was diagnosed I got rid of my toasters.

Little known fact: After arriving in NYC, the Titanic was going to head from NYC to Veracruz to pick up passengers and to deliver a large volume of Hellman's mayonnaise which was manufactured at the time, in a new factory outside of London. When that iceberg was hit, it was widely reported in Mexican newspapers as the Sinko de Mayo. Hence the yearly celebration.

Little known fact: After arriving in NYC, the Titanic was going to head from NYC to Veracruz to pick up passengers and to deliver a large volume of Hellman's mayonnaise which was manufactured at the time, in a new factory outside of London. When that iceberg was hit, it was widely reported in Mexican newspapers as the Sinko de Mayo. Hence the yearly celebration.

Groans and a few barely audible boos from the audience.....

Good for you. I admire the discipline. My father had it for 50 years and lived well into his 80's with minimal side effects. He agonized over his sugar levels. So many diabetics don't take it seriously until it's too late.

My mother was strict with my diet when I was a boy. One time visiting my paternal grandmother; she gave me a candy bar. Once back in the car my mother took it from me and gave it to my father.

In my teens my sister took her children and our mother and me out to lunch at an "all-you-can-eat" place. I knew I had to be careful. I skipped the potatoes. I got a bell pepper stuffed with rice. I thought my mother would be happy I chose a vegetable. On the drive home she wouldn't talk to me. Back home she took out a package of sweet rolls (they were for my father) and threw the package at me saying "If you want to kill yourself here go ahead". It took me awhile to figure out why she was angry at me. But then I realized it was because the pepper was stuffed with rice. I have many such stories!

One more. When I was a boy I had my tonsils taken out. Afterwards my mother came by while I had breakfast. It was oatmeal and I had put sugar on it. She was not happy about it.

A lesson you remember to this day!

I do indeed. I think it was in 7th grade she got upset with me and would not let me eat with the family for several days. I had to eat my dinner in the kitchen. I had no lunch also.

The reason? My mother had made a bread pudding for dessert and I gave it to my father.

I do indeed. I think it was in 7th grade she got upset with me and would not let me eat with the family for several days. I had to eat my dinner in the kitchen. I had no lunch also.

The reason? My mother had made a bread pudding for dessert and I gave it to my father.

Tough mom, uh?