Lesley Gore Was A Lesbian

Avalon
This topic is 2217 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Dusty Springfield. Ok, now I can claim total expertise on this subject.

I was called, in print, the greatest Dusty expert I the USA. My pal, Paul can claim that title internationally.

I was privileged to not only see Dusty perform live, but met her personally on a number of occasions.

She was an incredible performer, but alas, she suffered from bipolar disorder aa well as alcohol and drug additions.

She conquered drinking but drugs (prescription) were another problem.

Yes, she was gay and had many female partners. Her Irish Catholic background and the fact that she grew up in the '50's perhaps had a to to do with her closeted mentality, although there were times that she pushed the envelope, with quotes to the Evening Standard in 1969 like “I know I’m as perfectly capable of being swayed by a girl

as by a boy. More and more people feel that way and I don’t see why I shouldn’t.”

There have been a slew of movie scripts floating around for a biopic on her life. There have been at least 10 different stage productions, but in the end, the problem is that you can't replicate or come close to the voice. Right now, the rumor mill has it, Downton Abby actress Lily James may do a biopic. Madonna once had the rights. Adele is a great singer, but she is no Dusty, and Adele is the first to admit it. She was "attached" to one project, but that was in 2013. Even Kristin Chenowirth was once involved in a biopic.

Right now a new stage production is being presented in the UK and is on its way to the West End. This once has a bit more power and credence behind it, as it is being produced by Dusty best friend, Vicki Wickham.

The late singer's rise to fame will be documented in the production, which is being written by Sandi Toksvig after she was contracted by producers Vicki Wickham - who was the former manager of Dusty - and theatre mogul David Ian.

Vicki has admitted she's seen ''numerous really bad'' shows and scripts written about Dusty - who died from breast cancer in 1999 aged 59 - that haven't captured the true colourful life that she led, and she's determined to show a side to the blonde beauty that no one knows about.

She told the Daily Mail newspaper: ''I keep going to these and coming out going, 'Yes, the music's great - but it has nothing to do with Dusty!

''Dusty was extraordinary. Yes, she could drive you mad - all divas do. But there's such a lovely side to her that should, and will, be told.''

The musical - which is still yet to get a director and is currently without a title - will feature Dusty's most famous songs, such as 'Son of a Preacher Man', 'I Only Want to Be with You' and 'Yesterday When I Was Young'. Vicki has vowed the production will venture into the dark side of Dusty's personality but will end on a high note.

She said: ''I promise you, you'll come out happy and singing.''

Oddly enough, Vicki, along with author, Penny Valentine, wrote the warts-and-all bio of Dusty called "Dancing With Demons" which chronicled the sad, alcohol, and drug fueled events in Dusty's life.

Anyway, Dusty has been deceased for 19 years but she is not forgotten. She has her OBE and has been inducted into the USA and UK Rock and Roll Halls of Fame, her recordings of "The Look of Love" and her album Dusty In Memphis have been placed in the Grammy Hall of Fame.

Dusty Springfield. Ok, now I can claim total expertise on this subject.

I was called, in print, the greatest Dusty expert I the USA. My pal, Paul can claim that title internationally.

I was privileged to not only see Dusty perform live, but met her personally on a number of occasions.

She was an incredible performer, but alas, she suffered from bipolar disorder aa well as alcohol and drug additions.

She conquered drinking but drugs (prescription) were another problem.

Yes, she was gay and had many female partners. Her Irish Catholic background and the fact that she grew up in the '50's perhaps had a to to do with her closeted mentality, although there were times that she pushed the envelope, with quotes to the Evening Standard in 1969 like “I know I’m as perfectly capable of being swayed by a girl

as by a boy. More and more people feel that way and I don’t see why I shouldn’t.”

There have been a slew of movie scripts floating around for a biopic on her life. There have been at least 10 different stage productions, but in the end, the problem is that you can't replicate or come close to the voice. Right now, the rumor mill has it, Downton Abby actress Lily James may do a biopic. Madonna once had the rights. Adele is a great singer, but she is no Dusty, and Adele is the first to admit it. She was "attached" to one project, but that was in 2013. Even Kristin Chenowirth was once involved in a biopic.

Right now a new stage production is being presented in the UK and is on its way to the West End. This once has a bit more power and credence behind it, as it is being produced by Dusty best friend, Vicki Wickham.

The late singer's rise to fame will be documented in the production, which is being written by Sandi Toksvig after she was contracted by producers Vicki Wickham - who was the former manager of Dusty - and theatre mogul David Ian.

Vicki has admitted she's seen ''numerous really bad'' shows and scripts written about Dusty - who died from breast cancer in 1999 aged 59 - that haven't captured the true colourful life that she led, and she's determined to show a side to the blonde beauty that no one knows about.

She told the Daily Mail newspaper: ''I keep going to these and coming out going, 'Yes, the music's great - but it has nothing to do with Dusty!

''Dusty was extraordinary. Yes, she could drive you mad - all divas do. But there's such a lovely side to her that should, and will, be told.''

The musical - which is still yet to get a director and is currently without a title - will feature Dusty's most famous songs, such as 'Son of a Preacher Man', 'I Only Want to Be with You' and 'Yesterday When I Was Young'. Vicki has vowed the production will venture into the dark side of Dusty's personality but will end on a high note.

She said: ''I promise you, you'll come out happy and singing.''

Oddly enough, Vicki, along with author, Penny Valentine, wrote the warts-and-all bio of Dusty called "Dancing With Demons" which chronicled the sad, alcohol, and drug fueled events in Dusty's life.

Anyway, Dusty has been deceased for 19 years but she is not forgotten. She has her OBE and has been inducted into the USA and UK Rock and Roll Halls of Fame, her recordings of "The Look of Love" and her album Dusty In Memphis have been placed in the Grammy Hall of Fame.

I know that you could not be saying that Madonna is less talented a singer than Adele. Of course, there was nothing like Dusty Springfield and it is sad that so much sadness had to go into making so much greatness. But that happens in many great artists lives. Unfortunately we get to be the ones who enjoy the her musical talent and seldom know of the problems associated with it.

I know that you could not be saying that Madonna is less talented a singer than Adele. Of course, there was nothing like Dusty Springfield and it is sad that so much sadness had to go into making so much greatness. But that happens in many great artists lives. Unfortunately we get to be the ones who enjoy the her musical talent and seldom know of the problems associated with it.

If he didn't I will. Madonna is not the singer that Adele is. Madonna may be more of a performer, but her voice is pretty thin(particularly with the higher range) if you listen to the singing.

If he didn't I will. Madonna is not the singer that Adele is. Madonna may be more of a performer, but her voice is pretty thin(particularly with the higher range) if you listen to the singing.

Now that I read my post again my language is exactly opposite from what I intended. I am glad that you voiced your opinion on the subject because it is what I meant. Adele is a much better singer tho I must admit Madonna looks better in breast cones.