Harry Potter

Avalon
This topic is 2251 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The audiobooks are also excellent.

Kevin Slater

Indeed, they are quite popular - I had to wait a few weeks to get them from the New York Public Library, but they were worth the wait! (Keep in mind, the last book in the series was published 10 years ago and they still have a wait list for a few weeks to this day!!)

I read all the books. My reading list is fairly diverse, and I've always considered young adult novels to be a guilty pleasure. Having three school teachers in the family helped with that. When I'm doing heavy reading it's nice to have something easy to read, uplifting, and something I can chew through in a couple sittings. I distinctly remember one summer vacation after "...Chamber of Secrets" was published, and we had to go out to a bookstore and buy second copies of the first two books. We had nine adults fighting over them. It was interesting to see J. K. Rowling grow as a writer over time. I believe that I was fortunate to have read the first few books before the worldwide fervor over the franchise.

I think I would have liked to see more directors involved with the films. I was glad that Christopher Columbus dropped out after the second movie. The adaptation of "Chamber of Secrets" was IMO way too long. Alfonso Cuarón's treatment of "Prisoner of Azkaban" culled the story well in addition to making the transition from children's movies to something that supported the darker themes. I believe that Mike Newell and David Yates did pretty well with the more expansive stories and the grown-up themes. I do, however, wish that they had found different directors to interpret each of the last two books (and three movies). With Yates's style imprinted across the franchise it feels more like a serial, or, at worst, like a CW TV series. A different director certainly should have been selected for the "Fantastic Beasts" movies.

Jumping on this bandwagon, I'm a huge fan. A friend attended the Harry Potter play (The Cursed Child) in London, I was sooo envious. Can't wait until it makes it closer to me.

Showing on Broadway in NYC until the end of April. :D