Finding clients

This topic is 2187 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I think this has been discussed a bit before here and there, but I don't believe I've seen thread purely about this topic, so sorry if this is a repost. If there's another thread dedicated to this I'd very much appreciate a link to that thread.

When I first started really doing this about a month ago, I was meeting with maybe like 2-3 clients per week, which for me is an ideal pace since I don't see this as a full-time gig for myself. I was also being contacted by roughly 1-3 people a day that would end up not scheduling anything, which tbh doesn't really bother me at all, as I do just see it as part of the gig.

However recently that number has seemingly started to decline a bit. Again this is a side, part-time thing for me so it's not really a huge issue and I'm really not all that upset about it, perhaps just mildly disappointed. I've gotten slightly more out-of-shape since my last LTR, although I wouldn't say that I'm "out of shape". I've been working diligently on getting back into even better shape than I was before. Although I've overcome some insecurities here and there and I'm now in a place where I do feel that I look good, as conceited as that might sound, I can't help but feel a little bit worried that this decline in appointments has to do with clients not finding me physically attractive enough (I know, it's stupid and it probably looks like I'm fishing for compliments but I feel like I can just ramble out whatever on here so why not).

My entire approach thus far has been just waiting to be contacted. I have profiles/ads up on a couple different sites, i.e. RM, friendboy.pro, and mintboys. I've looked into getting better pictures and maybe even videos done as a possible way to attract more potential clients, but I've had trouble finding photographers, especially since MM won't approve my account, given that all my photos are selfies and MM doesn't allow profiles to have selfies. Of course the reason I want a MM account is so that all of my photos don't have to be selfies... sigh

I like the idea of keeping everything very professional, legal, and providing quality service so I'm not all that interested in trying to find clients out at like bars or anything, (which is a suggestion I've seen in a different thread somewhere on here) although I could be convinced of it if you really think it's a good, mostly safe method and you have a good argument for it.

TL;DR How can I put myself out there more than I already have, in order to draw the attention of more potential clients? Is there anything I'm doing wrong in my approach, or should I just keep at it the same way I have been, and be patient?

Perhaps your location has something to do with the number of responses you’re getting. I’m not familiar with Detroit/Ann Arbor area but my first impressions of the area are that you’ll be limited in the number on prospective contacts. Couple that with existing competition and you might initially experience a tough go of it.

Just thinking off the top of my head here. Good luck to you.

...I've had trouble finding photographers...

Get outside. Just go to the local park.

You may have to make more than one park visit to get some variety.

It should be ok to wear a muscle t-shirt and gym shorts in the park.

Or suit and tie.

Put yourself in a “G rated” position with a nice background.

Then either:

Ask a passerby to snap a photo with your smartphone.

Or just use smartphone’s timer delay.

And smile!

Get outside. Just go to the local park.

You may have to make more than one park visit to get some variety.

It should be ok to wear a muscle t-shirt and gym shorts in the park.

Or suit and tie.

Put yourself in a “G rated” position with a nice background.

Then either:

Ask a passerby to snap a photo with your smartphone.

Or just use smartphone’s timer delay.

And smile!

lol idk why I hadn't thought of using a timer.. I guess I've like, never done that haha. Thanks! I'll try it. And yeah, hopefully the weather will get good enough soon for outdoor shots!

I would agree with everyone here. There are some amateur photographers on Grindr et al.

You can also play around with self timers and angles (all the Instagram models have given me ideas for sure).

It’s harder now, but when I was starting out, I used craigslist to connect with photographers (and get comfortable being naked in front of a stranger). It can be like pulling teeth to find ones that will film naked dudes but they do exist. And many photographers are looking to expand their male boudoir portfolios right now since that’s in.

Since the personals ads no longer exist, look in the gig section. Search “male” and “erotic” and other terms together, and search “-women” to weed out dudes with cameras trying to creep on girls.

Push comes to shove, post an ad and see whom responds. That’s how I got connected with my most recent photographer, Shawn Moorman in Little Rock.

I’ve been there. If you need I could try to help more.

I would agree with everyone here. There are some amateur photographers on Grindr et al.

You can also play around with self timers and angles (all the Instagram models have given me ideas for sure).

It’s harder now, but when I was starting out, I used craigslist to connect with photographers (and get comfortable being naked in front of a stranger). It can be like pulling teeth to find ones that will film naked dudes but they do exist. And many photographers are looking to expand their male boudoir portfolios right now since that’s in.

Since the personals ads no longer exist, look in the gig section. Search “male” and “erotic” and other terms together, and search “-women” to weed out dudes with cameras trying to creep on girls.

Push comes to shove, post an ad and see whom responds. That’s how I got connected with my most recent photographer, Shawn Moorman in Little Rock.

I’ve been there. If you need I could try to help more.

Thanks! I do know I definitely need more, and better, photos lol. I can't help feeling weird about it, but I guess it's something I just need to get used to. Like I'd be more comfortable I think if I somehow found a photographer that also found me attractive but, that really shouldn't be necessary haha. I'm just new to all of this, and really used to like professional or even amateur photographers if that makes sense.

I like the idea of keeping everything very professional, legal, and providing quality service so I'm not all that interested in trying to find clients out at like bars or anything, (which is a suggestion I've seen in a different thread somewhere on here) although I could be convinced of it if you really think it's a good, mostly safe method and you have a good argument for it.

TL;DR How can I put myself out there more than I already have, in order to draw the attention of more potential clients? Is there anything I'm doing wrong in my approach, or should I just keep at it the same way I have been, and be patient?

That's the difference. We don't need to try to "find" clients, especially in a bar. They're finding us. That's why in my other thread, I discussed business cards as a way of moving things offline a bit. But I'm not looking to hand them out, I'm only using it as a supplement once they seem interested enough to FIND OUT about me.

It's kind of like on adam4adam or the former gay.com. I don't go hitting up profiles looking for clients. I allow someone to hit me up. And usually it doesn't take long. Occasionally I'll send a wink if someone looks at me, but I have to be really killing time.

Drawing clients attention is not a 1 and done answer process. What works for one, may not work for another. What worked last year may not work this year. Theres always room for improvement.

That's the difference. We don't need to try to "find" clients, especially in a bar. They're finding us. That's why in my other thread, I discussed business cards as a way of moving things offline a bit. But I'm not looking to hand them out, I'm only using it as a supplement once they seem interested enough to FIND OUT about me.

It's kind of like on adam4adam or the former gay.com. I don't go hitting up profiles looking for clients. I allow someone to hit me up. And usually it doesn't take long. Occasionally I'll send a wink if someone looks at me, but I have to be really killing time.

Drawing clients attention is not a 1 and done answer process. What works for one, may not work for another. What worked last year may not work this year. Theres always room for improvement.

Yeah, I mean that's largely what I prefer.. it just seems like it's slowed down, idk. Maybe I'm just new and haven't fully experienced really slow weeks yet haha. I haven't tried A4A yet though, partially because the site design just looks horrible and I don't want to deal with it lol. Maybe I'll try adding A4A as well though.

Yeah, I mean that's largely what I prefer.. it just seems like it's slowed down, idk. Maybe I'm just new and haven't fully experienced really slow weeks yet haha. I haven't tried A4A yet though, partially because the site design just looks horrible and I don't want to deal with it lol. Maybe I'll try adding A4A as well though.

Oh gawd no. Don’t underestimate the Adam4adam. It’s one of the longest running, most consistent sites out. The fact that i still regularly pull clients from there speaks volumes. But actually, for awhile that had dropped off and I would stop using it for a 2-3 months. But, that was in Denver...a place that’s kinda annoying when comes to business anyway. I just don’t want them to continue falling into this censor train.

At the same time, it’s not for the faint at heart. Don’t take it personal if out of 500 messages, you get 1 or 2 real clients. Madison Wisconsin is BAD for that. Then after a week, nobody hits you up.

I think right now it’s been slow due to April 18th. Not everyone owed, but I’m definitely noticing a drop off since coming out of March. Always some fucking holiday slowing shit up. Easter. St. Patrick’s. Oh, well there’s no holidays until Menorial Day. Let’s throw in TAX day. Tomorrow is Arbor Day, where’s the hype for it?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQvp1CInrIbThPJf-e70k5CyybMB7ivd7oxsumSrS7cWsfUm0

• 3 weeks later...

I actually hope it gets really, really slow.

The market has become a bit overpriced IMO with more than a few under-performers. It may be time for a correction.

Edited by Bucky

I actually hope it gets really, really slow.

The market has become a bit overpriced IMO with more than a few under-performers. It may be time for a correction.

Idk. I charge the lower-end of what's around average for my area, but honestly a large part of the reason I charge what I do is because soo much of my time ends up going towards tons of messaging back and forth with people that never end up scheduling anything. It's probably partially my location but if appointments were booked more straight-forward and less of my time went to chatting with people that never end up booking, then I could definitely see charging a significantly lower rate.

To be fair I'm also probably a bit too nice and willing to spend a lot of my time talking with people while they figure out what they want and whether or not they'd like to hire.

Also I JUST realized I originally posted this thread haha. As an update I think things being slow for a while probably did have something to do with tax season. It's definitely started to pick back up.

Oh gawd no. Don’t underestimate the Adam4adam. It’s one of the longest running, most consistent sites out. The fact that i still regularly pull clients from there speaks volumes. But actually, for awhile that had dropped off and I would stop using it for a 2-3 months. But, that was in Denver...a place that’s kinda annoying when comes to business anyway. I just don’t want them to continue falling into this censor train.

At the same time, it’s not for the faint at heart. Don’t take it personal if out of 500 messages, you get 1 or 2 real clients. Madison Wisconsin is BAD for that. Then after a week, nobody hits you up.

I think right now it’s been slow due to April 18th. Not everyone owed, but I’m definitely noticing a drop off since coming out of March. Always some fucking holiday slowing shit up. Easter. St. Patrick’s. Oh, well there’s no holidays until Menorial Day. Let’s throw in TAX day. Tomorrow is Arbor Day, where’s the hype for it?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQvp1CInrIbThPJf-e70k5CyybMB7ivd7oxsumSrS7cWsfUm0

I cancelled A4A because it felt soo negative, but then just recently I set it up again and now it's like, not been negative at all haha, so you're definitely right. Also I should've quoted you in my last reply too, because I'm starting to think it definitely had a lot to do with tax season or something lol. A4A does seem a bit tricky though because my normal rate is generally too high for people on there, but I've been trying to figure out a rate that works better for A4A. Guys from A4A seem way less willing to discuss the rate with me than guys from other sites, so it's been a little difficult figuring out a good rate for A4A. The thing I do feel kinda bad about is that I have to just list my ad as masseur, and although I'm comfortable with offering massage, I'm not like actually a masseur and I'd hate to think that I'm insulting others that do it seriously as a profession by listing myself that way. Then again, it's A4A so..... I probably shouldn't be worried about that lol.